Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Looks like I cancelled my sub at the wrong time lol

Plymouth, have you heard the rumour about EE adding EU roaming data (as well as calls/texts) to their phone plans soon?
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Just you wait until they launch "Evolved EDGE"

Yeah, EE were going to until they realised that at the top of all phones it would say "EE EE" Hahahahaha
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you mean hEEhEE?
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Wait, Edge? On O2? Ha!
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Looks like I cancelled my sub at the wrong time lol

Even fairly village-y / rural areas are seeing interesting speeds..

http://i.imgur.com/NxbVpFx.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yeah, EE were going to until they realised that at the top of all phones it would say "EE EE" Hahahahaha

How's the 4G down there with you? Are you covered??
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some of us on the other side of the Tamar are still waiting for some 4G from EE or 3.

It seems odd that up north, in Wales or in Scotland EE seems to be covering tiny little places now, but yet larger places in Cornwall are still 3G only. (and 3's coverage is the same). 3 claim that they're going to be up and running in a few towns by the end of the year but the clock is ticking.

Is there some sort of structural issue with MBNL in Cornwall that is preventing either of them from doing anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Some of us on the other side of the Tamar are still waiting for some 4G from EE or 3.

It seems odd that up north, in Wales or in Scotland EE seems to be covering tiny little places now, but yet larger places in Cornwall are still 3G only. (and 3's coverage is the same). 3 claim that they're going to be up and running in a few towns by the end of the year but the clock is ticking.

Is there some sort of structural issue with MBNL in Cornwall that is preventing either of them from doing anything?

The Route in Scotland from Central to North East is literally following the fibre and it's connection points....

I'm sure they will largely, if not fully make that target..
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Plymouth, have you heard the rumour about EE adding EU roaming data (as well as calls/texts) to their phone plans soon?

*whistles nonchalantly*
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *whistles nonchalantly*

That really would change things significantly.
  • Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4g launched in grantham this weekend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    That really would change things significantly.
    Most likely 100mb or 250mb a month or something.
  • Options
    exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Even fairly village-y / rural areas are seeing interesting speeds..

http://i.imgur.com/NxbVpFx.png

Cupar isn't even showing as having 4G on EE's coverage map. How out of date is the coverage map?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Route in Scotland from Central to North East is literally following the fibre and it's connection points....

I'm sure they will largely, if not fully make that target..

Looks like I was slightly wrong, EE now claim they have actual coverage in Saltash now, presumably by a cell site in Cornwall rather than relying on Plymouth overspill. http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2014/07/31/4g-from-ee-switched-on-in-cornwall-saltash-is-the-250th-town-covered-by-superfast-mobile-network

Overall it's still a bit crap though. Hopefully they've got a few sites ready to go and just need to be turned on..
  • Options
    me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the max speed out of a nexus 5, it doesn't do dual speed does it (LTE advanced)? Or have I got that wrong?
  • Options
    me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading its a Category 4 phone so that should do for the next few years. Not LTE-A as far as I can tell but fast enough with 150 down and 50 up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    exterra wrote: »
    Cupar isn't even showing as having 4G on EE's coverage map. How out of date is the coverage map?

Cupar area literally just switched on this weekend.. As with a few other places.. Most weekends will be like this until Christmas.
  • Options
    randolf105randolf105 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Cupar area literally just switched on this weekend.. As with a few other places.. Most weekends will be like this until Christmas.

Do you know if Perth will be switched on soon? Lots of areas around it seem to be getting covered
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well it's getting here but they still haven't turned my mast on.
    Big bugger it is too! : )
    It's still showing as "None" on the checker but I don't think EE are even updating this info anymore anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Well it's getting here but they still haven't turned my mast on.
    Big bugger it is too! : )
    It's still showing as "None" on the checker but I don't think EE are even updating this info anymore anyway.

They should employ Sonic the Hedgehog to install masts for EE.

EE and Huawei confirmed there would be 18,000 masts upgraded by end of 2015. Hurry up EE!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are nearly there.. Doesn't mean they all have 4G cards in them!

Going by the poor 3G North of Glasgow/Edinburgh with O2/Voda I'd safely say EE are far ahead in that too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    randolf105 wrote: »
    Do you know if Perth will be switched on soon? Lots of areas around it seem to be getting covered

Before the end of the year.
  • Options
    japittsjapitts Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope that there is outstanding work or a fault at Green Park, Reading. I'm now getting quite frequent dropped calls if I walk out of the office there, all the symptoms of a handover problem.

I might call CS if I can muster the patience sometime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All the masts down here have come on on a Friday night (as Lucan has been telling up for decades : )
    Today, just when I needed my EE mobile broadband to do a business PC update, the mast was off. Completely. No 2G, No 3G. I went outside and waved the phone around (off -on etc)... nothing.
    Then 20 minutes later it was back on again.
    Does this possibly mean it might be 4G tomorrow night???
    Here's hoping!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coverage map updated.

Devon you are paranoid.. :)
This discussion has been closed.