Options

Ovarian Cancer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
Forum Member
My sister recently had to have emergency surgery to remove one of her ovaries as she had a large cyst which burst, rupturing the ovary.

The cyst was sent of for biopsy and the results have come back that it was cancerous.

She has been referred for an urgent MRI, an appointment with an oncologist and will have to have a full hysterectomy. She is only 30!

Has anyone had any similar experiences and what should she expect? I'm so worried for her and have no idea what to say to reassure her other than that i'm there with her every step of the way. :(

Comments

• Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Garlic wrote: »
    My sister recently had to have emergency surgery to remove one of her ovaries as she had a large cyst which burst, rupturing the ovary.

The cyst was sent of for biopsy and the results have come back that it was cancerous.

She has been referred for an urgent MRI, an appointment with an oncologist and will have to have a full hysterectomy. She is only 30!

Has anyone had any similar experiences and what should she expect? I'm so worried for her and have no idea what to say to reassure her other than that i'm there with her every step of the way. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that - cancer is a bastard (sorry!)
    Hopefully the oncologists will see her very quickly and they will explain everything in detail to her - whether she'll need chemo/radiotherapy as well as surgery, in what order and how much etc. Has she got anyone who can go with her to appointments - are you able to go and support her? I found that my initial appointment (mine was for breast cancer) brought my diagnosis home more than the surgery did...

You can really only tell her that you'll be there for her and give her support in any way she needs it - everyone reacts differently to their diagnosis and needs different types of support at various times during the treatment. Has she got children? If so, I'm sure she'd like to know that you'll support them in any way you can during any treatment as well.

Sorry, that's probably not a lot of help, but I didn't want to read your post and ignore it!
    Hopefully she'll make a full recovery after her treatment - I wish her and you all the best. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sending love and light - and sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she recovers well.

My mum had hystorectomy at 39, just due to fibroids though. But as long as it was ago I remember her needing a lot of support physically after the op, she really had to take it easy. Also was on HRT soon after as started the menopause.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    She'll need lots of help and practical support. If she has to undergo radiotherapy organise a network of buddies to take her to and from her appointments, it's exhausting and debilitating. Help her access as much information as she can about treatments available. The MacMillan forum is an excellent resource.

I hope she makes a full and complete recovery.

Most of us know someone with cancer, if not had some form of it ourselves, and it's no longer a taboo subject. There's a lot of help and advice available, and not just for practical support, emotional too, for you as well as your sister.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    She'll need lots of help and practical support. If she has to undergo radiotherapy organise a network of buddies to take her to and from her appointments, it's exhausting and debilitating. Help her access as much information as she can about treatments available. The MacMillan forum is an excellent resource.

I hope she makes a full and complete recovery.

Most of us know someone with cancer, if not had some form of it ourselves, and it's no longer a taboo subject. There's a lot of help and advice available, and not just for practical support, emotional too, for you as well as your sister.

Definitely a good point about the radiotherapy - often not done at the local hospital - long drives can be tiring, and it's daily treatment.

Talk about it as much as she wants to . Whatever the concerns - diet, money, treatment, pain - there will be good information out there and there may well be local support groups that she can link in to should she wish to.
  • Options
    MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had a cyst on each ovary in 2011 and had a radical hysterectomy. I also had some cancerous cells and had to have Chemo every three weeks for six months. The chemo did make me feel a bit sick but I had tablets for that which helped. No hair loss thank goodness as the Chemo used is Carbo Platin (I think) which targets the stomach area, hence the sickness.

I go to see the various consultants every three months, well, on my last visit, I was told that as three years had passed, every four months would be ok now.

Good luck to your sister, I'm sure everything will be ok :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot depends on what stage the cancer is at. The scan results will determine how your sister moves forward and what options there are. Although she is young, my aunty had o.c at the age of 32...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had ovarian cancer at 21. I'm now 44. A tumour the size of a rugby ball removed. Also cancerous but encapsulated in its own sack (bit like an amniotic one). However biopsies showed it hadn't spread. I had no follow up treatment other than regular monitoring for 10 years post it.

Until your sister has seen the oncologist you really don't know what she could be dealing with. They'll decide the best treatment options for your sister.

All you can do is be there to support her on whatever the journey may turn out to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your kind words of reassurance. I have told her that I will attend any appointment that she wants be to go to with her and will help with my niece and 3 nephews. Think she's still in shock and a bit spooked about the fact that if the ovary hadn't burst and the cyst ruptured she'd never have know about it!

Hopefully she won't be waiting long for her appointments.

Thankyou again for your kind words x
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your kind words of reassurance. I have told her that I will attend any appointment that she wants be to go to with her and will help with my niece and 3 nephews. Think she's still in shock and a bit spooked about the fact that if the ovary hadn't burst and the cyst ruptured she'd never have know about it!

Hopefully she won't be waiting long for her appointments.

Thankyou again for your kind words x

Did she have no pain from the cyst? I had a gangrenous OC and was in agony.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Did she have no pain from the cyst? I had a gangrenous OC and was in agony.

I had a 15cm round dermoid cyst and only had two episodes of acute pain that I thought was severe constipation. During the second episode I googled the pain I was feeling and someone had written on a forum `if you had an ovarian cyst you'd be in so much pain you wouldn't be fit to Google it`. So I believed the know it all who thinks everyone has exactly the same experience with cysts and exactly the same pain threshold and ended up losing my ovary.

Anyone reading this, if you feel something isn't right, see your GP no matter how much other people try to influence you into feeling you shouldn't.

Good luck to you and your sister OP.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I had a 15cm round dermoid cyst and only had two episodes of acute pain that I thought was severe constipation. During the second episode I googled the pain I was feeling and someone had written on a forum `if you had an ovarian cyst you'd be in so much pain you wouldn't be fit to Google it`. So I believed the know it all who thinks everyone has exactly the same experience with cysts and exactly the same pain threshold and ended up losing my ovary.

Anyone reading this, if you feel something isn't right, see your GP no matter how much other people try to influence you into feeling you shouldn't.

Good luck to you and your sister OP.

This is such good advice. I would also add, if you feel GP isn't taking you seriously, and you are not happy with his/her verdict, try and see another GP in the practice for a 2nd opinion. My GP twice told me my symptoms were "nothing to be concerned about" but I sensed differently. When I saw another GP (in same practice) he sent me for tests where cancer was diagnosed.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovacome are a brilliant organisation giving support and advice on Ovarian Cancer. There is a forum you can join called My Ovacome, which has a link from the Ovacome Site.

http://www.ovacome.org.uk/
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend had a total hysterectomy and was off work for 6 months.
    Immediately after the operation she was continually puking for a day.
    After that she just felt ill and had a lot of pain from the stitches. She still had twinges up to three years later.

You don't have to tell her this but be prepared for the worst.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted x