Options

Eastenders - Are Phil/Sharon/Shirley a love triangle?

HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think that theses 3 have been in a love triangle for years?

As in Sharon has always been a undercurrent in Phil and Shirley relationship even before she arrived back in the square.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it has been a love triangle for years but from December 2013 onwards, when Phil reunited with Sharon, that's when the love triangle started.

Phil has always been the one who loved Sharon the most but DTC has retconned Sharon and Phil's love. Sharon has never truly loved Phil though.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty obvious from when Sharon returned and Shirley snapped at Phil "Your ex?" that was what they were going for. But they ruined any dramatic potential with it because of poor writing. Maybe they will rescue it with the current story.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Sharon has never loved Phil.
    Phil loved the idea of Sharon but by the time she returned this time he had fallen in love with Shirley, Sharon was his second choice when he couldn't get Shirley back.
    Shirley has always loved Phil.

It's not a case of two women loving one man, Sharon had settled for security when she lost Jack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of Sharon treating Phil as a stop gap. It's karma for the way he treated Stella, Kath, Lisa, Shirley.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    wizardt wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it has been a love triangle for years but from December 2013 onwards, when Phil reunited with Sharon, that's when the love triangle started.

Phil has always been the one who loved Sharon the most but DTC has retconned Sharon and Phil's love. Sharon has never truly loved Phil though.

I don't think he's retconned anything. I think the relationships are now showing some circumstantial evolution
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    It is a triangle, Jamie B, Steve Mcf and Letitia have all said so in interviews. I also remember an insert from 'inside soap' which stated that if Ben had not killed Heather, then Phil would have married Shirley and Sharon wouldn't have got a look in.
    Phil and Sharon aren't the great love story outside of Sharongate and Sharon was actually Phil's second choice at Christmas when Shirley turned him down. Phil's original true love was Kathy and now his heart belongs to Shirley. Phil loves the idea of Sharon but I don't think he is 'in love' with her anymore.

Letitia also said in an interview that Sharon loves Phil so all this 'Sharon is just settling for Phil' lark is just speculation though evidently that love has been lost since the attack.

DTC has not retconned anything, I find some posters just use the term for story progressions that they don't like.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still love that christmas with the tape in the car and big reveal....off to youtube,
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,511
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I actually think Phil is more suited to Shirley now and that he does love her. He loves Sharon but is not 'in love' with her. It is a triangle, Jamie B, Steve Mcf and Letitia have all said so in interviews. I also remember an insert from 'inside soap' which stated that if Ben had not killed Heather, then Phil would have married Shirley and Sharon wouldn't have got a look in. Phil and Sharon aren't the great love story outside of Sharongate and Sharon was actually Phil's second choice at Christmas when Shirley turned him down. Phil's original true love was Kathy and now his heart belongs to Shirley. Letitia also said in an interview that Sharon loves Phil so all this 'Sharon is just settling for Phil' lark is just speculation. DTC has not retconned anything, I find some posters just use the term for story progressions that they don't like.

But Sharon doesn't love Phil anymore :confused:. Sharon hates him because of what he did to her. Phil does love Sharon but his heart does lie with Shirley. I don't think Sharon genuinely loves Phil because Dennis was her soulmate/true love. I think she was definitely settling for Phil before because she tried to rip him off with The Albert.

I know you're a Shirley and Phil fan and I'm happy that you got your wish true :) but Phil has always loved Sharon so they can't expect us to forget Phil and Sharon's history even though he prefers Shirley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Phil is more suited to Shirley now and that he does love her. He loves Sharon but is not 'in love' with Sharon. No matter how much hate I will get on here, given a choice, I will always prefer Shirley and Phil. It is a triangle, Jamie B, Steve Mcf and Letitia have all said so in interviews. I also remember an insert from 'inside soap' which stated that if Ben had not killed Heather, then Phil would have married Shirley and Sharon wouldn't have got a look in. Phil and Sharon aren't the great love story outside of Sharongate. Phil's original true love was Kathy and now his heart belongs to Shirley. Letitia also said in an interview that Sharon loves Phil so all this 'Sharon is just settling for Phil' lark is just speculation. DTC has not retconned anything, I find some posters just use the term for story progressions that they don't like.

I'm going to bow out before it becomes a 10 pager but I would say its all speculation which is part of the fun of it and Sharon chose Grant, Dennis and even Jack over Phil. Also there was a snatch of dialogue with David where she congratulated him on marrying the love of his life, something she was unable to do. So IMO it is and isn't a triangle if that makes sense!
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,511
    Forum Member

That is one of my all-time favourite scenes. The tension and fallout was immense! The acting from all involved was good. That slap from Kathy must have hurt!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    But Sharon doesn't love Phil anymore :confused:. Sharon hates him because of what he did to her. Phil does love Sharon but his heart does lie with Shirley. I don't think Sharon genuinely loves Phil because Dennis was her soulmate/true love. I think she was definitely settling for Phil before because she tried to rip him off with The Albert.

I know you're a Shirley and Phil fan and I'm happy that you got your wish true :) but Phil has always loved Sharon so they can't expect us to forget Phil and Sharon's history even though he prefers Shirley.

Oh no, Sharon doesn't love him anymore, I was referring to prior the attack. :) Dennis was her soulmate but you can love more than one person in life. :)

I'm more of a fan of Shirley, but I like Linda and Steve's chemistry. I don't think it is forgetting the history, the history is still there, it's just a different time now, we are no long dealing with 90s Sharon and Phil. They are both different people now.

PS. I was edited my above post before I realised anyone have replied. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    I'm going to bow out before it becomes a 10 pager but I would say its all speculation which is part of the fun of it and Sharon chose Grant, Dennis and even Jack over Phil. Also there was a snatch of dialogue with David where she congratulated him on marrying the love of his life, something she was unable to do. So IMO it is and isn't a triangle if that makes sense!

