Options

What happens at the next election?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Presumably, once the election is called, the parties will begin to campaign on their own polices. Any Lib Dems who are serving in the Tory cabinet may be campaigning on certain policies, whilst actually implementing very different ones, at least up until the time of the result. Clegg will have to approve of a manifesto with significant differences to the Tory one, in order to allow voters to differentaite between the two parties. Would he then have to explain why he was part of a government which did many things of which he did not approve. An extreme example may be having a Lib Dem defence Minister, in charge of replacing Trident.

Comments

• Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Presumably, once the election is called, the parties will begin to campaign on their own polices. Any Lib Dems who are serving in the Tory cabinet may be campaigning on certain policies, whilst actually implementing very different ones, at least up until the time of the result. Clegg will have to approve of a manifesto with significant differences to the Tory one, in order to allow voters to differentaite between the two parties. Would he then have to explain why he was part of a government which did many things of which he did not approve. An extreme example may be having a Lib Dem defence Minister, in charge of replacing Trident.

I doubt anyone will think that.

The Libdems will go into an election, telling the voters what they'll do if they get a majority; the same with the Conservatives.

Only the very dim and media outlets will think there is a problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Well by the next election most of us peasants will of died off and the gentry shall rule the land as it once was in the good old days. Spiffing.

As I've said before nothing against the rich, but policy can be slanted too heavily to one side and well it's bound to be complicated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be Dim then. I would think that to serve in a government that implemented changes that i didn't believe in might make me appear to be hypocritical, or just plain hungry for power.
  • Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be Dim then. I would think that to serve in a government that implemented changes that i didn't believe in might make me appear to be hypocritical, or just plain hungry for power.

All governments, regardless of party, are full of people who disagree with certain policies.

When people voted for Ken Clark, did they vote for his own opinions on europe or the Conservative View?

Wouldn't it be better to be sitting in Government arguing your case, than on the outside, not making a difference?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two parties will campaign as individual parties. I thought they already explained this(?)

It's not a Tory cabinet but a coalition one. :)
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As has been stated hundreds of times, the choice that the Liberal Democrats faced was either:

a) Allowing the Conservatives to have a minority government (while not a total majority, it would have allowed them more power)

b) Or an alliance where they could get some of the Liberal Democrat policies implemented, plus some of the Tory policies (that they/their supporters didn't like) to be watered down.

Anyone with half a braincell would see b) as the better choice for both the party and their supporters. A few people would have liked to see a Labour or Rainbow coalition, but that simply wasn't possible this time.