Options

Sky Multiroom & Family Bundle package

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there, I'm new to sky and have signed up for a Sky Multiroom & Family bundle package which will allow me free acess to box sets too.

I've checked Sky's help page and this forum to see if anyone has alreadyy asked these questions and cant see that they have within the first several pages of the forum.

My questions are...

1) Will I be able to access anything that's recorded on the main Sky+ box on the normal Sky box in the other room?

2) If the answer is no to then will I be able to access the on demand box sets and catch up tv?

I've been given Sky Go free with having Multiroom but I want to watch programmes on the TV and not on my iPad or laptop. So if it is only live TV that I'm able to watch then it's not worth the extra payment for multiroom?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Hi there, I'm new to sky and have signed up for a Sky Multiroom & Family bundle package which will allow me free acess to box sets too.

I've checked Sky's help page and this forum to see if anyone has alreadyy asked these questions and cant see that they have within the first several pages of the forum.

My questions are...

1) Will I be able to access anything that's recorded on the main Sky+ box on the normal Sky box in the other room?

No, planner sharing was announced as 'coming', with many of the updates over the last few years building towards it - but (according to beta testers on here) has now been shelved.

2) If the answer is no to then will I be able to access the on demand box sets and catch up tv?

I've been given Sky Go free with having Multiroom but I want to watch programmes on the TV and not on my iPad or laptop. So if it is only live TV that I'm able to watch then it's not worth the extra payment for multiroom?

Rather a strange point of view :D

The whole idea of multiroom is to give you a second live TV box, if you only want to watch recordings you only need the single box.

As far as I'm aware you should be able to get the on demand and catchup on the second box - but why not just get a second Sky+, so you can record on the second box just like the first (you can get them from Cash Converters etc. for under £30).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, planner sharing was announced as 'coming', with many of the updates over the last few years building towards it - but (according to beta testers on here) has now been shelved.

Rather a strange point of view :D

The whole idea of multiroom is to give you a second live TV box, if you only want to watch recordings you only need the single box.

As far as I'm aware you should be able to get the on demand and catchup on the second box - but why not just get a second Sky+, so you can record on the second box just like the first (you can get them from Cash Converters etc. for under £30).

Hi there, thanks for answering. The reason I asked about whether I would have access to the recordings on the Sky+ box is to be able to watch them when I'm in bed :blush: But if I can get on demand and box sets on the bedroom box then thats great. At least I won't be restricted to live TV if having a lazy day.

Thanks again :)

P.S. I will look out for a cheaper Sky+ box. Sky want to charge me £150 for a second one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi there, thanks for answering. The reason I asked about whether I would have access to the recordings on the Sky+ box is to be able to watch them when I'm in bed :blush: But if I can get on demand and box sets on the bedroom box then thats great. At least I won't be restricted to live TV if having a lazy day.

You can do that without multiroom, by using an RF feed and a magic eye (but you need an adaptor on the current boxes), though it's only analogue RF quality - but I watched the Japanese Grand Prix like that on Sunday :D

P.S. I will look out for a cheaper Sky+ box. Sky want to charge me £150 for a second one!

Like I said, try Cash Converters (or similar) - I got mine for £29.95 - and this is the standard price. Make sure you get a newer 'small' Sky branded one, you can even get the latest WiFi ones for the same price.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought to get Catchup & On Demand, you needed a Sky+ box, i didn't think it was possible on a non recordable box?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought to get Catchup & On Demand, you needed a Sky+ box, i didn't think it was possible on a non recordable box?

Even more reason to get a Sky+ box then? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even more reason to get a Sky+ box then? :D

Indeed, but it means the OP will only get Live TV on their bedroom box, they were under the impression they would get Catchup & On Demand, from your answer, which they will not.
  • Options
    the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the OP will get catchup/boxsets on the second tv if they use magic eye, as Nigel has also explained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the-master wrote: »
    But the OP will get catchup/boxsets on the second tv if they use magic eye, as Nigel has also explained.

They would, but if you read the posts, the OP is clearly getting a second box, and says they didn't want to waste the money on it, if they could only get live TV on it, with the box supplied.