I was merely going by an interview with Letitia this year and what she said. :) I think she loves him to an extent but he is in no means her 'one true love' and vice versa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love it! And Carol Jackson is actually having a good time!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was merely going by an interview with Letitia this year and what she said. :) I think she loves him to an extent but he is in no means her 'one true love' and vice versa.

Yes I agree with that. It's a comfortable 20 year old love but if Dennis or Grant rocked up she'd be off like a shot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree with that. It's a comfortable 20 year old love but if Dennis or Grant rocked up she'd be off like a shot!

I agree 100%. I don't think there is a lot of love there. I think there is that familiar love but they both moved on and have now settled for one another, imo. The prospect of having Grant back would be awesome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree 100%. I don't think there is a lot of love there. I think there is that familiar love but they both moved on and have now settled for one another, imo. The prospect of having Grant back would be awesome.

I would love that! I do think they did all 3 characters a disservice in the last couple of years. They could have done an awesome triangle where Sharon and Phil shack up but Shirley destroys them for Ev by finding out about Dennis and telling Sharon. Then Phil ends up with neither of them. Much more satisfying and it makes the women look less clingy. Ah well.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Do you think that theses 3 have been in a love triangle for years?

As in Sharon has always been a undercurrent in Phil and Shirley relationship even before she arrived back in the square.

Thoughts?

Shirley is very insecure, so she may have been affected by Sharon, and worried about Phil's past loves, thinking she wasn't up to his usual standards. That isn't a love triangle though:p That's just her being insecure.

There is a love triangle now and has been for awhile. Just wish it would end, Shirley can have the angry tomato all to herself.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if Philth really loves Sharon he has a bloody funny way of showing it.

Treating her like a piece of meat in the Vic.

Getting two blokes to break into the Albert and shit beaten out of her in (whether he planned it that way or not). She could have been raped for all he knew.

F*****g Shirley.

Yeah the man is a true romantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would love that! I do think they did all 3 characters a disservice in the last couple of years. They could have done an awesome triangle where Sharon and Phil shack up but Shirley destroys them for Ev by finding out about Dennis and telling Sharon. Then Phil ends up with neither of them. Much more satisfying and it makes the women look less clingy. Ah well.

Speaking of Grant, do you remember Phil and Grant - Kung Fu Fighting. Too special.

That could have been epic, amazing idea! I do agree, all three of them have been subjected to some terrible writing in the past, hopefully things are changing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if Philth really loves Sharon he has a bloody funny way of showing it.

Treating her like a piece of meat in the Vic.

Getting two blokes to break into the Albert and shit beaten out of her in (whether he planned it that way or not). She could have been raped for all he knew.

F*****g Shirley.

Yeah the man is a true romantic.

:D This is where Tamwar and Deano are going wrong!
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Yeah, in the scenes before their non-wedding after she'd found out about Glenda Shirley made her insecurity re Sharon a woman she had never met very clear, in fact she was insecure of Phil's whole past really and I guess Sharon epitomised that.

Though how anyone can root for either of them being with Phil now is beyond me. I don't think he really loves either woman. I think it's a lot of guilt where both of them are concerned. And good, he should feel guilty. He has treated both appallingly.

Out of the two I'd rather Shirley 'won' to be honest as she deserves such a contemptible piece of crap like Phil as a partner more than Sharon who on the whole is a decent human being. Though surely there's a point where even Shirl needs to wise up and gain some self-respect? The affair is bad enough but if this doesn't end with Phil on his own then there really is no way back for common as muck Ms Carter in my book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Grant, do you remember Phil and Grant - Kung Fu Fighting. Too special.

That could have been epic, amazing idea! I do agree, all three of them have been subjected to some terrible writing in the past, hopefully things are changing.

Haha yes, when Peggy comes down and sees her sons starkers! :D

With a bit more thought Sharon's return could have been spectacular, Shirley wouldn't have spent 2013 drifting like a spare part and we wouldn't have had that bollocks with Lola and Lexi.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil and Grant loved Sharon more than any other woman. It was a continuing part of the show's narrative the whole time Grant was in EastEnders and even right up until Sharon got with Dennis and Phil married that copper. A lot of factors got in the way of it being as prominent as it used to be (Steve McFadden's 2 year break, Shannis, Letitia Dean being gone for 6 years, Grant not being in the show anymore and so on). The show moved on from Sharon and Grant but Phil was still around and so the writers had to put him with someone. First it was Mad Stella and after a fashion he ended up with Shirley but treated her like absolute shit. Shirley mentioned Sharon's name several times as she knew she was still out there and could return at any time unlike Kathy.

Sadly Phil isn't the layered character he once was when Sharon and Grant were in the show. He's now a controlling bully who has little depth. He did love Sharon once but I don't think he loves anyone but himself anymore. Shirley loves the power and entitlement that comes with being Phil's woman and is essentially a doormat so I can see why he's more interested in that sort of woman these days. Sharon has tried on 4 separate occasions to make a go of it with Phil and failed every time. Even though she may have convinced herself she loves him I truly don't think she ever did. He's always been there to rescue her but more often than not he ends up leaving her in a worse state. He threw her under the bus when their affair was revealed, he lied to her about Dennis's death, he gave her the elbow over the pills (her own fault admittedly), he was responsible for her almost dying and now he's going to have an affair with the doormat. I'm glad she's finally seen him for what he is.

Phil doesn't love Shirley. Sharon doesn't love Phil. Shirley is obsessed with Phil. A love triangle with no love involved lol.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D This is where Tamwar and Deano are going wrong!

Yes treat women like the shit on your shoe and they all come running - at least they do to the Philth. :D

TPTB are pathetic.