Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the Cheltenham coverage this afternoon. Thommo is a good addition

On the other hand , had to turn Sheila Fogherty off before

There's probably someone who did the opposite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Loved the Cheltenham coverage. I enjoyed all the contributors. Great to hear the old Channel 4 racing guy Derek Thompson. Superb broadcaster. Shame Mick Fitzgerald is no longer available though.......

I can sometimes find Inverdale insufferable (verbal diarrhea...) but he can be great too.

Fed up already with the non-Pope news. No one knows anything, it's done in secret, and those 'in the know' aren't allowed to say describe has happened in the past......... Perfect for rolling news.......... (!).......... :rolleyes:

Best part of it was a text that someone sent in along the lines of... "The next Pope needs be someone who will modernise the church and take it into the 16th Century"....... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Even Gabby Logan was far better in that slot.

But at least Fogarty actually presents most of the shows that has her name attached to it.

During the last couple of months of Logan's show, she was off so often and for so long when she was on, it felt like she was providing holiday relief cover on her own show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartS wrote: »
    During the last couple of months of Logan's show, she was off so often and for so long when she was on, it felt like she was providing holiday relief cover on her own show.

Even when Logan was there, she co-presented with George Riley.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God! The pigging bump club is on Livesey again tonight. Please spare us this crap!
  • Options
    mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    Oh God! The pigging bump club is on Livesey again tonight. Please spare us this crap!

Got a choice of other radio stations... 5live isn't just catering for you...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The correct name for the show is Bomp Clob.;)
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    Got a choice of other radio stations... 5live isn't just catering for you...:rolleyes:

Who is this catering for? Have you heard it? It's absolutely dire!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even when Logan was there, she co-presented with George Riley.

Their 'banter' was painful. He doesn't strike me as particularly clever, funny or interesting. Just a perfectly ordinary guy (which I'm sure he's take as a huge complement). I feel sorry for Rachel Burden who has to struggle to get a word in between Riley's and Campbell's 'banter' on Breakfast. That's all Campbell's fault though.

Shame because I think Logan was good (when she was there........) And her knowledge of sport was obviously excellent which helped a lot I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is this catering for? Have you heard it? It's absolutely dire!

Yes, I'm a bloke and listening to it now. It's aimed at new parents and there's quite a few of them...

Don't worry it's ending soon you can tune back in after 11.30.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

We need more feminisation of Radio 5 like we need 5 more years of Cameron
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey - what a load of blokey blokes we have on here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Cheltenham coverage this afternoon. Thommo is a good addition

I thought from the 5 live blog that the phlegmy Darren Fletcher might be involved but fortunately he isn't.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    Blimey - what a load of blokey blokes we have on here!

There's no point in trying to preach to the converted - those who hate much of Five Live's output and make remarks about features based on the presenter's accent rather than the content.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    There's no point in trying to preach to the converted - those who hate much of Five Live's output and make remarks about features based on the presenter's accent rather than the content.

At least they contribute to the thread to discuss 5 live output rather than just criticising other posters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least they contribute to the thread to discuss 5 live output rather than just criticising other posters

Inlcuding comments like "there are other radio stations to listen to" and "it's over at 1130 so you can tune back in then". (both of which I happen to agree with).

Tell me, how is discussing Victoria Derbyshire's location "discussing the output"? Ditto people's traveling arrangements, calling for presenters to be sacked etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inlcuding comments like "there are other radio stations to listen to" and "it's over at 1130 so you can tune back in then". (both of which I happen to agree with).

Tell me, how is discussing Victoria Derbyshire's location "discussing the output"? Ditto people's traveling arrangements, calling for presenters to be sacked etc?

Reading your comments I often wonder if you actually listen to much of 5 live or just jump in with your pompous criticism of posters who dare to have a negative view of BBC output. It has been pointed out numerous times by other posters why Derbyshire broadcasting from London is significant and relevant so I’m not going to regurgitate it again and by travelling arrangements I presume you are referring to Nolan being flown in from Belfast which you have refused to discuss after being proven wrong regarding the BBC paying his travel expenses. Go on break a habit of a lifetime and actually discuss the station rather than just criticising other posters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reading your comments I often wonder if you actually listen to much of 5 live or just jump in with your pompous criticism of posters who dare to have a negative view of BBC output. It has been pointed out numerous times by other posters why Derbyshire broadcasting from London is significant and relevant so I’m not going to regurgitate it again and by travelling arrangements I presume you are referring to Nolan being flown in from Belfast which you have refused to discuss after being proven wrong regarding the BBC paying his travel expenses. Go on break a habit of a lifetime and actually discuss the station rather than just criticising other posters.

Brilliant. Dodging my questions and then accusing me of doing exactly the same!

What's been pointed out is people's dislike of Victoria Derbyshire, and using the travelling issue as a stick to beat her with.

I've not refused to discuss Nolan. AVK's comments neither proved or disproved who was paying his expenses.

As for suggesting that I discuss the station's output, read back and you've seen that I commented on VD's feature on the runaway mum, the Easteigh by election and other content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brilliant. Dodging my questions and then accusing me of doing exactly the same!

What's been pointed out is people's dislike of Victoria Derbyshire, and using the travelling issue as a stick to beat her with.

I've not refused to discuss Nolan. AVK's comments neither proved or disproved who was paying his expenses.

As for suggesting that I discuss the station's output, read back and you've seen that I commented on VD's feature on the runaway mum, the Easteigh by election and other content.

I have answered your points, but to repeat I think even you can admit a quote from AVK shows the BBC / 5 live pay for Nolan to be flown in from Belfast to present his show:

5. Why do you fly Stephen Nolan to Manchester to present his show when he could stay in Belfast and present down the line? How much does it cost to transport him and put him up in Manchester?

Let me say firstly that we always try to achieve the highest quality programme at the best value for money. To produce a live, all-speech three hour radio programme involves far more people than just the presenter. Stephen Nolan's production team are all based in Manchester and are part of a seven day a week operation there which is more efficient to organise than a number of small, individual production teams in different parts of the country. Of course there is a cost involving in bringing Stephen to Manchester and we have tried presenting the programme from Belfast on occasions. But editorially there is a danger of leaving a presenter isolated especially in the event of breaking news so on those occasions we have found it necessary to send a member of the production team to Belfast to make this work smoothly, therefore not making any saving. Of course many media presenters have regularly travelled to London to present programmes over the years, incurring costs as they do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/201...answered.shtml

Yes. I'll conveniently ignore things as much as anyone else in this forum does. I'm not accountable to you or Digital Spy.

Sounds like refusing to discuss with lordloz to me?

So can you explain why the reasons given for Nolan needing to be in Salford do not apply to Derbyshire?

Why should other staff / presenters be forced to relocate, commute or quit but not Derbyshire?

How to justify the massive expense of the move to Salford when a main programme in the weekday schedule is presented from Salford less than a quarter of the time?

"..production team are all based in Manchester and are part of a seven day a week operation there which is more efficient to organise than a number of small, individual production teams in different parts of the country" and “...editorially there is a danger of leaving a presenter isolated especially in the event of breaking news” – so yes it is related to output isn’t it?

Ok maybe you have commented on a couple of bits of content but 99.9% of your posts are simply attacking other posters
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundhog wrote: »
    Their 'banter' was painful. He doesn't strike me as particularly clever, funny or interesting. Just a perfectly ordinary guy (which I'm sure he's take as a huge complement). I feel sorry for Rachel Burden who has to struggle to get a word in between Riley's and Campbell's 'banter' on Breakfast. That's all Campbell's fault though.

Shame because I think Logan was good (when she was there........) And her knowledge of sport was obviously excellent which helped a lot I think.
    She was, and what particularly struck me was how good she was at interviewing people outside her sphere of sport. She always managed to keep the humour flowing during the proceedings. Also the medical and financilal 'special hour' were conducted way better than with Fogarty who just somehow seems to make the whole thing sound a yawn. Martin Lewis said on Gabby's last show what a gas it had been to work with her. Her departure was a loss for me anyway.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    What is the point of Fogherty being out in Popeland? It could take those idiots weeks to elect another idiot. Is she going to stay out there for weeks? It's not as if the BBC are short of Pope watchers is it?
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Rodders

Wonderful imagery referring to Cardinals as idiots.