If they are going to use a magic eye, then they do not need the second box, but Nigel advised they would get Catchup/On Demand on the second box, which is wrong, so the OP need to know the correct facts, otherwise they will be disappointed.

Also, a magic eye would be more outlay, as they would not only need the magic eye, but also an IO adapter for the Sky box, although this is cheaper than the multiscreen subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would, but if you read the posts, the OP is clearly getting a second box, and says they didn't want to waste the money on it, if they could only get live TV on it, with the box supplied.

If they are going to use a magic eye, then they do not need the second box, but Nigel advised they would get Catchup/On Demand on the second box, which is wrong, so the OP need to know the correct facts, otherwise they will be disappointed.

Also, a magic eye would be more outlay, as they would not only need the magic eye, but also an IO adapter for the Sky box, although this is cheaper than the multiscreen subscription.

Thanks Soda Fountainn. That does kind of sum up what I was asking.

If my second box is literally live tv only, without access to Box Sets and On Demand then I don't see the point of paying extra for the multiroom option. I'm not technically minded and not interested in playing around with a Magic eye or any other adapters as the other posters have suggested.

I just don't see how Sky can justyfy the additional multiroom monthly cost if all they are providing is a box that can only play live tv :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Soda Fountainn. That does kind of sum up what I was asking.

If my second box is literally live tv only, without access to Box Sets and On Demand then I don't see the point of paying extra for the multiroom option. I'm not technically minded and not interested in playing around with a Magic eye or any other adapters as the other posters have suggested.

I just don't see how Sky can justyfy the additional multiroom monthly cost if all they are providing is a box that can only play live tv :confused:

The multiscreen fee is the same, no matter what box you have.

If you have a Sky+ box, then you would get access to On Demand, the reason the standard box doesn't, is basically because it doesn't have a hard drive, and Catch Up/On Demand from Sky requires a hard drive, for the progressive download system it uses (to allow anyone with any speed broadband to get the shows at the best quality available).

I had it installed, made sure that 2 connectors were put in the bedroom (they said they would as standard anyway), then got myself a cheap Sky+ box, and just replaced it after they had gone.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The multiscreen fee is the same, no matter what box you have.

If you have a Sky+ box, then you would get access to On Demand, the reason the standard box doesn't, is basically because it doesn't have a hard drive, and Catch Up/On Demand from Sky requires a hard drive, for the progressive download system it uses (to allow anyone with any speed broadband to get the shows at the best quality available).

I had it installed, made sure that 2 connectors were put in the bedroom (they said they would as standard anyway), then got myself a cheap Sky+ box, and just replaced it after they had gone.

If the OP is more worried about being able to get on demand on the second box, then maybe the second sat cable isnt so much of an issue, as the Sky + HD box can run in single feed mode and still get on demand no problem, but if Sky do fit 2 sat feeds by default then it doesnt matter ether way.

Also if the OP wants to save money in the long run then getting someone in to install a magic eye, RF, OI adapter and I would suggest a HDMI splitter at the main box so that the HDMI from the main box can extend to the bedroom, which would work out cheaper in the long run, but would restrict the OP to watching the same thing in both rooms.
    All they would need for that would be a second Sky remote in the bedroom to operate the main box and watch on the bedroom TV.
    Its their choice though.
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will look out for a cheaper Sky+ box. Sky want to charge me £150 for a second one!

You must already have an extra room?
    Most of the above posts seem to be for customers who already have an extra room!

Currently you can get a new (as long as you don't currently have one) extra room Sky+HD box and install for free as long as you commit to the extra room @ £11.25 per month for 12 months.

This is also available if you have have a previously cancelled Multiscreen (Multiroom) subscription and want to add a new way to watch Sky in a different room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubblegun wrote: »
    You must already have an extra room?
    Most of the above posts seem to be for customers who already have an extra room!

Currently you can get a new (as long as you don't currently have one) extra room Sky+HD box and install for free as long as you commit to the extra room @ £11.25 per month for 12 months.

This is also available if you have have a previously cancelled Multiscreen (Multiroom) subscription and want to add a new way to watch Sky in a different room.

The OP clearly says they are new to Sky, and have ordered the Family bundle complete with Multiscreen install.