Network connection priority 2G/3G/4G

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Ive been conducting some experiments on O2 as they have recently upgraded a local mast about 4 miles away to 4G. Im using a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an O2 pay as you go 4G sim card on the £15 per month Big Bundles tarrif. (I have a contract on Three).

While doing a network search at my house I can pick up O2 - 2G, 3G and 4G when I have the phone up at the window. The phone (including my S2) will stick with 2G (GPRS) as the local mast is only a mile away and O2 have never botherd to upgrade it since it was installed 15 or more years ago.

I decided to do some expermients today to see how well the 4G coverage was. The phone stuck to GPRS a lot of the time with EDGE showing up briefly. In town the phone went over to HSPA+ (normal for in town) although I did manage to force the phone on to 4G for a short while via network setting and did a speed test (16.24Mbps Up and 2.29Mbps Down). Even doing a network search which showed 2G 3G and 4G available the phone would seem to default to 2G probably due to there being a better signal strenght on 2G. Now on Three the phone will tend to go for the highest speed network and will go onto 4G even if a stronger 3G signal is available.

My question is have O2 setup their network to ensure the phone gives priority to best signal strenght rather than highest data speed available?

Comments

• tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    My question is have O2 setup their network to ensure the phone gives priority to best signal strenght rather than highest data speed available?

Can't answer for O2, but I have a work Vodafone (2G and 3G only) and personal EE (2G/3G/4G).

I notice that I get 2G (EDGE) on the Vodafone handset all the time when I should get 3G, and my EE phone gets 3G or 4G. All I have to do is power cycle the phone and I get 3G. I'm fairly convinced Vodafone set the SIM to prefer 2G over 3G, and can only assume its to ensure you can always make voice calls.

I have colleagues on Vodafone 4G (personal) and they get EDGE when they expect 4G, and have to toggle airplane mode.
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same with O2. There is a massive gigantic O2 2G Mast overlooking the town about half a mile from me surrounded by about ten more 3G ones. If I were to switch my 5S to O2 3G right this minute it would get a 3bar signal about 10meg download but shortly after (about two mins) the 2G signal dominates and the phone resets back to GPRS.
    Forum Member
    lee18xx wrote: »
    I have the same with O2. There is a massive gigantic O2 2G Mast overlooking the town about half a mile from me surrounded by about ten more 3G ones. If I were to switch my 5S to O2 3G right this minute it would get a 3bar signal about 10meg download but shortly after (about two mins) the 2G signal dominates and the phone resets back to GPRS.

Yes, I've seen similar with Vodafone !

I assume O2 and Voda are still selling more voice minutes than data, unlike the rest of the world ;-)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lee18xx wrote: »

Yes get similar thing in my house. Can get a weak 3G signal then its back to GPRS.

Looks like data is set as low priority on O2 and Vodafone.
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, I get 3G where I expect it on Vodafone. Guess i must be lucky..
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world! O2 with pretty decent 4G near me, yet phones (now have two with O2 SIMs - Lumia 1020 and Amazon Fire phone) each love to drop to 2G and stay there.

So bloody frustrating.

My Three phone (Xperia Z3) likes to use 4G with just one bar, over 3G that's usually 3 or 4 bars in most of the house. Far more preferable, although obviously there's no 2G to get stuck on.

Thing is O2 has 3G around me too, yet that doesn't even get a look in most of the time.
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    So bloody frustrating.
    I remember reading the SIMs have the ability to supply the phone with a priority order for each protocol. Its high time someone high up at O2 and Vodafone spent a week with a competitors handset and then went back to their own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the exact same problem when I tried Lycamobile (an O2 MVNO) briefly.. I was on a tariff that offered 'unlimited' 4G data (albeit with an AUP), yet most of the time my phone stuck to a solid 2G signal.
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes this used to happen to me with O2, perfectly usable 3g signal but preferred the slower 2g gprs signal. In the end I locked the phone off in wcdma mode only to maintain a constant 3g signal. I'm now on EE which selects 4G, 3g and 2g in that order. Very rarely see gprs or edge on EE these days.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one thing that does concern me about moving networks, presently on three but thinking of moving in 2015 due to the poor 4g roll out in my area and a general slow down in speeds, three & EE's network are identical most the time, and i have a 2 bar average 3g signal on my work route, except EE has an equal strength 4g network and some old orange 2g masts which give a strong for calls which my three phone can sometimes use. The three signal happily sits on the weak 3g unless on rare occasions I loose it completely for a few minutes then it switches to the orange mast 2g, I was surprised when I borrowed My partners EE (Tmobile) iPhone and it basically sat on the 2g network for the complete journey between towns where there was a song 3g signal.
    Is this typical?
    If so does it act in the same way when you have EE 4g contact?
    As there's little point me switching to EE because of poor 3g speeds and lack of 4g only to have access to it all and never get to use it as my phone prefers to sit on the nice safe strong 2g signal when I'm paying lots for a data contract and a smart phone..
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My work phone (s4 mini LTE) on Vodafone very often connects to a distant 3G/4G site which often the phone selects 1 bar of 4G despite a closer local mast that gives pretty strong 2G/Edge signals.

So in my case the phone chooses lower signal strength 4G over stronger 2 or 3G. I assume as voice can't be 4G then the phone switches to 2/3G if a call comes in?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    I remember reading the SIMs have the ability to supply the phone with a priority order for each protocol. Its high time someone high up at O2 and Vodafone spent a week with a competitors handset and then went back to their own.

I'm fairly sure that my T-Mobile SIM a couple of years ago would start calls on 3G but fall back to 2G not long after the call is established, and eventually kick up to 3G when it has ended.

Seems like the sensible approach for O2/VF to implement? (or the ultimate - make it user configurable - but I have no idea how feasible that is)
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that my T-Mobile SIM a couple of years ago would start calls on 3G but fall back to 2G not long after the call is established, and eventually kick up to 3G when it has ended.

Seems like the sensible approach for O2/VF to implement? (or the ultimate - make it user configurable - but I have no idea how feasible that is)

It isn't necessary, and also that means that you can't use 3G data while on a call. My LG G3 lets me take hands free calls in the car and keep displaying maps for the satnav, I want this to retain a reliable data connection. Also you might want to look something up while taking to a friend, it shouldn't be necessary to drop down to 2G sounds frustrating as you would also lose HD voice, not that O2 support that anyway.
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is an o2 issue. My vodafone contract Z2 always chooses 4G over anything else even down to 1 or almost 0 bars. my nearest cell is 2G/ 3G only I never see 2G at home always 3G or upstairs 4G Fro m a distant site My friend on O2 always seems to be in 2G unless he fires up an app or something when it kicks back to 3G he does use a Windows phone thou lol
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It isn't necessary, and also that means that you can't use 3G data while on a call. My LG G3 lets me take hands free calls in the car and keep displaying maps for the satnav, I want this to retain a reliable data connection. Also you might want to look something up while taking to a friend, it shouldn't be necessary to drop down to 2G sounds frustrating as you would also lose HD voice, not that O2 support that anyway.

It can be necessary if you feel that you'd rather have a reliable, consistent 2G signal then have to worry about handoffs between 3G and 2G. It isn't always seamless.

You want data in a call, others don't - that's why a user-settable priority would be nice.