I am accumulating various words and phrases from those accusing Radio 5 of dumbing down. For example "fanny centric" "nut job" and "sob story" stick in the mind.

I entirely take the point about Victoria Derbyshire'.s non appearance in Salford. However I am sure her critics (as honest people) will admit their hostility to her pre dates the time when Radio 5 moved to the North West.

The only presenters I know on 5 live who get very little grief are Peter Allen and John Murray, though Pougach seems to survive the slings and arrows. That is life but I think it a mistake to believe that just because I don't like a particular presenter that everybody else thinks the same.

It's also a fact that many news stories interest some folk but not others. This is okay on a show like Drive where most items last for no more than 3 minutes. However where a programme chooses to examine a story in more detail the odds are this will be a switch off to some and not others. This is pertinent to a show like Derbyshire's and also Richard Bacon. In both cases I tend when I am in to find out what is to be talked about and decide then whether to tune in elsewhere or not.

On the very odd occasion when I do listen to 5 live all day I have been surprised at how many topics are covered.

It will be interesting to see what difference the new controller makes.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have answered your points, but to repeat I think even you can admit a quote from AVK shows the BBC / 5 live pay for Nolan to be flown in from Belfast to present his show:

5. Why do you fly Stephen Nolan to Manchester to present his show when he could stay in Belfast and present down the line? How much does it cost to transport him and put him up in Manchester?

Let me say firstly that we always try to achieve the highest quality programme at the best value for money. To produce a live, all-speech three hour radio programme involves far more people than just the presenter. Stephen Nolan's production team are all based in Manchester and are part of a seven day a week operation there which is more efficient to organise than a number of small, individual production teams in different parts of the country. Of course there is a cost involving in bringing Stephen to Manchester and we have tried presenting the programme from Belfast on occasions. But editorially there is a danger of leaving a presenter isolated especially in the event of breaking news so on those occasions we have found it necessary to send a member of the production team to Belfast to make this work smoothly, therefore not making any saving. Of course many media presenters have regularly travelled to London to present programmes over the years, incurring costs as they do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/201...answered.shtml

Sounds like refusing to discuss with lordloz to me?

So can you explain why the reasons given for Nolan needing to be in Salford do not apply to Derbyshire?

Why should other staff / presenters be forced to relocate, commute or quit but not Derbyshire?

How to justify the massive expense of the move to Salford when a main programme in the weekday schedule is presented from Salford less than a quarter of the time?

"..production team are all based in Manchester and are part of a seven day a week operation there which is more efficient to organise than a number of small, individual production teams in different parts of the country" and “...editorially there is a danger of leaving a presenter isolated especially in the event of breaking news” – so yes it is related to output isn’t it?

Ok maybe you have commented on a couple of bits of content but 99.9% of your posts are simply attacking other posters

Thank you Jasmine - people have indeed got a gripe with VD but while we object to her location & have every right to as you say it's valid -
    it hasn't just been a stick to beat her with- the content has
    frequently been discussed & criticised at length too her location is one pillar & as AVK said it helps having the presenter in Manchester to deal with rolling news.......yet while others had to go or leave shows vd gets special dispensation.....
    if she can manage to get to eastleigh she can get to Salford if that's her job...plenty of other people had to relocate

& I don't know what more evidence you need than Jasmine has repeated above from AVK that the BBC pays for Nolan to fly over - Its clear as day.......
    & if people don't like a presenters manner or style what else will they say but make remarks about them that seem personal......

On other matters -bump club awful.....as I said I'd have switched it off if I was a new parent as well it's not something I'd listen to being blokey? Maybe ? So what?

And can I just say a big thank you to ALL posters.....we've reached the half century- 50 pages so much appreciated :)

Looking forward to F1 this weekend -can't listen to radio though as can't abide James Allen but do like jennie & holly & Allan Mcnish on there.....Will listen to the preview show though
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,716
    Forum Member
    I used to listen to 5-live a lot , but as pointed out, if you don't like it then switch off
    So I did
    I now mostly listen to R4 and R2 and also the local station (radio Jackie)
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of Fogherty being out in Popeland? It could take those idiots weeks to elect another idiot. Is she going to stay out there for weeks? It's not as if the BBC are short of Pope watchers is it?

Well you can take this gripe off your list now anyway!
This discussion has been closed.