If the BBC axe The Voice after S2 do you think ITV could pick it up?

iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think it's possible that another network will pick it up because i do think the show as a lot of potential and if they don't succeed with S2 and it gets the axe do you think another network will pick it up? because I can see the owners of the franchise looking for a new home for it in the UK.

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible that another network will pick it up because i do think the show as a lot of potential and if they don't succeed with S2 and it gets the axe do you think another network will pick it up? because I can see the owners of the franchise looking for a new home for it in the UK.

Sky 1
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think ITV would pick it up. They already have their 'talent' shows with BGT and X Factor adding a third would seem like an overkill. You have Dancing on Ice in January to March. Britain's got Talent from (roughly) March/April until May/June then X Factor from mid August to Christmas, there's no real place for it to fit in.

I think Sky would be the place it would end up. I actually thought Sky 1 would have been where the show started in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    its a possibility as they look set to cancel x factor after 10 series
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what happens with X Factor. If it's still going, then not a chance.

Personally, I think BBC will keep hold of it until they get it right, or until it starts being extremely costly. The potential's there for the show to be massive, and they know it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I don't think ITV would pick it up. They already have their 'talent' shows with BGT and X Factor adding a third would seem like an overkill. You have Dancing on Ice in January to March. Britain's got Talent from (roughly) March/April until May/June then X Factor from mid August to Christmas, there's no real place for it to fit in.

I think Sky would be the place it would end up. I actually thought Sky 1 would have been where the show started in the first place.

You guys still have Dancing On Ice? Do people watch it? That show barely lasted a season in the US. Only 7 episodes at that. I guess we just like dancing and that's it. It seems a lot of the celebrity shows introduced here do terrible. Like I'm A Celeb... Celebrity fear factor specials used to do well, though.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iirc ITV did bid for The Voice and actually bid higher (5 million more than the Beeb) but the makers went with the BBC, I think because they thought the BBC were best for the interests of the show(maybe because they would be playing second fiddle to the Cowell empire?). ITV I think were only interested in keeping the show away from the BBC tbh.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I think the next series of the Voice will be popular so I think its unlikely BBC will cancel it anyway. Itv would end up messing up the format so if the BBC does cancel it, I hope that will be it for the Voice in the uk.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    iirc ITV did bid for The Voice and actually bid higher (5 million more than the Beeb) but the makers went with the BBC, I think because they thought the BBC were best for the interests of the show(maybe because they would be playing second fiddle to the Cowell empire?). ITV I think were only interested in keeping the show away from the BBC tbh.

If the BBC did cancel it and ITV did bid for it, ITV would almost certainly get it because they have no other offers and it would be too big a contract for the makers to reject for the sake of pseudo integrity.

I also think ITV didn't want it just to keep it off the BBC, but to replace X Factor, X Factor could then move to post-January to (at the time) accommodate Simon Cowell & Cheryl Cole.
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I think the next series of the Voice will be popular so I think its unlikely BBC will cancel it anyway. Itv would end up messing up the format so if the BBC does cancel it, I hope that will be it for the Voice in the uk.

The danger is, if it becomes too popular then the BBC simply won't be able to afford it.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the BBC waste £20m of our money on this nonsense?
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Didn't the BBC waste £20m of our money on this nonsense?

No. That was just the cost of buying the formula which the inventor then admitted was flawed. Add at least half as much again for the production.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series One of The Voice UK proved to be successul for the BBC, now with Series Two looming and certain improvements being made to the show i thik it's going to be bigger and better. I envision The Voice UK to stay at the BBC for quite some time yet!
  • MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just say Sky One, BBC 1, ITV1 and even MTV bid for the Voice, but MTV and Sky One were dropped because of not being a free channel. And the high risk of not having very good viewers.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not so sure it will last beyond this year. I do like it though. It struggled badly after the seat turnaround auditions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I am not so sure it will last beyond this year. I do like it though. It struggled badly after the seat turnaround auditions

People seem to forget that the average viewers in millions for the series was 8.53. This series of X Factor had an 9.63 average and it's an established show. The show beat X Factor's first season, albeit by a slim margin, but people still act like it was a massive flop. The first series of X Factor had a 7.39 million average.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two year contract finishes this year. Will it be back? Can't guess it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think ITV will as they have BGT, XF, DOI, IAC,. It be to much over kill on the reality shows imo. If anything I think it would be something like Channel 4 or Sky 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think ITV will as they have BGT, XF, DOI, IAC,. It be to much over kill on the reality shows imo. If anything I think it would be something like Channel 4 or Sky 1

They tried to get it before though, and they had all of those shows back then.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the BBC ever axe anything, they have no competition as we pay for it whether we want to or not, stick it on BBC 2 maybe but after spending all that money on it they won't just drop it like a US station would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Do the BBC ever axe anything, they have no competition as we pay for it whether we want to or not, stick it on BBC 2 maybe but after spending all that money on it they won't just drop it like a US station would.

A US station wouldn't drop a show that averaged over 8 million viewers. Ever. Greys Anatomy is still on air after 8 years for that very reason. We have a population of over 300 million and 8 million viewers is good, so why would BBC get rid of a show like that over there with a population much smaller?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    The two year contract finishes this year. Will it be back? Can't guess it.

Well they have scheduled the live shows from the start of June and all in all are doing their best to set the show up to fail-the final somewhere near the longest day when people will have every opportunity to leave their tv sets behind. Quite possibly we could see some laughably low ratings which will-if the Beeb have any intention of series 3- make it very difficult to spend more millions and justify it to the public.

The Voice needs big ratings, the Beeb should have made every effort to make it easier to gain them. It should run from early January where there is more of a captive audience, and if the judges could not accommodate that then get some who could. Stuff like Britains Brightest and Animal Anitcs should go out in June-not the finale of a 25 million pound investment. At this rate they might have to broadcast the final from Bournemouth beach to get any kind of an audience.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness i do hope not there is enough sh-te on itv now without this as well.:(
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. That was just the cost of buying the formula which the inventor then admitted was flawed. Add at least half as much again for the production.

Somebody high up needs shooting at the BBC then buying a formula show with "flaws" with that amount of cash.:mad:
  • DelfordengeDelfordenge Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I've watched the The Voice US, The Voice Australia and The Voice UK.

The Voice US and The Voice Australia are far superior to the UK production - that includes the presenters and mentors/judges. The only saving grace in the UK production (for me) is Will.i.am.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched the The Voice US, The Voice Australia and The Voice UK.

The Voice US and The Voice Australia are far superior to the UK production - that includes the presenters and mentors/judges. The only saving grace in the UK production (for me) is Will.i.am.

I have seen some bits of The Voice of Germany recently and that is superior to what we had last year. They uses backing singers for the live shows who also sing the theme tune live. Also their voting system is a combination of people in the audience with the viewers at home voting. All done as a percentage. Being on two commercial networks (Sat 1 & Pro 7) does help as they have a bit on the stage called the Vodafone Lounge.