Options

Janell Wheeler Appreciation Thread

Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A lot of the other strong contestants have them, and this girl is seriously good :) She needs more airtime though :D

She's through to the Top 24, excellent!!!!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like her two but her and Didi are very alike so I can see the producers trying to pit them against each other. I prefer Didi because of her amazing rendition of 'Terrified' but Janelle could win me over yet, 'American Boy' was really good. :)
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked her rendition of American Boy too but Didi is definitely my favourite.

Basically, just look at the above comment :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Im glad at least someone replied. I think Janell could be a dark horse. She's had all of her performances aired, so she's not a total right off if she makes it through, and I think the switch back to boys/girls benefits outsiders so much more than last years format.

It doesnt hurt her that she's absolutely gorgeous either. Even if she starts to suck at some point, she could just do a Hayley Scanato and get her legs out. :p

I actually think she could end up becoming a female Kris Allen - they have the same acousticy style, and everyone loves an underdog. :p

Oh and also, I like Didi too. :)
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only seen a few bits and bobs but American Boy is my favourite performance so far.
  • Options
    peaceablegenie2peaceablegenie2 Posts: 13,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really like her, Didi and Tasha- look forward to seeing them on tonights episode!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( Poor Janell looked absolutely terrified on the show. I think she picked totally the wrong song, but did an alright job nonetheless. I did have higher expectations, but still think with the right song she could be great. :)

I think she'll survive this though. She's been shown enough to gather a following, and a lot of the girls were bad - she certainly wasnt the worst. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she looked amazing, not the best song for her, but i agree- she will be safe this week...
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What About Love is a great song but she should have done an acoustic version of it at least. At least she didn't pick the Idol favourite - Alone. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I think Janell needs to realise that she needs to stick to her strength. She's in a dangerous position, because I think whether she makes Top 12 or not is very much up in the air - she's already slipped into the middle of the girls, and she needs to have a good performance next week if shes around to get back on track.

On the plus side, I think Lacey and Ashley seriously damaged their top 12 chance this week, and I considered them two of Janell's biggest competitors for a place there. The problem is, Lilly, Katelyn, SIobhan, and Michelle all overtook her this week, and I think Lilly would have to really mess up to miss out - theres always one quirky, slightly odd girl there, and that could be Lilly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    aww, I am quite suprised at her going. I think she was better with a better song choice.

So did she get the FEWEST votes in 12th place ? Or are they announcing both in no paticular order ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didnt say. :( Im absolutely gutted though.. She had so much more potential than so many of the others. I really didnt see it coming. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Yeh I was very suprised to be honest, I didn't think she would poll of the last two votes from the 12.

I wonder if Simon's comments of "...but I think your gonna be okay, I really do" made people think she was safe.

She took it quite well though (I thought), as it must have been a slight suprise to her as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont see how she could have been in the bottom two :p Her performance wasnt the worst, every single performance of hers was shown, and she looks awesome.

Actually your right, I think Simon's comment may have hurt her. Plus his comment to Paige "I think your the best singer here" - because I think Paige was most likely to have been in 10th place this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrong result, i think Americans were confused when they voted :(
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrong result, i think Americans were confused when they voted :(

Voting is free in the USA. I think this distorts the results. When a contestant cocks up or gets a hammering from the judges their supporters sit all night on redial giving them hundreds of votes each. They have fewer fans but receive millions of votes.

Whereas when a contestant is told 'you'll be safe' they just get the usual couple of votes from each voter and can end up going.

I think that's what happened here.
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    What About Love is a great song but she should have done an acoustic version of it at least. At least she didn't pick the Idol favourite - Alone. :p

She wasn't allowed to judging by her comment at the end that she would have liked to have played her guitar.

I also agree Simon's comments about being safe don't help, he did it to Aaron also. History tells us no way are people on early guaranteed safe. He also did it to Eoghan in the X Factor final...

Disappointing as there aren't many contestants I like to begin with, I suspect the producers are rooting for Didi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read an interview. Apparently she didnt want to use her guitar this week because she wasnt totally comfortable with the idea of having to focus on playing the guitar as well as singing live on the first show because she was so nervous.

Janell acknowledged in hindsight it was a risky strategy, but at the time she had seen it as playing it safe and focussing on her voice and nerrves. She had planned on bringing the guitar out if she had got through to next week or the week after when she was a bit more comfortable on stage.

On the plus side, she seems fine with her early elimination and exit. She seems very mature about the whole thing unlike Ashley who comes accross as very bitter and bitchy about going out first. I think Janell recongnizes that it was her mistake why she went out, and I think its very endearing that she can just own up to her mistakes instead of trying to blame the judges. Ashley goes as far as saying that her performance was really good but her fans thought she was safe - her performance was atrocious.
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Janell's put up a full version of American Boy on YouTube. It's damn fine imo:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjE8iqRRyo