• O2 X1O2 X1 Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyhoot, I'm off to bed now, night night all, and 02..... gertcha!!!!! lol

Hey whats that mean??
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I made a thread about a very strange experience that happened to me and some friends in 2010. I suggested that it may have been a paranormal experience and so of course every single reply I got on the thread was either rude, sarcastic or just people trying to be funny and suggesting I'm mad.

After about twenty sarcastic replies and not one intelligent or constructive comment, I asked the mods to delete the thread and eventually they did :D
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you dredge up this thread? Why not start a new one? It's an interesting subject matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorahall wrote: »
    Why did you dredge up this thread? Why not start a new one? It's an interesting subject matter.

I happened to find it and thought it's a good subject for a thread so I posted in it. Better to dredge up an old thread rather than copy it and make a duplicate one :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Yes I made a thread about a very strange experience that happened to me and some friends in 2010. I suggested that it may have been a paranormal experience and so of course every single reply I got on the thread was either rude, sarcastic or just people trying to be funny and suggesting I'm mad.

After about twenty sarcastic replies and not one intelligent or constructive comment, I asked the mods to delete the thread and eventually they did :D

There's a thread on here, I think it's called 'What's the creepiest thing to have happened to you', you wouldn't get cheek on there! In fact please post it as that's my favourite thread. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    There's a thread on here, I think it's called 'What's the creepiest thing to have happened to you', you wouldn't get cheek on there! In fact please post it as that's my favourite thread. :)

Thank you :)

I'll have a look for it and might post my story on it later. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading other peoples experiences too :)
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah stick it on the creepiest stories thread, that is one of my favourite threads! I'll look forward to reading your story.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite regretted, more disappointed as only 7 people replied and it shrivelled up and died. I may resurrect the subject in another format under a different forum soon as the subject is worth it. ;):)
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do tell
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was trying to get my weight loss bet off the ground, I had really reached the absolute end of my tether and posted a thread in frustration asking if i could feasibly take legal action against my GP to force her to approve my request ..

Boy did that go down well :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Do tell

Too heart-breaking! I feel more sorry for the subject than myself. He had numerous 'views' but few bothered to write their opinion!! :(:cry:
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought of posting one yesterday but later decided I might have regretted it for the responses I might have got. I wasn't in a good mood at all last night, think I was kind of out of it anyway so it was maybe just as well I didn't. I'd just thought of posting something asking for advice, which would make me seem even more weak than I do already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorahall wrote: »
    Yeah stick it on the creepiest stories thread, that is one of my favourite threads! I'll look forward to reading your story.

please please do Cobwebsoup. That is my favourite thread too.

Yes I have posted threads I have regretted, as it's just the luck of the draw whether people are okay with you or not and if they're not, they tend to attract more of the same kind, so especially if you're in advice, it can be a waste of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I actually thought of posting one yesterday but later decided I might have regretted it for the responses I might have got. I wasn't in a good mood at all last night, think I was kind of out of it anyway so it was maybe just as well I didn't. I'd just thought of posting something asking for advice, which would make me seem even more weak than I do already.

Aah, I do feel for you, Izzy. :) My experience hasn't put me off launching a new thread again in the near future but I would put it in a more appropriate place next time. As to your own query, there is nothing to lose by starting your thread and so I'd say just go ahead and do it, but be prepared for puerile 'replies' and the usual suspects displaying their notion of wit!! :)
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Yeah usually the ones that people never bother to reply to :rolleyes: or ones that get a couple of half arsed comments and the thread is left to rot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aah, I do feel for you, Izzy. :) My experience hasn't put me off launching a new thread again in the near future but I would put it in a more appropriate place next time. As to your own query, there is nothing to lose by starting your thread and so I'd say just go ahead and do it, but be prepared for puerile 'replies' and the usual suspects displaying their notion of wit!! :)

I'm not sure. I feel so self conscious sometimes :o :rolleyes: I fear I'll end up being ignored or labelled something, if im not already (not that I should care, I know). Thats part of the problem - ugh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! 4 years ago I started a thread expressing my hatred for Tom Cruise :D the thread got 500+ responses over a 4yr period. Last year I requested it to be deleted and the mods did indeed remove the thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Yeah usually the ones that people never bother to reply to :rolleyes: or ones that get a couple of half arsed comments and the thread is left to rot.

Ooh that reminds me of one thread I started months ago and never got a single reply to. I asked, basically if you insult and slag off your own gender, does that count as sexism and can you be done for it? sort of like people of a certain ethnicity having a go at themselves and then being done for being racist against themselves. That thread got 0 replies, which somewhat surprised me. I'm still curious about the question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. I feel so self conscious sometimes :o :rolleyes: I fear I'll end up being ignored or labelled something, if im not already (not that I should care, I know). Thats part of the problem - ugh.

Well, you can be certain of one reply at least! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

It's often difficult to tell in advance how people will react to what you say. Sometimes what you consider to be an innocuous and quite logical statement or opinion, will meet with very strong responses against you. I got absolutely slaughtered for my opinions in one thread I made earlier this year, with most of the comments aimed at me, rather than the topic itself.

For that reason, I avoid what might be sensitive/ controversial topics these days. I will stick to the totally banal or just vaguely interesting.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Ooh that reminds me of one thread I started months ago and never got a single reply to. I asked, basically if you insult and slag off your own gender, does that count as sexism and can you be done for it? sort of like people of a certain ethnicity having a go at themselves and then being done for being racist against themselves. That thread got 0 replies, which somewhat surprised me. I'm still curious about the question.

Ive had ones like that, its a pretty good question and you sit there and refresh... refresh.... refresh..... re.... fresh.... and you see it slip way down the order onto page 2 then page 3 then you just give up. My thread now about twitter locations hasn't got a reply yet, it probably wont lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Ive had ones like that, its a pretty good question and you sit there and refresh... refresh.... refresh..... re.... fresh.... and you see it slip way down the order onto page 2 then page 3 then you just give up. My thread now about twitter locations hasn't got a reply yet, it probably wont lol.

Yeah thats pretty depressing. Sometimes I notice threads reach practically the end of the first page before getting its first reply and then a few hours later its pretty popular and may even be on to a 2nd page of replies.

lol I just replied to that :p
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I have sometimes been in the process of starting a thread, I am typing up what I want to post, then I stop and think to myself if I really need to post it, so many a potentially great idea from me has never surfaced, because of my over-sensible conscience! :p