Films that make you cry

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best tearjerker of the last 20 years: 'Jack and Sarah'.

Oh, and 'Star Wars: The Phantom Menace' - but for completely different treasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit to crying at just about anything – I have a very low emotional threshold :) . However films, which both make me cry and reflect, are ones, which pay tribute to the human spirit and it’s resilience not to be broken through a magnitude of adversity.

Schindler's List – There are numerous sections of this film that move me to tears, either through the sheer tragedy and brutality of the Holocaust, to the human triumph over it. The film combines remarkable humanity with abhorrent inhumanity, which plays true testament to the resilience of the human spirit when living a real nightmare. My tears just flow uncontrollably when watching it.

The Elephant Man - A true story of human dignity and friendship, set against a milieu of bigotry, brutality and hypocrisy. To see someone so dignified, and unique, hidden behind a body and face that society considers repulse, is truly heartrending. To experience the worst humanity, has to offer - indeed his life has consisted of little else. Yet he still had an exquisite appreciation of what was best and most beautiful in mankind/life - is incredibly moving. Again the tears just flow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Forrest Gump gets me everytime - when Bubba dies and at the end where hes at the grave
    My Girl - the funeral of the boy Maccauly Culkin plays was v sad
    The last thing i cried at was the episodes of 8 simple rules about paul's death
    When Satine dies in Moulin Rouge (despite knowing full well whats coming) I stil hope that she'd stay alive :o
    I do usually end up in tears when anyone dies in any film tho.
    Did anyone see the '100 greatest tear jerkers'? ET was number one, but i cna't say i remember being particularly bothered by any part of that...do i just have no heart?
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    Forrest Gump gets me everytime - when Bubba dies and at the end where hes at the grave
    My Girl - the funeral of the boy Maccauly Culkin plays was v sad
    The last thing i cried at was the episodes of 8 simple rules about paul's death
    When Satine dies in Moulin Rouge (despite knowing full well whats coming) I stil hope that she'd stay alive :o
    I do usually end up in tears when anyone dies in any film tho.
    Did anyone see the '100 greatest tear jerkers'? ET was number one, but i cna't say i remember being particularly bothered by any part of that...do i just have no heart?

I must admit that the funeral in My Girl really sets me off too - it's not the fact that Macauley Culkin has died (!) but the effect on his friend. :cry: Whatever happened to that girl in the film I wonder? Can't remember her name.

I did definitely cry at ET the first time I saw it - the bit where Elliot and ET hug before he gets back in the space ship.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anna Chumsky was her name, if you check IMDB you should be able to see what she has appeared in since and any future projects lined up.

Paddy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    The NoteBook
    The Green Mile
    Forrest Gump
    Braveheart
    Titanic

Sad But True!

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about My Girl! That got me everytime aswell. :( When she's shouting that he needs his glasses because he can't see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no particular order...

Dancer in the Dark (I sobbed for about an hour... proper baby sobbing too!)
    Schindlers List
    Magnolia
    AI
    Beaches
    A League of their Own (don't know why)
    Watership Down
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Not too many films made me cry …
    In the cinema, it was only
    - Moulin Rouge
    - Pearl Harbor
    - A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Last time I cried watching a movie was yesterday - I saw the first two episodes of "Angels in America" on TV, I guess I cried about three times.
    Can’t wait for the next four! I love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 26 and cry like a baby when I watch A.I.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cry at alot of films (have low emotional barriers) even the TV series of Dr. Who sets me off
  • shazspiceshazspice Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I am Sam makes me cry everytime i watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    The Terminal, I love that film :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I cry at:

Big Fish - so sad at the end.
    Forrest Gump - the music gets me everytime
    ET - scarred me for life haven't watched it since I was 7!

They are the only ones I can think of I must have a heart of stone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Sophie's Choice

oh my god
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazzap wrote:
    The Terminal, I love that film :cry:
    I haven't seen the terminal, but I've been told it's great. I can't wait to see it. I'll have a box of tissues handy, just in case. :o:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    You will love The Terminal, it chokes me up, especially the last 30 mins of the film. I won't give the plot away too much. Tom Hanks is superb! Happy viewing - hope you enjoy it :)
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    A Certain Sacrifice
    Dumbo (yes I know but I cannot watch it)
    E.T
    Flowers In The Attic
    The Champ
    The Last Snows Of Spring
    Who Will Love My Children
    The Green Mile
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,308
    Forum Member
    Code Y wrote:
    I must admit to crying at just about anything – I have a very low emotional threshold :) . However films, which both make me cry and reflect, are ones, which pay tribute to the human spirit and it’s resilience not to be broken through a magnitude of adversity.

Schindler's List – There are numerous sections of this film that move me to tears, either through the sheer tragedy and brutality of the Holocaust, to the human triumph over it. The film combines remarkable humanity with abhorrent inhumanity, which plays true testament to the resilience of the human spirit when living a real nightmare. My tears just flow uncontrollably when watching it.

The Elephant Man - A true story of human dignity and friendship, set against a milieu of bigotry, brutality and hypocrisy. To see someone so dignified, and unique, hidden behind a body and face that society considers repulse, is truly heartrending. To experience the worst humanity, has to offer - indeed his life has consisted of little else. Yet he still had an exquisite appreciation of what was best and most beautiful in mankind/life - is incredibly moving. Again the tears just flow.

How can you not shed a tear for poor Joh Merrick. It is such a sad film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    french film "the chorus",i dare u not to cry at one of the final scenes of this movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending of Finding Neverland with Johnny Depp giving a pep talk to boy is a real choker.
    Other than that, Miracle Mile.
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armeggedon?!!!

Dear Lord.

Shawshank...
    It's A Wonderful Life...
    Moulin Rouge possibly...
    The Accused maybe...
    Thelma and Louise a little bit...
    oh, The Sixth Sense, definitely. The scene in the car near the end. Actually, I don't think that film gets enough credit... the twist is great, but the rest is maybe even greater. An incredibly emotional film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as of yet never cryed at a film!!! i just cant cry when i know its not real...same way i dont get scared at horror movies...again its not real and its usually pretty obvious when something is about to happen they always build it up. anyway gone a bit off topic here sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    "Always" (directed by Steven Spielberg but hardly anyone has heard of it). Similar story to Ghost I suppose.

"What Dreams May Come" - saw this on DVD with my girlfriend a few weeks ago (it's one of her favourite films).

"Grave Of The Fireflies" - cried like a baby during this film.

"A.I." - especially the bit where he begs his mum not to leave him and the bit right at the end when he finally sleeps(welling up already).

Also "Truly, Madly, Deeply" but I think that was a BBC made-for-TV drama rather than a film. Again, the story was similar to Ghost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Oh, and Doctor Zhivago too... the original with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie. Gets me every time.