Adverts On Virgin On Demand

2»

Comments

• HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartJ wrote: »
    Seems a pointless excerise putting on ads which people will then fast forward through, the advertiser gets nothing and VM annoys its customers.

I am waiting a replay to my complaints on this matter will see what excuse they come up with now. Also waiting a response from the BBC on adverts on its iPlayer programs via VOD, although not on Red Button....yet

Are you sure it is on iPlayer programmes and not the stuff that is on TV Choice, which are older and have full series up. The things on TV Choice will be provided by the commercial arm of the BBC (BBC Worldwide) and will therefore be allowed to have adverts. Just like Dave, Gold, Watch etc all show BBC shows with adverts.
  • mhoobag1mhoobag1 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    The adverts seemed to have been taken off the music vids at the beginning now.. (wonder why? maybe all the complaints?)

Edit:
    The BBC red button iplayer is no longer showing adverts at the beginning of programs either.
  • seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    well i have just checked, on demand and advert's before royal family have gone on bbc choice, and advert's have also gone on before tom and jerry.

it doe's look like viewer complaint's may well have done somthing in the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Neil Berkett got a inbox full of complaints on a Saturday, probably on his Blackberry too, image the beeps he would be getting as each mail entered his inbox!!!! :D
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a pointless excerise putting on ads which people will then fast forward through, the advertiser gets nothing and VM annoys its customers.

I am waiting a replay to my complaints on this matter will see what excuse they come up with now. Also waiting a response from the BBC on adverts on its iPlayer programs via VOD, although not on Red Button....yet

That was my point too. Why put them on there? Who the hell is going to sit and watch them!
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant understand why you people are moaning, i want the adverts to stay cause they are being paid for it, there are youtube and other service you can use with no adverts
  • ianmac40ianmac40 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    mhoobag1 wrote: »

My complaint has been put in !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My complaint has also been put in.
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Glad to see the adverts appear to have gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    If its a channel that carries ad's then surely there isn't a real problem with the on-demand service also carrying ad's. FYI when I watched "The Force" on ITV4 catch up yesterday I could FF through the couple of ad's at the beginning anyway.

What they've not figured out (yet) is how to insert ad's in the middle of on-demand programmes. For example where the normal ad breaks would be - again if they ever did that, what the problem with FF'ing through them as you would if it was recorded on V+ anyway?

I would however complain bitterly if they ever stopped the ability to FF through them!

Regards,

Ashley
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a channel that carries ad's then surely there isn't a real problem with the on-demand service also carrying ad's. FYI when I watched "The Force" on ITV4 catch up yesterday I could FF through the couple of ad's at the beginning anyway.

What they've not figured out (yet) is how to insert ad's in the middle of on-demand programmes. For example where the normal ad breaks would be - again if they ever did that, what the problem with FF'ing through them as you would if it was recorded on V+ anyway?

I would however complain bitterly if they ever stopped the ability to FF through them!

Regards,

Ashley

I agree with your post Ashley. I said a long time ago that I would like to see more adverts on on-demand as a way of financing more content. I don't want them to be so obtrusive that they ruin the service though. Unfortunately I doubt they would make all that much money out of them if everyone has the ability to fast forward. With linear channels the advertisers know quite a lot of people are watching the content live and therefore unable to ff.
    Forum Member
    ek-uk wrote: »
    I agree with your post Ashley. I said a long time ago that I would like to see more adverts on on-demand as a way of financing more content. I don't want them to be so obtrusive that they ruin the service though. Unfortunately I doubt they would make all that much money out of them if everyone has the ability to fast forward. With linear channels the advertisers know quite a lot of people are watching the content live and therefore unable to ff.

No we can't fast forward them, but can make a cup of tea, get a beer from fridge, see whats on other channels, whilst they are on, or record on V+ box and fast forward past them.

The amount of adverts we have is enough without adding them to short 3 min videos or to BBC iPlayer content from main BBC Channels (BBC1, BBC2 etc)
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we can't fast forward them, but can make a cup of tea, get a beer from fridge, see whats on other channels, whilst they are on, or record on V+ box and fast forward past them.

