Options

Tonights Eastenders was really weird

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone else think it had a "weird" and had sort of surreal vibe? I don't know if that was the intention, but it didn't really seem to be about anything and some of the camera angles were odd. What was that scene with Cora watching the people outside the club all about?:confused: And the rambling about In the Night Garden?

This is not an Eastenders slagging thread at all by the way.

Comments

• Options
    cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The outside scene with Cora looked like a random selection of shop fronts had been stuck together quickly with superglue. It didn't look real at all. Very odd. Has something happened where they have to add filler scenes - cos that is what it looked like.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was odd tonight... :confused:

I don't think it helps that many scenes in EE at the moment don't last any longer than 10-20 seconds, I find it quite frustrating to watch..
  • Options
    GameChangerGameChanger Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Didn't see what was odd about it at all. Nothing wrong with a bit of experimenting now and then.
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing for me, was that it felt like a Friday episode... I don't know why...
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it. I was a bit bored with the Ben/Shirley stuff but the rest was interesting
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzbar wrote: »
    The outside scene with Cora looked like a random selection of shop fronts had been stuck together quickly with superglue. It didn't look real at all. Very odd. Has something happened where they have to add filler scenes - cos that is what it looked like.

It wasn't so much the shop fronts it was that whole scene was just random and pointless, and what was with the old woman trying to push through the crowd?:confused:
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird by any standards........clearly a clumsy attempt at trying to set up some kind of storyline involving Cora but definitely weird looking with the fall-back poker game thrown in to kill time........and of course the irrelevant baiting of Shirley by the police.......it is really becoming a curiosity rather than a continuous drama now..........like some kind of school project rather than a flagship TV programme.

Of course the diehards will insist that it is still 'brilliant' or whatever thereby giving viewers of 'soaps' a bad name as morons who watch soaps without the ability to know whether it is good bad or otherwise.
  • Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,489
    Forum Member
    I found the card game at the Vic a bit random and out of the blue:confused:? Still, maybe it was just another excuse to have new scenes to have Derek involved in?!
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird by any standards........clearly a clumsy attempt at trying to set up some kind of storyline involving Cora but definitely weird looking with the fall-back poker game thrown in to kill time........and of course the irrelevant baiting of Shirley by the police.......it is really becoming a curiosity rather than a continuous drama now..........like some kind of school project rather than a flagship TV programme.

I would agree with this. Suddenly EastEnders feels like its very inexperienced and rather lacking in any substance. Pacing is just not happening and continuity doesn't exist anymore while certain characters are being completely neglected at the expense of others. Its like a load of Uni students have been let lose on it. What ever changes have been made to the writing/production set up they need to be changed back to the previous way as soon as possible. I know they were making cuts behind the scenes to save money but surely they haven't overhauled the production team at risk of wrecking the show? Something about EastEnders has been very different these past couple of months and the soap is suffering greatly because of it. I don't know how anyone can deny the show doesn't have problems now as its blatent something is going very wrong. Many of the scenes feel like cut and shut jobs.

I just want EastEnders to be unmissable again with decent writing and good storylines you just feel that you cannot miss. I don't feel this anymore. The sad thing is they have such an epic cast. They just aren't being used to full potential.
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i felt like i had missed a week of EE.
  • Options
    ILoveStarburstILoveStarburst Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it did feel a bit odd tonight. Noticed all the different camera angles.. and then there was Alfie's narration at the beginning. Unusual!
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Alfie Moon voice-over reminded me of an attempts at being Hollyoaks. It really didn't work and the storyline didn't even follow through with the "intro". Some of the camera work was pretty distracting, I'm usually all for experiments. It made the program seem distant and disconnected and very unreal, which is ok for Hollyoaks but not EE, it breaks the 4rth wall.
    I hope they don't go in this direction again with voice-overs, they are bad in films too unless you can sack Alfie and hire Morgan Freeman.
  • Options
    SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Povey wrote tonights episode. Not sure if he's done something like this before?
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I think it was because of Alfie's narrating at the beginning made it seem different or something.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE was back on track tonight, a strong episode...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found it very hard to follow:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Alfie bit at beginining, the Cora scenes and the RnR scenes were a bit random, camera angles strange, but I liked the episode overall.
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the beginning was very hollyoaks-e as was that lauren and lucy into the club scene. Someone please remind BK this is gritty eastenders with 8m+ views not bloody hollyoaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still got the Tedious Turd in just about every scene, so it's pretty much business as usual... :mad:
  • Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,489
    Forum Member
    the beginning was very hollyoaks-e as was that lauren and lucy into the club scene. Someone please remind BK this is gritty eastenders with 8m+ views not bloody hollyoaks.

Lol, i thought that about the club scene aswell, maybe BK forgot he's not at Hollyoaks anymore!!

Although to be fair, it didn't feel too much like HO because there were quite a few characters in it who were actually over the age of 18!!!!:eek:
  • Options
    BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOAPYFAN wrote: »
    Jeff Povey wrote tonights episode. Not sure if he's done something like this before?

I bet he wrote the episode where Christian & Syed were babysitting Amy and the camera went behind the TV for half an hour*

*slight exaggeration :sleep:
  • Options
    SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like experimental scenes. They don't happen all the time and it was quite nice.

I remember when 1 episode ended, It looked like Window's Movie Maker with all the transitions, Not sure what episode it was. I know Shirley featured in the montage though.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must of missed a bit. Why were they sneaking into the club? Lucy's eighteen right?
  • Options
    Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was an unusual episode, and I didn't like it all all. Didn't feel like 'Enders to me.
  • Options
    BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 'Cora and the random old bird stuck amongst the hoodlums' scene was to demonstrate to the viewer that the residents of the square had noticed it going downhill after the recent introduction of cheap booze nights at the R&R :rolleyes: