Options

Have just got an IPad

Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Finally, I have purchased a first gen IPad 32GB plus 3G.

The question I would like to ask is who provides the best value for money Pay as you Go package? Whilst at home I will use my own wireless connection but often have to travel. If there is a BT hotspot, I'll use that but you never know.

Just thought of any question. Who provides a PAYG service whereby you can use your IPad abroad? I'm thinking primarily of Southern Spain.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a local sim card in Spain it will be a lot cheaper, Telefonica is one of the big boys out there and do micro sims for the iPad on payg, a friend from Canada on holiday in Spain used them in the New Year IIRC.

I did similar for my phone and USB dongle in Portugal before my land line was fitted.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    It depends on your use but in the uk 3's plans are probably best value though if you are a very light user one of the other networks daily options may work out ok. 30 day sim only plans also tend to be cheaper than pay as you go

As the other post explains none of the iPad plans are designed with roaming in mind and will cost a small fortune
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    It depends on your use but in the uk 3's plans are probably best value though if you are a very light user one of the other networks daily options may work out ok. 30 day sim only plans also tend to be cheaper than pay as you go

As the other post explains none of the iPad plans are designed with roaming in mind and will cost a small fortune

He's going to Southern Spain Dave so Telefonica is his best bet.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Neo, sounds like good advice.

Silly question maybe, are there Telefonica shops in Spain or do you just go into the equivalent of a Spanish Carphone Warehouse and ask for what I need?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    He's going to Southern Spain Dave so Telefonica is his best bet.

Which is why I said "in the uk" and that none the OP could buy in the UK were designed with roaming in mind ;)
  • Options
    Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Word of Warning

I bought a first generation iPad expressly for taking to France.
    However I didn't do my homework thoroughly enough and didn't realise that there is no slot for a Sim card in iPad1.

I went into the Applestore where they informed me the only way round this is by MiFi. France Orange do a MiFi device called a "Domino" and I was lucky enough to find one on eBay France with a year's internet already installed. The Sim is installed in the Domino and I presume after the year is up I will be able to get some sort of PAYG arrangement. I am in France now and it works a treat. It won't work outside France of course but I have been told I might be able to get it unlocked. Will look at that problem if ever the occasion arises, but for the moment I am well pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My iPad 1 has a slot for a sim card (well micro sim card). Only the wifi+3G models do though. Sounds like you have the wifi only model which doesn't have a sim slot
  • Options
    Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    yes, that's right. sorry forgot to mention that.

I get so confused sometimes with ALL manufacturers making soooo many variations available. Am I the only one?