Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to you both :) I will certainly make more of an effort to come on in the run up to S6 and may even dabble in some fan fic again!

Hello, brendan's girl. It's wonderful to see you back. As someone else mentioned, I think most of us went back and read the old posts. There are so many people who have vanished, or they're lurking. I'm so happy to "meet" the creator of this forum. I hope you'll spend some time with us. We're having fun speculating about S6.

What are your thoughts on S5?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is MC still in London? The DM filming schedule for PI shows nothing for today. I saw this at twitter: (15 hours ago) "Seeing Martin Clunes in a onesie on Yates's dancefloor has made tonight worthwhile."

I know what a onesie for a baby is, but apparently this is a somewhat odd (to me) fashion trend for adults too, IF it's this kind of thing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2275285/Onesie-The-fashion-phenomenon.html

:eek:
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Brendan's Girl Good to see you back. This forum and fan fic have been taken over by the Americans and it is good to have a British perspective on an English show. Please write some more FF
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Ouch! I'm here to read and discuss DM. Finding that many of the members of this forum are from UK was like the frosting on the cake. I love the UK and their TV shows.

I don't think any one of us from the US even believes we've taken over and I apologize if anyone feels that way.

I regret that I have to say that I agree with DMfan about this. It's not about blaming anyone, but it is a fact that most of the British members have dropped out of the group as the number of Americans has increased.

It's too bad they have left. They are the long suffering fans who stuck with the show since series 2 and especially after series 3. Many of us discovered the show after series 1-4 had been made. There is a different perspective from a fan who watched all those years than those of us who were able to blast through series 1-4 in a couple of weeks. I miss their perspective on the show and their insights into British society.

Americans confident and assertive people for the most part, but sometimes we can be a bit of a bull in a china shop.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Is MC still in London? The DM filming schedule for PI shows nothing for today. I saw this at twitter: (15 hours ago) "Seeing Martin Clunes in a onesie on Yates's dancefloor has made tonight worthwhile."

I know what a onesie for a baby is, but apparently this is a somewhat odd (to me) fashion trend for adults too, IF it's this kind of thing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2275285/Onesie-The-fashion-phenomenon.html

I think today is a Bank Holiday in England, so perhaps there's no filming?

I must google "onesie" for adults.

Um, they appear to be footed one-piece pjs for adults. Hard to imagine anything more different to the prissy blue ones of S5. For example: http://www.squidoo.com/funny-onesies-for-adults

Please, British friends, enlighten us. The mind boggles at the thought of MC on a dance floor in one of these outfits!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I regret that I have to say that I agree with DMfan about this. It's not about blaming anyone, but it is a fact that most of the British members have dropped out of the group as the number of Americans has increased.

It's too bad they have left. They are the long suffering fans who stuck with the show since series 2 and especially after series 3. Many of us discovered the show after series 1-4 had been made. There is a different perspective from a fan who watched all those years than those of us who were able to blast through series 1-4 in a couple of weeks. I miss their perspective on the show and their insights into British society.

Americans confident and assertive people for the most part, but sometimes we can be a bit of a bull in a china shop.

On the other hand, British people that I know have never lacked for the ability to put in their place those who seem a bit too, well, forward. Maybe it's just too much to deal with in large numbers.

My own view is that the drop-off is less due to American brashness, but to the increase in lengthy analytic posts, going deeply into motivations, underlying meanings etc. I say this as one who has been most guilty of same. Some of us are quite earnest about all this, and I expect that is off-putting to some (but not all) of our British members. That's just my view. Maybe I just have a guilty conscience.

But maybe this is a discussion best continued via PM? Happy to respond to any and all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    What a lovely welcome back, thank you! :)

I'm thrilled to see the show still discussed so widely and that there is still such a dedicated following. For me, my reasons for not speculating and spending time on here as I used to is purely linked to the fact that I have so little spare time. Back in the dizzy heights of S3, this forum did indeed help me through a difficult time and Doc Martinitus was something I could lose myself in. I am delighted that so many are still sufferers of this! I also have this forum to thank for many amusing discussions relating to a 'secret' crush on Mr MC himself! It is not completely cured and will no doubt rear its head again come series 6!

I think another reason for the absence of many S3 followers was the way in which it ended with Martin and Louisa not getting married. Over the course of the year building up to the series, a number of us had invested so much into their relationship and trying to predict every possible outcome other than the one we were left with, that I know I certainly 'gave up' on the show. I didn't enjoy series 4 or 5 at all on first viewing and the DM obsession was very much over. It has been good to watch it and see how their relationship changed as a result of the baby but, as I was in S3, I'm still not convinced by the changes in the Doc's character. He appears to have had somewhat of a personality transplant over the years!

One of my personal favourite memories of this thread was when it was discussed in an interview with MC - we may even have had a virtual party with virtual Doc Martin themed cocktails to celebrate!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I love your thoughts. As much as I would love to be in PI again, and think I would love to see some of the filming, I've decided not to go. The village is so lovely on its own and I had all the time in the world to gaze in wonder at everything around me there in its normal incarnation, and yet also to remember and re-imagine the DM scenes as I went about. I often thought I might hear Doc behind saying "Move it!" And I felt as friendly as Louisa with the locals while there with everyone going about their day.

I also must admit that having lived in SoCal and several times running into actors, I have never been able to push myself forward onto them. Even when I could have held a piece of pie in ransom for an autograph in one instance! I can't explain my feeling exactly, just maybe that I thought they deserved some privacy, or that they were doing their job, and I wasn't willing to intrude upon them in any way. But now as to MC, well, I'd probably just fall over in a dead faint if he even looked at me, so no point in that either!!

I was in Port Isaac a year ago in May, and even "on its own" it is still pretty crowded with sightseers. Obviously not like it is this May, but there was a continuous stream of people walking up to the surgery and taking pictures (including me, of course). It is a lovely village though and I even dared driving down to the harbor (with my wife cringing at the narrow passageways and delivery trucks coming at us). I didn't even try to go up the "road" in front of the surgery. (I had earlier considered booking the B&B up the hill from the surgery and I was glad that I hadn't because it would have been difficult to leave during the day to see other sights in N. Cornwall.)

But there was no place to park so we retreated to the public parking lot above the village and ventured back on foot. (We were also advised not to try the very narrow road which leads directly to Roscarrock Farm, but to use the slightly less narrow road which comes into the village from the east-uphill from the School House Hotel.)

On another topic, as to the lease of the barn at Roscarrick Farm, while the rumour may or not be accurate, I find it hard to believe that the rent would be increased astronomically--a barn in rural Cornwall can hardly have any other valuable uses. Of course, even a modest rent may add up over a while and BP may be able to do the interior filming in a studio near London more economically. (I recently read a book about the filming of the Tenko series--which made Stephanie Cole a star--and the outdoor scenes were in Dorset and the interior ones in London. Tenko is a gripping series, incidentally, although I think it is available only as a region two DVD.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

Didn't even know of this phenomena! Yikes:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »

Well said. I am a newcomer to DM having found it on Netflix less than a year ago and immersed in it since then. I love hearing their take on each and every take. For those of you lovely British folk thanks for staying and bring a friend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I wonder who's living on the farm? We've had no reports of filming out there yet, have we? So it isn't Louisa and Martin, although I still contend that they will get there eventually.... Maybe AR gets to live in Louisa's cottage?
    Actually, I don't think so or maybe I just don't want it to be that way.
    1. Martin won't like living on a farm.
    2. No emergencies and nosy patients interrupting - I would miss somethig.
    3. Louisa will have to go a long way to work.
    Forum Member
    **Greta** wrote: »
    can we assume the movie length episode, will tie up any storylines and be a last hurrah for DM??

No! Please not!
    Forum Member
    It may have been another show being filmed (there was a German one underway at the same time because I overheard one of the members of that crew paying a visit to some of the members of this one) but I saw those pointy fluorescent "unit" signs as far away as Truro.

I bet they were doing TV productions of Rosamunde Pilcher novels. Pure kitsch!
    Forum Member
    dmptrader wrote: »
    W:eek:W too thin?

Agreed. Especpecially if you click on the photos of the TV awards just next to them. I like him better that way. Looks less sick.
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Yes, too thin. Look at his cheeks are getting sunk in. Wow, I like lean men but that may be too much for MC.

I never thought you'd ever say that!:eek:
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not to sound too stalker-ish :eek:, but I was looking at those twitter feeds this morning and did a little digging. The guy who said he saw MC in Yates apparently was in Worksop (way up north near Manchester). I checked the Yates website and they have a location in Worksop. The woman who tweeted that she saw him on the train tweeted this on Friday morning (or would it have been afternoon their time - it shows at 9:15 AM but I don't know what time zone that would be). Anyway, she was on her way home from London - she is apparently a huge superfan of Benedict Cumberbatch and had gone to the red carpet for Star Treck and had also attended Graham Norton's show where he appeared. Anyway, she was on her way home but I couldn't get any clue where she actually lives.

So, maybe he took the train up north for some reason for the Bank Holiday weekend?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    My own view is that the drop-off is less due to American brashness, but to the increase in lengthy analytic posts, going deeply into motivations, underlying meanings etc. I say this as one who has been most guilty of same. Some of us are quite earnest about all this, and I expect that is off-putting to some (but not all) of our British members. That's just my view. Maybe I just have a guilty conscience.

But maybe this is a discussion best continued via PM? Happy to respond to any and all.

This was definitely the case with a few UK people who commented at the time then left when the majority said they liked the in depth posts and discussions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Actually, I don't think so or maybe I just don't want it to be that way.
    1. Martin won't like living on a farm.
    2. No emergencies and nosy patients interrupting - I would miss somethig.
    3. Louisa will have to go a long way to work.

I don't think it's spoiling anything to say that this is about whether or not DM and Louisa will eventually wind up on the farm (assuming they stay together).

Sooner or later, DM is going to inherit the farm, almost certainly.

