Trivial things about movies that annoy you

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    When a character in a war movie starts talking about what they are going to do when the war's over... you just know they won't make it to the end credits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    When a character falls/jumps through glass and doesn't get cut it shreds.
    They also stand up after the fall with no major cut to knees and hands
    Forum Member
    Computers that seem to have an operating system that only exists in Hollywood and beep on every keystroke.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IP addresses outside of the valid range!
  • Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Multi Story Carparks are more dangerous than a Cruise up the coast of East Africa.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Computers that seem to have an operating system that only exists in Hollywood and beep on every keystroke.
    bob187 wrote: »

Add to that; computer hackers who seem to be playing a 3D FPS in order to bypass a firewall.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars that seem to need constant input from the steering wheel to keep them going in a straight line.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of things for me.

1) Telephone calls. If a character makes a call and the other person doesn't answer within 3 rings then they are declared out, dead or whatever. If by some miracle the other person does pick up and we cannot hear the conversation, then that conversation is very one sided with the other person clearly having no time to reply. Also once the conversation is over the main character just hangs up without saying goodbye or acknowledging the end of the conversation in any way.

2) Similar theme but this time doors, and specifically characters knocking on doors and only waiting like 5 seconds or less for somebody to open the door before once again declaring them out, dead or whatever.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to Mythbusters showing what nonsense it is, any scene where a bullet sends a person flying backwards through the air.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women who go to the toilet to throw up (either due to morning sickness or upset tummy) and holding onto the toilet bowl as if it is a baby.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In rom-coms, when the girl strolls around her lover's home the morning after, inspecting the shelves while wearing his buttoned shirt (T-shirts are a rarity). The most trivial aspect that annoys me is the fact that she presumably arrived at the home in her own set of clothes, so what's preventing her from putting them back on?. It wouldn't be cute and/or sexy if the man made his way into the kitchen wearing her thong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    bob187 wrote: »

I think that's to avoid accidentally causing problems for someone else, the same reason why films avoid using realistic phone numbers (and in the US 151 numbers are set aside for this use)...
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Lojen wrote: »
    Couple of things for me.

1) Telephone calls. If a character makes a call and the other person doesn't answer within 3 rings then they are declared out, dead or whatever. If by some miracle the other person does pick up and we cannot hear the conversation, then that conversation is very one sided with the other person clearly having no time to reply. Also once the conversation is over the main character just hangs up without saying goodbye or acknowledging the end of the conversation in any way.

2) Similar theme but this time doors, and specifically characters knocking on doors and only waiting like 5 seconds or less for somebody to open the door before once again declaring them out, dead or whatever.

The corollary to that is someone rings a number or knocks on a door and it's answered almost immediately.

Also - scenes where it's raining and it's blatantly obvious it's coming from a hose off-screen.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Thanks to Mythbusters showing what nonsense it is, any scene where a bullet sends a person flying backwards through the air.

Related to that, people who are shot when standing on balconies/high buildings/stairs, and the force of a bullet, rather than propelling them in the opposite direction, seems to cause them to fall forward and somersault down.
    Forum Member
    When someone gets shot with a machine gun you see puffs of smoke and dust as the bullets hit the ground by their feet. Then the victim clutches their chest and falls over. Surely if the shots are that low they should be grabbing their feet.
    Forum Member
    Another gun one: guns with silencers that make a quiet "phuuut" when they are fired. I think this was another one busted by Mythbusters. Silencers really don't make much of a difference.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lojen wrote: »
    Also once the conversation is over the main character just hangs up without saying goodbye or acknowledging the end of the conversation in any way.

That seems to happen often in US films and TV series. Always gives me the impression that people in the US have no phone manners.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Bad guys can't shoot".
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Another gun one: guns with silencers that make a quiet "phuuut" when they are fired. I think this was another one busted by Mythbusters. Silencers really don't make much of a difference.

They certainly do make a difference. Movie and TVs drastically attenuate the sound of real gunfire down to levels where suppressors don't appear to make much of a difference. But if you're standing next to a gun being fired without ear protection, believe me, suppressors make a big difference. But it's true they don't silence down to a mild phut. What's more of a sin is seeing them used on revolvers (I'm looking at you Magnum Force) where they make virtually no difference at all.

And as for the folks pitching forward off a balcony that's also concievable as a nerve spasm can make a body do all sorts of unusual manouvers when shot, from the front or otherwise. However it's perfectly true that a bullet will not knock someone back due to impact pressure though.

Regards

Mark
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When somebody is left for dead & they know who attacked them or who is responsible for the attack.When they are found dying & asked who did this to them they will usually point to something or mumble some cryptic message.They never just give the persons name.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    At the end of the film Unthinkable the bomb diffusion software is a spreadsheet :D
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    People who continue to accelerate when they are in car-based danger. Just put your foot on the break and stop!

Characters who whisper as so to sound intense/substitute for actual acting. This is more of a criticism of Jack Baeur in 24, but it happens in movies too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad guys who have a greatly heightened tolerance of pain and injury. They can get beaten half to death, thrown from moving cars, slammed into concrete walls and still continue fighting the good guy.)

This is my biggest annoyance, along with the good guy failing to kill the bad guy when they have the chance.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Car crashes and explosions.

If it's the good guy the car will just crash and the good guy will crawl out of the wreakage.

If it's a bad guy the car will blow up instantly even if it's driven off a cliff and not hit the ground yet.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always enjoyed horror films but...

Why is that the car never starts the first time and mobiles never seem to be able to get a signal!