Mark Cerny Fanclub

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
Yeh.... i'm being serious...

Been researching this guy and he's awesome.

Here is an interview with him from a while back.
It's just over an hour long but well worth the watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DiboVZsXYXY

He talks about his past and a bit about the future and DRM and stuff. Very interesting.

(Skip to 1:11 for a spoiler on ps4, almost).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I know he is awesome! I think I have a man-crush on him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two dates for your calendar.

Mark is giving an in-depth talk this Thursday entitled "Road To The PS4" at Gamelab.es, where he will discuss the architecture and deep feature set of PS4. He's also delivering the keynote at Develop next month.

He is married to a gal named Kazura, btw.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    As I said in another thread I think he would make a good hypnotist due to his voice intonation and eyes.
    He would be a good Obi Wan Kenobi "you don't need to see his identification" etc....
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should make Siri for PS4. His voice would be perfect.

"Open the pod bay doors Mark......."
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    *I can't take credit for this*

We're all going on the Cerny Journey!
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched him give his talk about "The Road to Playstation 4" and everytime i see him he comes across as a passionately driven person who wants to make PS4 the best it can be
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    just watched him give his talk about "The Road to Playstation 4" and everytime i see him he comes across as a passionately driven person who wants to make PS4 the best it can be

I'm waiting for the youtube upload.... :(

Good to know it was a good talk.
  • rehmanmohamedrehmanmohamed Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the youtube upload.... :(

Good to know it was a good talk.

Wee article with quotes on The Sixth Axis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some refreshingly honest talk about the PS3 from Mark here.

http://m.edge-online.com/news/ps3s-puzzling-architecture-led-to-a-weak-launch-lineup-and-a-change-in-attitude-says-mark-cerny/

If they are true to their word, then their attitude towards PS4 should pay dividends in amazing gaming experiences for years to come.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be watching this later.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any link to the video yet?
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looking at the Wiki page for this guy and for someone who isnt exactly a big widely known name in the gaming world he has produced so many great games over the years. Arguably many better games than some of the game created by the loud mouthed look at me developers who everyone knows that are around at the moment.
    Forum Member
    He could tell me that grass was blue and the sky green and I would believe him! On a serious note, Knack is looking pretty damn fine, pleased I have pre-ordered it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if this doesn't work properly, posting from mobile.

From Edge : a brief history of Mark Cerny.

http://m.edge-online.com/features/a-brief-history-of-mark-cerny-from-atari-to-becoming-one-of-playstations-three-musketeers/
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Just looking at the Wiki page for this guy and for someone who isnt exactly a big widely known name in the gaming world he has produced so many great games over the years. Arguably many better games than some of the game created by the loud mouthed look at me developers who everyone knows that are around at the moment.

Yup, he was the guy behind Naughty Dog and Insomniac even existing today. Crash bandicoot and Spyro the dragon made $200m in profit and that led to him becoming the president of universal studios pretty much straight away.
    Forum Member
    Some refreshingly honest talk about the PS3 from Mark here.

http://m.edge-online.com/news/ps3s-puzzling-architecture-led-to-a-weak-launch-lineup-and-a-change-in-attitude-says-mark-cerny/

If they are true to their word, then their attitude towards PS4 should pay dividends in amazing gaming experiences for years to come.

What surprised me is how the PS3 required 6 months to make a working game engine (due to the complicated CELL architecture) yet the PS4 can do the same in 2 months time which is the exact same as the PS1 era. And remember games were a lot smaller and easier to make back then... wow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What surprised me is how the PS3 required 6 months to make a working game engine (due to the complicated CELL architecture) yet the PS4 can do the same in 2 months time which is the exact same as the PS1 era. And remember games were a lot smaller and easier to make back then... wow.

thats down to the architecture,with the PS4 being so similar to a PC it means that with a couple of modifications they can be quickly up and running
    Forum Member
    Here is a link guys- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns21_nMzVFM

It's not official so there is a buzz and it's LQ.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a link guys- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns21_nMzVFM

It's not official so there is a buzz and it's LQ.

That buzz was there on the live feed
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to this last night as I lay in bed. He sent me to sleep. I woke up with the earphone still in my ear.

I was very interested in what he was saying and from what I remember I got to the PS3 part and then I draw a blank lol.

His voice has a great calmness about it.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to this last night as I lay in bed. He sent me to sleep. I woke up with the earphone still in my ear.

I was very interested in what he was saying and from what I remember I got to the PS3 part and then I draw a blank lol.

His voice has a great calmness about it.

I did this too but ended up listening to the full thing.

Very interesting listen, especially about how they had a choice of GDDR5 or DDR3 with eSRAM (Xbone route) but developers told him they wanted one pool of unified memory and they went that way.

It's impressive how he has created such a high spec system in a box that's a little bit bigger than the PS3 slim for such a low price point.

I also have never heard the phrase "Time to triangle" before but once explained it was evident this was what let the PS3 down which is why x86 makes sense.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was actually quite an interesting presentation, the guy comes over as really genuine every time I see him. I really like the fact he is not afraid to talk about the mistakes Sony have made in the past and can even see certain aspects as both good and bad at the same time. It sounds from listening to him that Sony have learnt many lessons from the problems with PS3 which is hopefully a good sign for the PS4.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that was suprised when he stated 176GB per second was better than 1088GB per second, but previously stated that once the eDRAM was mastered it would unlock the true potential.

Is it actually possible Sony have gone over simplified this time around?

Why did he have to make that comparison, it just worries the uneducated amongst us - like me :D
    Forum Member
    This man has made me as excited about the PS4 launching as I was the PS1. Can you ever imagine a MS spokesman being as frank and honest as he was?