Options

Is This The Worst X Factor To Date?

Feline77Feline77 Posts: 753
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if it's the contestants or the song choices (which are absolutely TERRIBLE) but this year, XF is just not doing it for me. It's so disappointing.

We've had three live shows now & I've yet to see a performance that makes me really sit up & take notice. (Remember Aiden Grimshaw doing Mad World in Series 7?). Where are the standout performances this year?

I'm sick to the back teeth of ballads. Listen by Beyonce should be banned along with any other Whitney ballads & that Jennifer Hudson song - they have all been done to the absolute death. What is the point of having different themes every week if the judges are not going to mix it up with the song choices? We need Big Band week to shake things up. Even the joke act this year isn't in the same league as Jedward, Rylan or Wagner.

Andrea could sing anything but it's ballad after ballad after ballad. So boring. They had the chance last week with the 80s theme to put on a really good show but they totally wasted it.

Best singers for me this year are Andrea, Paul, Lauren & Fleur but apart from Andrea doing Earth Song in week one, they haven't excited me.

Comments

• Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen should be banned
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's fractionally as bad as last year to be honest. Literally the only saving grace of last year was Luke Friend turning out to be surprisingly good.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Don't we get this every year though? even in the Leona year some people on here said it was the worst acts/year/XF ever.
  • Options
    RyclopsRyclops Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100% agree. It's a farce this year. The only one I can see possibly having a career in music is Fleur. Performances are too over produced and backing music is too loud. This is the first series where I'm not sure if I'm actually going to watch it all the way until the end.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have to say, it's not been exactly riveting so far. Tonight was positively lacklustre.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think series 1,4 and 10 were worse. But it's not a classic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Don't we get this every year though? even in the Leona year some people on here said it was the worst acts/year/XF ever.

I do think the song choices have a lot to do with it this year. I was excited about it before the live shows started - when they had announced who was through to live shows, I thought there was massive potential. But I've just found it to be really diluted so far - nothing to get me excited. And yet there are contestants there with good voices but there's a saturation of ballads. That song Lola sang tonight was way too big for her & she screached & struggled her way through it - even she knew that, hence the tears at the end, but the judges (apart from Simon) told her she was great.

When Stereo Kicks manage to steal the show, it's worrying.
  • Options
    JennteaJenntea Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I (embarrassingly) spent the best part of an hour earlier watching all Luke Friend's performances on youtube and it just made me miss being excited for the X Factor. I looked forward to seeing what he did each week & there isn't an act like that for me this year.

It all just seems to be going through the motions & no sparks as of yet. The closest we've got (for me) was Andrea's boot camp performance.

I'm sure it'll change soon...hopefully!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a personal point of view, I can't believe anyone who sat through 2012 and 2013 can say that this year is worse than those hideous disasters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    From a personal point of view, I can't believe anyone who sat through 2012 and 2013 can say that this year is worse than those hideous disasters.

Last year's was terrible, I agree with you there. But 2012 had quite a few good acts. Ella Henderson is doing amazingly well. James Arthur was actually good (apart from needing a bit of PR training). Jahmene was also good.

Oh & Luke Friend from last year - I did like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2013 was pretty bad par Luke and maybe Tamera but I agree with Feline77 2012 had some good talent and was quite good even Rylan is a better joke act then Stevi
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We record the show and then watch it at 9pm so we can skip breaks, dull long intro's and some shit performances. I really don't know what is in their cups but the judges were creaming their pants over performances that weren't really that good.

I love Only The Young but it sounded all over the place. And I'm pretty sure the blonde girl messed up her words
    Jay was awful. It was a mess and his voice wasn't suited to it
    Andrea was just blah. I don't know what Louis was sniffing because it wasn't that great to me
    Lauren's performance was dull. The problem between tonight and her 'changing up songs the last two weeks' is because she slowed the last two songs down and then this week was just another slow ballad.
    Lola sounded so flat. Also it's like she mumbles through verses

Honestly, the only good performance of the night was Fleur. She at least brings some sense of excitement to it. X-factor has become one of those shows you need to record in advance so you can skip through a lot of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feline77 wrote: »
    Last year's was terrible, I agree with you there. But 2012 had quite a few good acts. Ella Henderson is doing amazingly well. James Arthur was actually good (apart from needing a bit of PR training). Jahmene was also good.

Oh & Luke Friend from last year - I did like him.

For me 2012 had a mix of decent niche singers and strugglers. Commercially Ella and James definitely had something about them but James was as positive as Armageddon and Ella's tone, being slightly nasal, could put some off. Jahmene could be shrill too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013 was pretty bad par Luke and maybe Tamera but I agree with Feline77 2012 had some good talent and was quite good even Rylan is a better joke act then Stevi

Tamera could have probably done with the Alexandra treatment in series 2 and being sent home to mature (no offence meant). Luke was another niche act who deafened as many people as he pleased with his singing.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song choices have been terrible at times this year. I agree with others that whilst overall 2012 & 2013 wasn't great, I think there was some interesting arrangements during those series. Luke Friend, as already mentioned, really got better as the series went on, and James Arthur had some great song choices during his time of the show.