The amount of adverts we have is enough without adding them to short 3 min videos or to BBC iPlayer content from main BBC Channels (BBC1, BBC2 etc)

Yes but everybody doesn't do that during every advert break. I bet most people usually know straight away what the advert is going to be plugging because they have seen it over and over. If you could fast forward live tv that wouldn't be the case.
    I agree with your point about an advert for every three minute video but I did say in my post the adverts should not be obtrusive.
  • ianmac40ianmac40 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Got a reply from the Twitter team, it was an error. It was only supposed to be on TV Choice on demand. The fault should now be rectified.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Not happening for me in the Mansfield area.
    Forum Member
    Response I have had back from Complaints Team this morning

Thank you for your complaint regarding the adverts which appear when you book one of our music videos.

Firstly I?m really sorry that you?ve had to contact us and you?ve not been happy with the adverts on our services.

On Friday evening and Saturday morning (3rd and 4th September) we had a small glitch in our system which meant that when you booked a video on demand, there was an advert before the video came on which lasted for about a minute.

We have been running advertisements through our TV on demand service for selected content in our TV Choice section. Unfortunately due to a technical issue, some advertisements started appearing alongside shows
    in other sections for a brief period on Friday evening and Saturday morning. We've now rectified the problem and have taken steps to prevent its reoccurrence

Too right I wasn't happy with the adverts appearing in MOD and VOD, thats why I complained. :mad:

As for TV Choice On demand not seen any there, then perhaps thats because I have only watched the BBC programmes and thay of course should be ad free in UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Glad they have sorted it though... I was showing someone how cool the music was and was horrified that there was a minute of adverts before a 3 minute song!!!
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to dreg this back up, but we have numerous ads before each music on demand video now. Has it gone from being a test to permanent, because it's really put me off using the service.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I too noticed the return of the ads last night (13th) when I was watching music on demand. Indeed, I even made a thread about it in the main cable forum (Ads on Music on Demand... Again). Seemed that vast majority of music tracks (9/10) did have ads on them, at the beginning before the video started. There were two different ads, both for films on Filmflex, don't remember what they were for as I made a point of fast forwarding them each time as I refuse to watch commercials in my on demand content.

I think the fact they are pushing Filmflex makes it worse, as paying customers do we not spend enough on their services, now they want us to buying their overpriced PPV films.

I intend to complain and advise everyone else to as well, if we make it clear enough it isn't acceptable then I'm sure they will get shot of them again. Complaints form accessible here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Yeah, I too noticed the return of the ads last night (13th) when I was watching music on demand. Indeed, I even made a thread about it in the main cable forum (Ads on Music on Demand... Again). Seemed that vast majority of music tracks (9/10) did have ads on them, at the beginning before the video started. There were two different ads, both for films on Filmflex, don't remember what they were for as I made a point of fast forwarding them each time as I refuse to watch commercials in my on demand content.

I think the fact they are pushing Filmflex makes it worse, as paying customers do we not spend enough on their services, now they want us to buying their overpriced PPV films.

I intend to complain and advise everyone else to as well, if we make it clear enough it isn't acceptable then I'm sure they will get shot of them again. Complaints form accessible here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST

Might just do that. Three minutes of song and (last night) four ads, two of which are for feminine hygiene products:confused::rolleyes:

It gets tedious. There's only so much Cat Deely a person can stomach.
  • seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    hi there guy's i was thinking that this had all stoped it appear's not. this no longer affect's me as i now have gone back to sky but if you are still upset contact neil berkett,or cindy rose that is what i did and it did the trick best of luck.
    i left virgin after they put my bill up 6 month's into a contract.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    just been added to my on demand music too - as a service I use frequently I'm very unhappy about this change indeed. Free services - adverts are fine - but for services we pay for - completely unacceptable. I've just posted the following complaint.

"Just noticed that you have added adverts to the start of on demand Music tracks - since I consider on demand as something I pay for as part of my Virginmedia services (and not something I get for free) - I do not expect to have to endure adverts (several minutes long) in front of a music track that is only several minutes long - completely unacceptable. "