Would Denise Van Outen have been a better Linda Carter?

Comments

• deco96deco96 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Kellie Bright is an amazing actress and plays Linda Carter really well. She's only been on the show for 3 and a half months and she is slowly starting to become one of my favourite actresses/characters on the show
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think now that Kellie Bright has settled into the role a bit more that shes portrays Linda perfectly. The whole family are brilliant castings. A stroke of genius, not a weak link among them.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kasper69 wrote: »
    I think DVO is a lousy actress so no.

^^^ This.

When DVO was offered a role in EE she turned it down. She was publicly quite snotty about EE and the acting.

Now she is not getting much work she has been trying to get a role in EE. I can't see casting DVO would go down well with the cast etc as she dissed the prog and the acting. Some might well be a bit peed off with her.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deco96 wrote: »
    Kellie Bright is an amazing actress and plays Linda Carter really well. She's only been on the show for 3 and a half months and she is slowly starting to become one of my favourite actresses/characters on the show

I absolutely love her, warts and all. She's a really well rounded character and while her attitude towards Johnny's sexuality and over-protectiveness of the sainted Lee doesn't always make her likeable, it definitely makes her real.

I don't think the programme needs "celebrity" casting. So while I like Denise, I don't think that we're crying out for her presence on the Square.
  • Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Kellie Bright as Linda. She suits the role.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise Van Outen has a very cold and distant quality to her, IMO, that makes her difficult to warm to. One of the saving graces of Linda's character is that Kellie Bright is able to play her with a believable degree of warmness and vulnerability. And that's important, as the character of Linda isn't the easiest person in the world to like. I think they got Kellie's casting right, just as I think they got all the castings for the Carter family right.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    The current actress looks more like Danny Dwyer's mother than his wife. You'd imagine him to be with a more glamorous "ballsy" type like Denise Van Outen.
  • Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    No...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch Run For You Wife with DVO and DD then you will think no way
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love her, warts and all. She's a really well rounded character and while her attitude towards Johnny's sexuality and over-protectiveness of the sainted Lee doesn't always make her likeable, it definitely makes her real.

I don't think the programme needs "celebrity" casting. So while I like Denise, I don't think that we're crying out for her presence on the Square.

I agree with this, she has her faults as a character regarding her aspirations and attitudes to all of her children but this makes her seem like a real person and not a saint. She overprotects the boys and is critical of her daughter, many mothers are like this. I don't think DVO would have been a better casting choice either.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally cannot stand DVO so its a no from me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Yes.
    The current actress looks more like Danny Dwyer's mother than his wife. You'd imagine him to be with a more glamorous "ballsy" type like Denise Van Outen.

If KB looks like DD's mother, hard faced and older Denise Van Outen looks like his granny!
  • Beale_FowlerBeale_Fowler Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    ^^^ This.

When DVO was offered a role in EE she turned it down. She was publicly quite snotty about EE and the acting.

Now she is not getting much work she has been trying to get a role in EE. I can't see casting DVO would go down well with the cast etc as she dissed the prog and the acting. Some might well be a bit peed off with her.

That's completely untrue. She turned down a role as Johnny Allen's partner because she was a TV judge at the time. She is a fan of the show and has repeatedly said that she would like to join the show in the future. She's also a consummate actress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's completely untrue. She turned down a role as Johnny Allen's partner because she was a TV judge at the time. She is a fan of the show and has repeatedly said that she would like to join the show in the future. She's also a consummate actress.

[
    QUOTE]TV star Denise Van Outen has revealed she snubbed a part in EastEnders because she wanted to work with "credible" actors.
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHIRTY+DEN%3B+I+won't+do+EastEnders+..I+want+to+work+with+credible...-a0132287844
    Her act is, in fact, synthetic and self-indulgent.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-2553598/Some-Girl-I-Used-To-Know-review-Denise-Van-Outen-fails-convince-shes-woman-people.html

The problem is that she is not quite a good enough actor to pull off the one woman show.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/reviews/some-girl-i-used-to-know-theatre-review-denise-van-outen-is-not-quite-good-enough-9111432.html
    Denise van Outen and Sarah Harding's shrill yet lifeless turns betray their non-professional acting backgrounds.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=denise+van+outen+run+for+your+wife+acting+review