My thinking on this is spurred by the fanfic Resolutions which has just posted a couple of new chapters in which the author poses what she thinks will be a gut-wrenching choice for either DM or LG. That is, Louisa will be miserable away from PortWenn and DM will be very unhappy away from the career that he loves. In that author's view, so far, compromise is just not possible -- it's too basic and fundamental to each of them That's a fairly disturbing situation to paint them into.

So, my mind has played with the idea of them keeping the farm and using it for a second home -- a bit farther from London than most such homes probably, but they could get to it for half-terms (of which the English school system has plenty) and summer vacations for Louisa and JH, and holidays, long weekends etc. I want them to be able to compromise somehow, and I think the farm could be a part of that.

But otherwise somehow has suggested "Applegarth" - the major's home on the outskirts of Porwenn. THat looks lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely welcome back, thank you! :)

I think another reason for the absence of many S3 followers was the way in which it ended with Martin and Louisa not getting married. Over the course of the year building up to the series, a number of us had invested so much into their relationship and trying to predict every possible outcome other than the one we were left with, that I know I certainly 'gave up' on the show. I didn't enjoy series 4 or 5 at all on first viewing and the DM obsession was very much over. It has been good to watch it and see how their relationship changed as a result of the baby but, as I was in S3, I'm still not convinced by the changes in the Doc's character. He appears to have had somewhat of a personality transplant over the years!

One of my personal favourite memories of this thread was when it was discussed in an interview with MC - we may even have had a virtual party with virtual Doc Martin themed cocktails to celebrate!

You know this is exactly how just about everyone I know in Australia who used to watch DM feels. Not so much the wedding that wasn't but the dramatic and unnecessarily harsh change in DMs personality. The persevered through s4 but thought s5 was just dark and they expect the whole thing will end stupidly, just like William and Mary, and aren't prepared to invest too much time or personal angst in the build up to the new series in case this happens.

Maybe most Americans who have watched s1-4 straight through without waiting the 2 years between each series haven't felt the angst and disappointment so acutely.

I really feel, sadly, thst MC taking over absolute control has diminished the final product. I know this is heresy. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PLM wrote: »

On another topic, as to the lease of the barn at Roscarrick Farm, while the rumour may or not be accurate, I find it hard to believe that the rent would be increased astronomically--a barn in rural Cornwall can hardly have any other valuable uses. Of course, even a modest rent may add up over a while and BP may be able to do the interior filming in a studio near London more economically.

It is called blackmail. The farmer has BP over a barrell, now that the lease will soon be up, because all of the interior sets have been built inside the barn. They'd have to weigh up the cost of moving them. It might just be the final straw that decides if they continue on with another series. Personally no matter what the cost I wouldn't submit to blackmail. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I really feel, sadly, thst MC taking over absolute control has diminished the final product. I know this is heresy. :rolleyes:

The reason I say this is because MC has said many times that he doesn't understand what the audience sees in grumpy DM. Dominic Minghella had an inate ability to give the audience what they wanted and it is a great pity that they could not both continue on working together. It would have been as exceptional show if they had not just an exceptional s1 and s2.

With the loss of Ben Bolt this series I am really worried that we will lose the continuity that we saw glimpses of losing in s5. I just think a show this complex and nuanced needs more than one person in control.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    The reason I say this is because MC has said many times that he doesn't understand what the audience sees in grumpy DM. Dominic Minghella had an inate ability to give the audience what they wanted and it is a great pity that they could not both continue on working together. It would have been as exceptional show if they had not just an exceptional s1 and s2.

With the loss of Ben Bolt this series I am really worried that we will lose the continuity that we saw glimpses of losing in s5. I just think a show this complex and nuanced needs more than one person in control.

Maybe MC thinks his character of DM is grumpy, yes, most times, but not all - there have many tender, and yes, affectionate, moments in his own way. We see that. He is a very complex, difficult, caring, loving person. We see that. After all these years, MC never ceases to bring another dimension to his character.

As to Ben Bolt, is he completely gone from S6? I went back and checked and he directed 6 of 8 episodes of series 2, 4 and 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    This forum and fan fic have been taken over by the Americans and it is good to have a British perspective on an English show.

Think we need to cull the herd? :)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People, people: Let's not set up a Brit vs. American thing here. Or next you know, we'll have to take on Australia, and after that who knows what other country might pop up!

We all love DM. We love our similarities. We love our differences in discussion. We know how to agree to disagree. We even know how to kiss and make up after a squabble.

Welcome to all the new and earlier forum members who have popped up. So good to have you aboard!

Full disclosure: Yes, I was the peacemaker in my family!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this on Anne Rice's FB page and got an answer.

Hi Anne,
    On behalf of Doc Martin fans, I'd like to invite you to a wonderful forum of folks who find the show to be a treasure also. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1798053&page=100 The forum thread started 6 years ago and has members from all over the world. Check it out.

Anne Rice: Thanks for this. I do so love the show.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this on Anne Rice's FB page and got an answer.

Hi Anne,
    On behalf of Doc Martin fans, I'd like to invite you to a wonderful forum of folks who find the show to be a treasure also. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1798053&page=100 The forum thread started 6 years ago and has members from all over the world. Check it out.

Anne Rice: Thanks for this. I do so love the show.

Good job Susie!
This discussion has been closed.