Options

Sky Sports- ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
Forum Member
How Will Sky sports coverage be during the World cup? Will they dedicate a channel for the tournament? Like show classic matches and features? And highlights through out the day?

Will the Coverage be presented from London studio, or will they fly out? Will there be a dedicated on site reporter?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in Australia?

They'll probably fly the team out for the semis/finals rather than the whole tournament. Its crappy ESPN/Star broadcasting units used so only 2-3 of Sky's usual commentary team to be used.

With SS5 up & running I imagine they could dedicate a whole channel to the WC - getting sick of Ashes greatest moments on 24/7!
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Most of Sky Sports Commentators will be there.
    Holding, Warne, Bumble, Nasser, Atherton and probably one of Botham or Knight should all work for Star during the world cup.

Star would need lots of commentators for the event and I expect all of England games would have most of the Sky commentators working in them.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With SS5 up & running I imagine they could dedicate a whole channel to the WC - getting sick of Ashes greatest moments on 24/7!

They should replace that with England's greatest moments (involving non Ashes matches as well).
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should replace that with England's greatest moments (involving non Ashes matches as well).

YeahbI know what you mean, and it seems to be a loop of about 4 programmes.

I imagine the WC to be on SS2 as isntbthat the Cricket Channel, but just not called it
  • Options
    arsenalsriarsenalsri Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    It's in Australia?

They'll probably fly the team out for the semis/finals rather than the whole tournament. Its crappy ESPN/Star broadcasting units used so only 2-3 of Sky's usual commentary team to be used.

And they have the rights for the next 8 years as well.
  • Options
    KoolsKools Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    It's in Australia?

Oh please. Why is it crappy. The last World Cup from India and the last Champions Trophy from England were superb from broadcasting point of view. And they were in HD. Sky just couldnt pump in the money required to purchase the worldwide rights and production rights and ESPNStar did and they are doing a good job at the ICC tournaments which uses a diiferent production team and graphics from what they do at India only series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kools wrote: »
    Oh please. Why is it crappy. The last World Cup from India and the last Champions Trophy from England were superb from broadcasting point of view. And they were in HD. Sky just couldnt pump in the money required to purchase the worldwide rights and production rights and ESPNStar did and they are doing a good job at the ICC tournaments which uses a diiferent production team and graphics from what they do at India only series.

he only really hate the Comm teams which is funny considering even if Sky had the options to choose commentators they would use the same commentators.
    Why would sky want the rights anyway considering they don't get nothing out of it apart from very expensive expenditure when they can just get the cheaper option of getting world feed with all England games getting 3-4 sky commentators anyway.

Apparently Star couldn't even afford to send a team for the Australian summer this year because they will have to spent so much money for the World cup.
  • Options
    KoolsKools Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    he only really hate the Comm teams which is funny considering even if Sky had the options to choose commentators they would use the same commentators.
    Why would sky want the rights anyway considering they don't get nothing out of it apart from very expensive expenditure when they can just get the cheaper option of getting world feed with all England games getting 3-4 sky commentators anyway.

Apparently Star couldn't even afford to send a team for the Australian summer this year because they will have to spent so much money for the World cup.
    Its not because of the money. Its because their commentary team is so jaded from an away England tour, and Champions league t20 and India home series that they have decided to rest them, knowing that they will all have to be down under for the Month and half long world cup in February. And yes-the disadvantage Sky have is they cant choose who gets to commentate on the world cup matches. The 2003 and 2007 world cups were examples of where Sony Max- the then rights holder of ICC tournaments for India assembled a parallel commentary team of around 25 persons separate from world feed and got their own team. I dont think Sky can do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Was watching South Africa vs West Indies test match, and they showed The World Cup will start with a preview show at 8PM on the Feb 13, followed by opening game at 10PM (NZL Vs SRL) and then continue with Aus Vs Eng Coverage, but only mentioned Sky Sports with No channel name.

is the chance there will be a name change for the couple of months of World Cup?
  • Options
    Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being in Australia would it be Fox for the matches played in Australia between 2 foreign teams with Channel 9 for the Australia games and in New Zealand SKY Sports NZ if Fox/Channel 9/SKY Sports NZ are doing the host broadcasting. The reason I mentioned Channel 9 for the Australian team's matches is that under Australian broadcasting law all international cricket matches where the Australian team are playing at home have to be shown on a network that everybody can watch. Also as SKY Sports 2 is the main SKY Sports channel for Cricket I would not be surprised if the whole World Cup was on SKY Sports 2.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being in Australia would it be Fox for the matches played in Australia between 2 foreign teams with Channel 9 for the Australia games and in New Zealand SKY Sports NZ if Fox/Channel 9/SKY Sports NZ are doing the host broadcasting. The reason I mentioned Channel 9 for the Australian team's matches is that under Australian broadcasting law all international cricket matches where the Australian team are playing at home have to be shown on a network that everybody can watch. Also as SKY Sports 2 is the main SKY Sports channel for Cricket I would not be surprised if the whole World Cup was on SKY Sports 2.

ESPN Star are host broadcasters, as per their contract with the ICC

In Australia, Nine and Fox Sports have the rights. No specifics that I've seen have been released, but as a minimum Nine will have each of Australia's games along with the semi-final and final (per Broadcasting services law)

In New Zealand Sky Sport NZ have the rights, certain games will also be televised free-to-air through their partnership with Prime
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope this world cup from a sporting point of view is better than the 2003 and 2007 world cups.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also as SKY Sports 2 is the main SKY Sports channel for Cricket I would not be surprised if the whole World Cup was on SKY Sports 2.

SPI Feb highlights document lists all Feb World Cup games as being on SS2.

Doesn't say anything about renaming the channel but that doesn't mean it might not happen - from the start of the World Cup I can't see anything else listed on SS2 (but of course these are only highlights of what's on so it remains possible).
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect ESPN Star to use commentators from the competing countries with pretty much the full touring Sky commentary team. I can see Sky linking from London with the usual talking heads at the "Stand up" set.

I see that KP has been doing some commentary work during Big Bash, so he may get some World Cup work, also Dominic Cork is always popular with Asian broadcasters.
  • Options
    Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    lincsat wrote: »
    I would expect ESPN Star to use commentators from the competing countries with pretty much the full touring Sky commentary team. I can see Sky linking from London with the usual talking heads at the "Stand up" set.

I see that KP has been doing some commentary work during Big Bash, so he may get some World Cup work, also Dominic Cork is always popular with Asian broadcasters.
    If so, he better not get the England games. The commentary box isn't the right place for a peeved former employee to be venting at his former employer. Hopefully now Cook is gone as ODI captain, KP will get back in his box.
  • Options
    mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If so, he better not get the England games. The commentary box isn't the right place for a peeved former employee to be venting at his former employer. Hopefully now Cook is gone as ODI captain, KP will get back in his box.

So is it just the place for the non-peeved former employees that sky seem to employ? Don't get me wrong, I half agree with you that KP shouldn't necessarily be in the comm box, but mainly because I don't think being a good cricketer automatically makes you a good commentator.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news re terrestrial highlights this time around? I'm guessing that there won't be any which is a shame. Will be the first World Cup since 2003 without terrestrial highlights. I can't see the Beeb being willing to spend the money on mounting a programme this time, as their 2007 rights acquisition came hot on the heels of the 2005 Ashes success (it was announced that October ISTR), and the 2011 highlights came with the 2009 World T20 highlights, a tournament which was held on British soil.

Unless Sky are minded to put the highlights on Pick TV (klaxon time, I know!!) like the Ashes last year? But I think that has to be considered very doubtful indeed.
  • Options
    arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news re terrestrial highlights this time around? I'm guessing that there won't be any which is a shame. Will be the first World Cup since 2003 without terrestrial highlights. I can't see the Beeb being willing to spend the money on mounting a programme this time, as their 2007 rights acquisition came hot on the heels of the 2005 Ashes success (it was announced that October ISTR), and the 2011 highlights came with the 2009 World T20 highlights, a tournament which was held on British soil.

Unless Sky are minded to put the highlights on Pick TV (klaxon time, I know!!) like the Ashes last year? But I think that has to be considered very doubtful indeed.

I believe World Cup matches involving England (and the semis and final) are Cat B protected. so highlights have to be FTA somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By law ICC has to make Highlights available to FTA even if it is free or very cheap price for the broadcaster.
    I suspect BBC or ITV will buy it and show it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events
    Although only england, Ireland and scotland games + semis and final have to be available although they generally show the entire tournament since 2000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By law ICC has to make Highlights available to FTA even if it is free or very cheap price for the broadcaster.
    I suspect BBC or ITV will buy it and show it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events
    Although only england, Ireland and scotland games + semis and final have to be available although they generally show the entire tournament since 2000.

I think the listed events status just means that the rights holder cannot deny a terrestrial broadcaster the rights if they bid *enough* - but what enough means is still up to the rights holder. Indeed, in 2003 the tournament had no FTA highlights, despite both C4 and the BBC being interested at one stage or another, as Sky deemed that neither had bid high enough. They then both lost interest and Sky had that tournament exclusively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you sure remember Channel 4 having highlights for the 03 tournament.
    They didn't show all the games but certainly remember seeing england highlights on it.

anyway Dobell confirmed they will be FTA highlight but doesn't know the channel yet.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the listed events status just means that the rights holder cannot deny a terrestrial broadcaster the rights if they bid *enough* - but what enough means is still up to the rights holder.

It's not purely up to the rights holder.

I can't be bothered to go back through the legislation but from memory it says something like the rights holder must offer the rights to an FTA broadcaster at a fair and reasonable price.

If there is then a dispute about what is fair and reasonable then it is a matter for the Secretary of State to determine whether the actual amount offered by an FTA broadcaster is fair and reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure remember Channel 4 having highlights for the 03 tournament.
    They didn't show all the games but certainly remember seeing england highlights on it.

anyway Dobell confirmed they will be FTA highlight but doesn't know the channel yet.

100% positive. No FTA coverage whatsoever for 2003. Even ICC Cricket World, which had shown two-minute highlights packages for each week of the 2002 Champions Trophy, had come off air the week before the World Cup. ("Enjoy the World Cup!" said Barbara Daniels, the voice-over artist, as the credits rolled on the final episode as I turned off in disgust, having expected the series to air through the World Cup, giving some small crumbs to us terrestrial viewers!) In fact, I have even put the final episode end up on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU6hYvlufZ8&spfreload=10

Great to hear that there may well be FTA coverage this time around - here's hoping!
    mlt11 wrote: »
    It's not purely up to the rights holder.

I can't be bothered to go back through the legislation but from memory it says something like the rights holder must offer the rights to an FTA broadcaster at a fair and reasonable price.

If there is then a dispute about what is fair and reasonable then it is a matter for the Secretary of State to determine whether the actual amount offered by an FTA broadcaster is fair and reasonable.

Many thanks for the clarification - I knew I'd get it wrong! In any case, my main point stands - B list does not 100% mean that there will be FTA highlights - as evidenced in 2003.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madmusician any chance you can remember mark Nicholas role in that world cup found a video on you tube with him anchoring the beginning of the match and the end, but doesn't show 4 dog and I can't find a 20 mins highlights of one England game which clearly showed 4 showing the highlights.

But I take your word for it since I was only 9 during this world cup and only saw channel 4 coverage in you tube years later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madmusician any chance you can remember mark Nicholas role in that world cup found a video on you tube with him anchoring the beginning of the match and the end, but doesn't show 4 dog and I can't find a 20 mins highlights of one England game which clearly showed 4 showing the highlights.

But I take your word for it since I was only 9 during this world cup and only saw channel 4 coverage in you tube years later.

Mark Nicholas appears to have voiced that year's official DVD/VHS release following the tournament - this might have been what you found on YouTube?

I was only 11 during the tournament, but took an interest in all the broadcasting stuff even at that young age (!!) - I remember being absolutely devastated that C4 was not showing it, and that I (living in a terrestrial-only household) had no access to coverage beyond reports on the news. If C4 did show some highlights, then they must have been unbilled and unadvertised - I really don't think they did. I even remember Simon Hughes alluding to the lack of FTA highlights in newspaper columns he wrote at the time.

If you can find the package on YouTube I'd be really interested to see it.

EDIT: Was it this package? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2dTzER51-A&spfreload=10 I've always thought that this was from a post-tournament DVD release, rather than C4 highlights. Indeed, that YouTube user is an Aussie, so it's unlikely that this came from British TV.