Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully tomorrow Campbell will actually turn up at the same time as his co-presenter, and this ridiculous staggered start can be shelved for two days. That means he'll finish at 9am and won't have any involvement with the golf. No point in having someone who's got no interest at all in the sport - his most cherished memory from the Ryder Cup of 2010 not being the magnificent competition but his interview with a p*ssed woman.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Hopefully tomorrow Campbell will actually turn up at the same time as his co-presenter, and this ridiculous staggered start can be shelved for two days. That means he'll finish at 9am and won't have any involvement with the golf. No point in having someone who's got no interest at all in the sport - his most cherished memory from the Ryder Cup of 2010 not being the magnificent competition but his interview with a p*ssed woman.

I remember him as well after England won the 2003 Rugby World Cup, the man had no real interest in it and had to try to pretend he was.

Did you hear him have a dig at Chris Hoy as well the other day? He was asking Hoy if he still felt "British". Hoy the gentleman as ever dodged the question but what is it with Campbell? The man is just poison.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it up BBC, we know you have an anti English agenda.
    I remember him as well after England won the 2003 Rugby World Cup, the man had no real interest in it and had to try to pretend he was.

Did you hear him have a dig at Chris Hoy as well the other day? He was asking Hoy if he still felt "British". Hoy the gentleman as ever dodged the question but what is it with Campbell? The man is just poison.

Rodney you plonker.:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rodney you plonker.:rolleyes::D

The BBC's endless banging on about Broad not walking is clearly putting pressure on England players to walk in the next test.

The BBC should be reporting the news, NOT making comment or setting opinion or influencing sportsmen.

If the BBC were having a go at the Aussie's I might be more understanding, but they're not.

Radio 5 is a turd bucket these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My knowledge of cricket is about the same as my interest so I have no idea what "walking" is but to call the BBC "Anti English" and a presenter "poison" is taking it a bit far don't you think?
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member

He is presenting Breakfast from the Open tomorrow and said golf was the greatest game on earth the other morning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    He is presenting Breakfast from the Open tomorrow and said golf was the greatest game on earth the other morning!

Let me guess - he'll be there just to chisel away at Muirfield's male-only policy.

I wonder if Derbyshire was in the running for the R4 Today job that's gone to Mishal Husain. Doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My knowledge of cricket is about the same as my interest so I have no idea what "walking" is but to call the BBC "Anti English" and a presenter "poison" is taking it a bit far don't you think?

Well as I pointed out if the BBC were having a go at the Aussies for not walking as well, I'd say fair enough, but they're not. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as I pointed out if the BBC were having a go at the Aussies for not walking as well, I'd say fair enough, but they're not. That's my opinion.
    And it's total nonsense. Various newspapers and Sky also discussed it at length. You've made it welll known for years that you hate the BBC with a vengeance. It seems to be a pathological obsession in your case, the way you keep torturing yourself by listening and then fabricating what you've heard. Give it a rest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/is-stuart-broad-a-cheat-id-rather-englands-cricket-team-were-ruthless-winners-than-priggish-losers-8709320.html
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,060
    Forum Member
    Most of the pundits I've heard don't really care about what Broad did - he has got more stick in the papers.

Most have said the Aussies would have not walked either.

Ironically football reporters like Martin Samuel and Oliver Holt have given Broad massive stick in the written press - the latter compared it to Lance Armstrong taking drugs to win 7 Tour of France which means poor Chris Froome won't get the credit he deserves.

Its only Angew who has gone on about how unsporting it was - ok he is the main correspondent on the BBC for cricket.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Most of the pundits I've heard don't really care about what Broad did - he has got more stick in the papers.

Most have said the Aussies would have not walked either.

Ironically football reporters like Martin Samuel and Oliver Holt have given Broad massive stick in the written press - the latter compared it to Lance Armstrong taking drugs to win 7 Tour of France which means poor Chris Froome won't get the credit he deserves.

Its only Angew who has gone on about how unsporting it was - ok he is the main correspondent on the BBC for cricket.

Who cares what Bluto and Alice think about anything ?
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    The Royal Birth is expected sometime this week. Just imagine, wall to wall Fogarty sitting outside a hospital watching for blue or pink smoke for days on end.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Royal Birth is expected sometime this week. Just imagine, wall to wall Fogarty sitting outside a hospital watching for blue or pink smoke for days on end.

Christ no......the turgid horror.....least I'll be at work hopefully :p
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it drops in the next 4 days it will have to fit in around the Open and the Lords test.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would haveguessed it ? Campbell's first sentence has an emphasis on the words 'male members' How we laughed!
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot how much I don't enjoy listening to Campbell . Hopefully he finishes his 'input' at 10.00 am as I enjoy the rest of the coverage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it drops in the next 4 days it will have to fit in around the Open and the Lords test.

More like the other way round. 5 live will feel it necessary to canvas the opinion of every Tom, Dick and Harry on the royal baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More like the other way round. 5 live will feel it necessary to canvas the opinion of every Tom, Dick and Harry on the royal baby.

Yes and no doubt it will give Rachel Burden even more of an excuse to bore the entire nation about her kids.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Great to have John Inverdale on for the Open, I see Maria Miller the Culture Secretary has seen an opportunity for a bit more BBC bashing two weeks after the event, BBC must take action over sexist sports coverage, says Maria Miller. Culture secretary criticises John Inverdale's Marion Bartoli gaffe

As several of the commentators below the article says perhaps Miller would have more credibility if she had taken issue with some of the utterances of the PM such as "Calm down, dear", "I know the honorable lady is extremely frustrated" etc.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    As I often say, there's nothing wrong with the Daily Mail. There's everything wrong with people who take it too seriously, and unfortunately quite a few people in this country too.

Or as someone on Twitter put it: "Page 1 - War on BBC sexism. Page 15 - New Today programme presenter described as dishy Mishy."

Inverdale made a mistake but it doesn't merit that kind of coverage. I suspect the Mail is continually looking for a new scalp on the scale of Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross. The only reason they had to go was that their actions were pretty much universally seen as wrong and that, as it was a recorded show, the BBC could easily have removed the content before broadcast.

Whereas some people will see Inverdale's comments as misguided, a failed attempt at humour or even containing some truth, even if they were put really, really badly and offensively. He didn't phone an elderly person and say he'd f***ed their granddaughter on a recorded radio show. He made an unfortunate comment while broadcasting live. You can't take all risk out of live broadcasting, otherwise things are going to be really dull.

As for Maria Miller - a tedious politician trying to make herself relevant by getting newspaper coverage. Ten a penny. No wonder the public have no time for politicians these days.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As several of the commentators below the article says perhaps Miller would have more credibility if she had taken issue with some of the utterances of the PM such as "Calm down, dear", "I know the honorable lady is extremely frustrated" etc.

Regardless of what the Daily Mail says I think Jonathan Wall has made a mistake with this one. Inverdale shouldn't have been back on-air the next day, regardless of how good a broadcaster he is.

Andy Gray was sacked from Sky for comments which were made in a private chat and not intended for broadcast, Inverdale makes offensive remarks live on-air and receives no punishment whatsoever. That sends out the wrong message. I think a suspension from BBC radio for a limited period would have been appropriate in this case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 positive, sensible posts in a row on this thread, how unusual. (2670 and 2671)

The Inverdale thing is utter nonsense, granted if he had time to think about it he would not have said it but hey, everyone slips up in a live broadcast once in a while. The critics need to wind their necks in and get on with things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Andy Gray was sacked from Sky for comments which were made in a private chat and not intended for broadcast, Inverdale makes offensive remarks live on-air and receives no punishment whatsoever. That sends out the wrong message.

The Andy Gray comments compromised his ability to fairly do his job. By exposing a bias against female lineswomen, it raised questions over whether he would be fair in his analysis in any game where a woman was running the line.

On its own that wouldn't have been a killer, but it does seem Keys and Gray really p-eed someone off at Sky because we then had the release of a ton of footage showing various incidents in which it was claimed the two of them behaved in a sexist manner.

That's slightly different to Inverdale making one off-the-cuff comment where he was making an attempt at analysis. I took it to mean that she wasn't ever going to be a model, and women's tennis players make a fortune doing that, and that she was slightly bigger so therefore not as fast getting around the court, so therefore would have to scrap in much the same way as a slightly bigger football player would have to compensate for his weight.

Unfortunately, there is no good way of putting that (even my attempt is a mess) so it would have been way better leaving it alone, never mind suggest her dad said to her that she was 'never going to be a looker'.

I still don't see it as a sacking offence, though the apology should have been far more straightforward and less reserved. It could still come back to bite him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2 positive, sensible posts in a row on this thread, how unusual. (2670 and 2671)

The Inverdale thing is utter nonsense, granted if he had time to think about it he would not have said it but hey, everyone slips up in a live broadcast once in a while. The critics need to wind their necks in and get on with things.

The more the Daily Mail bashes the BBC the more people back the corporation. Because they know what the alternative would be if the Daily Mail ran things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Andy Gray was sacked from Sky for comments which were made in a private chat and not intended for broadcast, Inverdale makes offensive remarks live on-air and receives no punishment whatsoever. That sends out the wrong message. A suspension from BBC radio would have been appropriate in this case.

How do you know no action has been taken? Should all internal disciplinary matters be made public? As a self-employed contractor the mistake may well affect his future work with the increasingly risk averse BBC.

It seems ridiculous for people to be calling for the sacking of a great broadcaster for a misguided / clumsy remark on live radio? Or would a public flogging be enough for them live on the Daily Mail website?
This discussion has been closed.