The panel is also awful - Cheryl and Mel's obnoxious attitude whenever they get a tiny bit of criticism (see tonight's Xtra factor as one example) is just embarrassing and awkward to watch.

Xtra factor really needs to take a leaf out of BGMT's book; it's bloody awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamera could have probably done with the Alexandra treatment in series 2 and being sent home to mature (no offence meant). Luke was another niche act who deafened as many people as he pleased with his singing.

Luke's voice wasn't always great but he had a pleasant and likeable personality and was seemed quite bright which is sometimes better than a great voice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    The song choices have been terrible at times this year. I agree with others that whilst overall 2012 & 2013 wasn't great, I think there was some interesting arrangements during those series. Luke Friend, as already mentioned, really got better as the series went on, and James Arthur had some great song choices during his time of the show.

The panel is also awful - Cheryl and Mel's obnoxious attitude whenever they get a tiny bit of criticism (see tonight's Xtra factor as one example) is just embarrassing and awkward to watch.

Xtra factor really needs to take a leaf out of BGMT's book; it's bloody awful.

I think the biggest issue is there hasn't been a moment yet. As a 'standard' series it's fine but it needs a memorable performance to pull people in - even 2013 had Sam Bailey.

I do wonder if Lola was meant to have a moment with When You Believe tonight but her nerves destroyed the performance.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah Leon's and Joe's years were worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Nah Leon's and Joe's years were worse.

Leon's year had Rhydian & I loved him.
    Joe's year had Olly Murs, Jedward & there were a few others who weren't too bad.
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadnt seen any of it at all until tonight when i caught it from eye of the tiger until the end. In my esteemed opinion they are all utter pish
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed it this year up until tonight. All the contestants seemed weak apart from Paul. Even Lauren wasn't nearly so good tonight. The song choices were not good ones either.

However, this series has to be better than the year before last when James Arthur won. That was such a bad year that I almost gave up watching it, and that is saying something for me as I have followed the prog from the beginning.
  • Options
    gavh26gavh26 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the first auditions this year there was so much talent, in terms of possible acts that could win it you could of reeled off at least 10.

But when the live shows hit, hardly any of the contestants are as good as their audition performances, but I have to say I don't think it's there fault.

For me the song choices this year so far have been crap, overdone songs or completely the wrong songs for certain contestants. Jack for example his first audition was one of the better one's for me, live shows first three weeks, every song he has been given has sounded so wrong for him, the types of songs you wouldn't associate him with, and quite frankly it's been disappointing.

Same with Lola, crappy overdone songs, but in all honesty she does lack self confidence. Only The Young best band in the competition this year, and Louis decides to give them Come on Eileen, yet again you wouldn't really associate that song with them.

Paul is more soul, he sings Ghost, then tonight an Otis Redding song pure soul, and Mel B calls him a white Jay Z & decides to add some shitty pop beat into it.

Song choices have been dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed it this year up until tonight. All the contestants seemed weak apart from Paul. Even Lauren wasn't nearly so good tonight. The song choices were not good ones either.

However, this series has to be better than the year before last when James Arthur won. That was such a bad year that I almost gave up watching it, and that is saying something for me as I have followed the prog from the beginning.

I'm just completely frustrated watching it because the right ingredients are there to make a great show but they just keep getting it so, so wrong.

Good singers - check
    Good themes - check
    Extremely poor song choices by the judges/mentors - check

This is where they are going wrong. How boring was the 80s show last weekend? I expected 80s hair, makeup, stage sets, but most imporantly, some of the most fun, catchiest songs from that decade. The producers & judges completely murdered that theme in its face. They turned some great songs into...wait for it...BORING BALLADS. Jeez, what IS it with their obsession with ballads.

Look at Strictly Come Dancing. I know it's dancing as opposed to singing, but they have to switch between fast & slow performances (latin v ballroom) and they manage to make it so watchable every week. Their Movie Week theme was outstanding - they put such effort into that show, even the contestants who aren't great are still watchable because of the music, the costumes, hair, makeup etc. XF needs to really start embracing the themes each week to make this show more interesting & the performances more diverse. I can't take any more ballads, I really can't.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Pop music now is all about sex appeal and nothing to do with even IF you can sing.

THEY ARE NOT LOOKING FOR THE X FACTOR
    THEY ARE NOT LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH SINGING TALENT

So they just want someone to sell a few albums because they are sexy and then drop them and move onto next year's competition to find the next one. If someone by accident, lasts, then that is a bonus.

So this show now has nothing for anyone who isn't frankly a mindless teenager who is obsessed with their fan-crush.

They used to at least pretend that it was open to all and for everyone, but they have even dropped that pretence.

I mean come on! Over half of the acts tonight sung bloody flat and STILL the judges said they were amazing and even some on here said that they were stunning. How do you fight that stupidity? I mean singing flat is not an opinion and if someone does it then why is that acceptable and just how are they still wonderful for doing so?

It can only be that they judge on sexual attraction and the singing doesn't matter at all.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It's such a bland series. The poor selection of finalists, bar Fluer and Lauren, coupled with the non-stop bickering from the judges are making this series poor. Mel B is the only judge deserving of a seat on next years series.