His nagging wives, played by Denise Van Outen and Sarah Harding, sound strident and look hard, coarse and seriously in need of acting lessons.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-2279044/Run-For-Your-Wife-Dannys-new-flick-absolutely-Dyer.html#ixzz2zqLwypJk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Forum Member
    [

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHIRTY+DEN%3B+I+won't+do+EastEnders+..I+want+to+work+with+credible...-a0132287844

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-2553598/Some-Girl-I-Used-To-Know-review-Denise-Van-Outen-fails-convince-shes-woman-people.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/reviews/some-girl-i-used-to-know-theatre-review-denise-van-outen-is-not-quite-good-enough-9111432.html

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-2279044/Run-For-Your-Wife-Dannys-new-flick-absolutely-Dyer.html#ixzz2zqLwypJk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook[/QUOTE]
    Nonsense. If you read the article you would have realised that she didn;t want to play Tina and wanted to do other stuff. That was just a headline. Not sure reviews from the Daily Mail are the best evidence. It is widely accepted that she is a very good actress and in case you didn't realise, Run for Your Wife was a joke. She has always said she'd do EastEnders:
    ‘I love 'EastEnders' and I know quite a few people in the cast. I went to school with Nicola Stapleton (Mandy) and Samantha Womack (Ronnie). And Chris Parker, who used to play Spencer, is one of my best mates. I’d love to do it and pull a few pints! I love EastEnders and I know quite a few people in the cast.'
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem with DVO is that she's limited as an actress. She'd be fine playing the brassy blonde, but I honestly think she'd struggle giving the character of Linda any depth or sympathetic qualities.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why she would when Kellie Bright is doing a really good job at Linda
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Definitely not.Kellie Bright is perfect for the role.:)
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Kellie Bright, her acting simply isn't believable. Mick needs a stronger woman, someone who loves their family life but can be feisty too. DVO is way too harsh for the part though, she's been oversold as the laddish larger lout in the past. And anyway, she's got too big an opinion of herself.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I think Kellie Bright does a wonderful job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    =Beale_Fowler;72364505]http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SHIRTY+DEN%3B+I+won't+do+EastEnders+..I+want+to+work+with+credible...-a0132287844

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook[/]
    Nonsense. If you read the article you would have realised that she didn;t want to play Tina and wanted to do other stuff. That was just a headline. Not sure reviews from the Daily Mail are the best evidence. It is widely accepted that she is a very good actress and in case you didn't realise, Run for Your Wife was a joke. She has always said she'd do EastEnders:
    ‘I love 'EastEnders' and I know quite a few people in the cast. I went to school with Nicola Stapleton (Mandy) and Samantha Womack (Ronnie). And Chris Parker, who used to play Spencer, is one of my best mates. I’d love to do it and pull a few pints! I love EastEnders and I know quite a few people in the cast.'[/]

What is nonsense? She didn't turn down the role because she was a judge on a TV show as you said.

and I quote:

Originally Posted by Beale_Fowler

That's completely untrue. She turned down a role as Johnny Allen's partner because she was a TV judge at the time.

Now you've read the article I quoted, you're saying it was because she took another TV role instead, which is true. Make your mind up.

She turned down EE becasue she wanted to work with credible actors. That's hardly going to endear her to the folk at EE. In recent years, there has been talk of her and EE, which has always been denied EE. Now her TV work has vanished, I've no doubt DVO would love to join EE. She has said so. In The Dail Mail. The same paper you dismissed as reliable evidence for my point. You can't criticise one quote but accept another because it suits your argument.

DVO was slated for her one woman show and for Run For Your Wife she also received awful reviews for her acting. RFYW didn't even make £1000 at the box office. So you are right Run for Your Wife was a joke and so was DVO. The joke wasn't in her favour.

To quote you, DVO is accepted as a 'very good actress' and is a 'consummate' actress - where, when by whom?

DVO is a good dancer and singer but a very poor actress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The character of Linda Carter has massive potential, but she seems to be stuck in a rut and that is making her quite unlikeable. I do think Kellie Bright is decent actress I'm not disputing that, but the writers really need to flesh out her character and the criminally underused Nancy also.

See, this is why TPTB should of just stuck with developing the characters of Mick, Linda, Johnny and Nancy for the first 6-8 months at least, before they even considered introducing any more Carters. I did really like Linda in her first couple of appearances, but it all went downhill ever since Johnny came out.
    Forum Member
    What is nonsense? She didn't turn down the role because she was a judge on a TV show as you said.

and I quote:

Now you've read the article I quoted, you're saying it was because she took another TV role instead, which is true. Make your mind up.

She turned down EE becasue she wanted to work with credible actors. That's hardly going to endear her to the folk at EE. In recent years, there has been talk of her and EE, which has always been denied EE. Now her TV work has vanished, I've no doubt DVO would love to join EE. She has said so. In The Dail Mail. The same paper you dismissed as reliable evidence for my point. You can't criticise one quote but accept another because it suits your argument.

DVO was slated for her one woman show and for Run For Your Wife she also received awful reviews for her acting. RFYW didn't even make £1000 at the box office. So you are right Run for Your Wife was a joke and so was DVO. The joke wasn't in her favour.

To quote you, DVO is accepted as a 'very good actress' and is a 'consummate' actress - where, when by whom?

DVO is a good dancer and singer but a very poor actress.
    I'm sorry but this is madness. The article you showed me did not say that at all. What it said was that she rejected the show because of the role of Tina Stewart (who was basically Johnny's ****) not because of the acting quality. The quote I gave you was from the Huffington Post actually - get it right! Run For Your Wife was an unfunny comedy by Vicki Michelle - everyone got slated for it. If she was a very poor actress, or even a poor actress, she would not be a successful star in the West End - far from it! The fact that she has been a success for 20 years proves my point. I accept debate about the qualities about Kellie Bright and Denise van Outen - both of whom are great - but you're just ranting about your obsessive disdain for a very good actress. As for Some Girl I Used to Know: http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Some-Girl-I-Used-To-Know-tickets/artist/1951689?list_view=1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but this is madness. The article you showed me did not say that at all. What it said was that she rejected the show because of the role of Tina Stewart (who was basically Johnny's ****) not because of the acting quality. The quote I gave you was from the Huffington Post actually - get it right! Run For Your Wife was an unfunny comedy by Vicki Michelle - everyone got slated for it. If she was a very poor actress, or even a poor actress, she would not be a successful star in the West End - far from it! The fact that she has been a success for 20 years proves my point. I accept debate about the qualities about Kellie Bright and Denise van Outen - both of whom are great - but you're just ranting about your obsessive disdain for a very good actress. As for Some Girl I Used to Know: http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Some-Girl-I-Used-To-Know-tickets/artist/1951689?list_view=1

Huffington Post/ Daily Mail all were mentioned. To quote:
    Denise Van Outen has revealed she snubbed a part in EastEnders because she wanted to work with "credible" actors.

So she took another role instead where she thought they were credible actors. So she dissed EE.

BIB 'Run For Your Wife was an unfunny comedy by Vicki Michelle ????? LOL
    Run For your Wife was written by Ray Cooney! Bernard Cribbins took the lead role in the West End theatre debut of the play, on 12 December 1983 at the Criterion Theatre
    And whether or not it was or wasn't funny has no bearing on DVO's poor acting skills.

Ray Cooney wrote the play, then directed and produced the film. Vicki Michelle was an executive producer. That means she did nothing but finance it. She certainly wasn't responsible for DVO's awful acting. DVO was slated by many in her one woman show. To state that DVO is a 'consummate actress' and 'is accepted as a 'very good actress' is rubbish. Says who? Who accepts her as such? She hasn't been nominated for an acting role.

Where has she been successful for 20 years? The first success she got was The Big Breakfast. That's not 20 years ago. So she's been in successful WE shows. All were successfu, running and tried/tested before she joined. She can sing and dance well that probably carries her but her acting is weak.

As for your comment:
    You're just ranting about your obsessive disdain for a very good actress.

I was replying to another comment by a FM about DVO's awful acting same as you replied to mine and we have continued. So haven't you been ranting too?! :D It makes your comment quite laughable as well as immature.

DVO's said so many times she'd love to join EE. If she's such a good actress why haven't they signed her?

Feel free to rant some more but as you can see by reading the other comments here the consensus is that DVO is a crap actress.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope Denise never ends up in EE. I cannot stand her! :eek: