Knighthoods for what exactly?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
Forum Member
On the subject of Knighthoods....

Cliff Richard - why? Services to music (thats a joke in its self) His work for charidee? Or was it just for being rich?

Elton John - why? Services to music (very debatable) His Work for Aids Charidees? (Mainly a self inflicted disease) Or again for being very rich?

Mick Jagger - Why? No comments needed at all really!

Paul McCartney - Why? Cannot be for services for music surely. Bland in the extreme (Frog Chorus, Mull of Kringetyre and many many more) Charidee? (Yawn) For being a Vegetarian? For having a 1.5 legged young Wife? Or for just accumulating a vast wealth made on the back of mainly someone else (Lennon)

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knighthood for being famous.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Blair closes his eyes, Cherie turn him round 3 times and whatever CD is the first to be pulled out the artist gets a knighthood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    Tony Blair closes his eyes, Cherie turn him round 3 times and whatever CD is the first to be pulled out the artist gets a knighthood

I like it :D
  • WythrolWythrol Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KBE ... Knights of the Bland Empire
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I'm just glad we dont still oporate like in medievil times!

Back then our nights of the realm were big dudes who would fight for king and country with huge swords..

Imagaine if we had to rely on todays "knights" for this...Gheldoff, John and co....

We would get our asses whooped!
    Forum Member
    djpray2k wrote:
    I'm just glad we dont still oporate like in medievil times!

Back then our nights of the realm were big dudes who would fight for king and country with huge swords..

Imagaine if we had to rely on todays "knights" for this...Gheldoff, John and co....

We would get our asses whooped!

I am not so sure..

As soon as I hear any of the Cliff Richard Christmas Fill my Bank Account more songs I feel like leaving the country. So, a quick blast of Mistletoe and Whine could be more than enough to stop a riot or repel an invasion! The same could be said of Mull of Kintyre, Candle in the Wind (Diana Version) etc!

I am not sure about Elton John as a deterrent though. Some old fat bloke prancing about with a dead squirrel on his head singing "Saturday Nights Allright for Fighting" is not exactly going to scare an invading army!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Bernie2004 wrote:

Paul McCartney - Why? Cannot be for services for music surely. Bland in the extreme (Frog Chorus, Mull of Kringetyre and many many more) Charidee? (Yawn) For being a Vegetarian? For having a 1.5 legged young Wife? Or for just accumulating a vast wealth made on the back of mainly someone else (Lennon)

Ah come on....

the guy was part of the most influential bands in Britain and indeed the world!!!!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie2004 wrote:

Cliff Richard - why? Services to music (thats a joke in its self) His work for charidee? Or was it just for being rich?

Elton John - why? Services to music (very debatable) His Work for Aids Charidees? (Mainly a self inflicted disease) Or again for being very rich?

I agree that these stars should not be given knighthoods purely for being part of the entertainment business; however, saying that AIDS is 'mostly self inflicted' is highly offensive.
    Forum Member
    I agree that these stars should not be given knighthoods purely for being part of the entertainment business; however, saying that AIDS is 'mostly self inflicted' is highly offensive.

I was not going out of my way to be highly offensive. Would I be right in believing that the HIV infection is mainly spread in the Western World though unprotected sex and the sharing of needles through drug abuse?
    Forum Member
    Ah come on....

the guy was part of the most influential bands in Britain and indeed the world!!!!

Of course...but I always thought the John Lennon Beatle Songs where far better.

And what did McCartney do after the Beatles to completedly ruin his music credibility. I can sum that up in one sentence.....

Forming Wings as well as letting his then Wife Linda sing!

And after being responsible for that he gets a bloody Knighthood!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie2004 wrote:
    I was not going out of my way to be highly offensive. Would I be right in believing that the HIV infection is mainly spread in the Western World though unprotected sex and the sharing of needles through drug abuse?

No, it is mainly spread in Africa and the third world where people are ill-educated about contraception and safe-sex.

I didn't like the way you dismissed AIDS as self inflicted - this is partly true but there are cases where it is NOT self inflicted and even if it is, so what, do sufferers not deserve compassion? Do you dismiss people with lung cancer who smoke? Alcoholics with liver cirrhosis, people who parachute out of planes for fun and become paraplegics etc. etc.... These are all 'self inflicted' conditions.
    Forum Member
    No, it is mainly spread in Africa and the third world where people are ill-educated about contraception and safe-sex.

I didn't like the way you dismissed AIDS as self inflicted - this is partly true but there are cases where it is NOT self inflicted and even if it is, so what, do sufferers not deserve compassion? Do you dismiss people with lung cancer who smoke? Alcoholics with liver cirrhosis, people who parachute out of planes for fun and become paraplegics etc. etc.... These are all 'self inflicted' conditions.

I meant "Western World" and NOT 3rd World Countries where sadly ignorance is rife. I certainly have compassion for them.

In somes countries, like the UK for example, some people pursue a life style of unprotected sex and/or drug abuse and then bleat woe is me when they catch something. The same goes for smokers and alcoholics. Yes, I have little or no compassion for them. Why should I - they are not ignorant of the risks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie2004 wrote:
    I meant "Western World" and NOT 3rd World Countries where sadly ignorance is rife. I certainly have compassion for them.

In somes countries, like the UK for example, some people pursue a life style of unprotected sex and/or drug abuse and then bleat woe is me when they catch something. The same goes for smokers and alcoholics. Yes, I have little or no compassion for them. Why should I - they are not ignorant of the risks.

But you specifically said it was mainly spread 'in the western world' which is incorrect.

OK, well, I'm sure your Nobel Peace Prize is winging its way to you as we speak :D I wish I could be as self-righteous as you but sadly, very often, environmental factors contribute to illnesses more than is widely known or understood. Car fumes and Carbon Monoxide emissions are now so bad in cities in the UK that anybody who doesn't wear a mask when they go out should not bleat about it when they contract cancer/heart disease (this is taking your argument to its logical conclusion).

Anyway, back on topic - knighthoods are meaningless anyway. Our company CEO has just been given one - for earning 6 million a year.. I don't believe in calling anyone 'Sir' or creating unecessary hierarchies.
    Forum Member
    But you specifically said it was mainly spread 'in the western world' which is incorrect.

OK, well, I'm sure your Nobel Peace Prize is winging its way to you as we speak :D I wish I could be as self-righteous as you but sadly, very often, environmental factors contribute to illnesses more than is widely known or understood. Car fumes and Carbon Monoxide emissions are now so bad in cities in the UK that anybody who doesn't wear a mask when they go out should not bleat about it when they contract cancer/heart disease (this is taking your argument to its logical conclusion).

Anyway, back on topic - knighthoods are meaningless anyway. Our company CEO has just been given one - for earning 6 million a year.. I don't believe in calling anyone 'Sir' or creating unecessary hierarchies.

Yes, back on Topic....

Funnily enough my CEO got a Knighthood last year - but he only earns 1 million a year and has apparently refused any salary increases as he says he gets paid enough. He is the lowest paid CEO of a Major Company in Europe. And he prefers to be called by his first name and chastises anyone who calls him "Sir" etc. Perhaps he should not have taken the Knighthood then I suppose but he is much liked and respected by the main workforce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Bernie2004 wrote:

I don’t think your being Homophobic – But was that comment aimed at any particular group of people in society?

I’m not being overly sensitive, I just think that if your going to make comments like that - people are going to want you to justify why you have that PoV.
  • sonnybroonsonnybroon Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bernie2004 wrote:

Give over, These artisits are legends. This is the era when pop and rock is around. If John Lennon was still alive, He too would have been knighted years ago. Make way for Robbie Williams in 15 years time and maybe the Bee Gees should each get one too in the next few years
    Forum Member
    sonnybroon wrote:
    Give over, These artisits are legends. This is the era when pop and rock is around. If John Lennon was still alive, He too would have been knighted years ago. Make way for Robbie Williams in 15 years time and maybe the Bee Gees should each get one too in the next few years

I would like to think that if John Lennon was still alive and had been offered a Knighthood - he would have turned it down. On the grounds of the the ole Working Class Hero bit... More than likely he would have gone the way of McCartney and Jagger!

Cliff Richard a legend? Good god - dont legends come cheap and plenty these days!

And Robbie Williams? You cannot be serious!

As for the Bee Gees though - very very hard to knock em!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bernie2004 wrote:
    I would like to think that if John Lennon was still alive and had been offered a Knighthood - he would have turned it down. On the grounds of the the ole Working Class Hero bit... More than likely he would have gone the way of McCartney and Jagger!

Cliff Richard a legend? Good god - dont legends come cheap and plenty these days!

And Robbie Williams? You cannot be serious!

As for the Bee Gees though - very very hard to knock em!

I forgot, John Lennon handed back his OBE he got with the other Beatles in 1965 to Buckingham Palace in the late 60's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Can Robin Gibb actually sing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Arise Sir Richard and Dame Judy I
    can see it coming lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianco wrote:
    Arise Sir Richard and Dame Judy I
    can see it coming lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I cannot stand the tea and cucumber sandwiches couple..trite silly people....mind you it could get worse..Dame Kylie ?? ...for services to the utterly banal,bland,germ free antiseptic souless sexless pop jiggery with a helium mask..... :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Bernie2004 wrote:
    Elton John - why? Services to music (very debatable) His Work for Aids Charidees? (Mainly a self inflicted disease)

God I am truly horrified that people still hold this point of view. Your whole post was completely devalued in my eyes by this one comment.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bernie2004 wrote:

I could try and explain but as I do not even have an humble MBE I am clearly not worthy.

I take it that you are fully in favour of Sir Mark Thatcher. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    jenanne wrote:
    God I am truly horrified that people still hold this point of view. Your whole post was completely devalued in my eyes by this one comment.

Devalued! :eek:

Oh no I shall never recover! :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about these actors

Sir Leslie Grantham (for his years in EastEnders)

Dame June Brown (for her many years in Walford)

Dame Nataile Cassidy (She's a 'legend')

Dame Julie Goodyear (For her years in Corrie)

Sir William Roache (His years in the Street)

Sir William Tarmy (His time too in the Street)

Dame Patsy Kensit (Many years of acting and men)

Sir Ross Kemp (His hardman career)

Dame Samia Ghandie (Her 'legendry' time in Corrie)