Options

The Jonathan Ross Show (Series 5)

Comments

• Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,963
    Forum Member
    50th :eek: I don't think any of them are even in their 40s yet, I think you mean 20th Anniversary :)

oops. i wondered why i was shocked. i thought i heard 50 :o and im going to the tour :eek: #badfan no idea what happened there. cant edit it :(
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it tonight. I knew Celine could be a bit bonkers, so wasn't surprised by that. When she was younger she was very disciplined for her singing, but after having kids she decided she needed to loosen up a bit, and not gear her whole life around hitting perfect notes.

I've known for a while that Murray is very interesting and witty, but he's a bit shy and not a natural show-off like most people in showbiz, so it needs someone to ask the right questions. I thought it was a really good segment, and because Jonathan is a big fan of tennis and of Andy's, you could tell he was genuinely interested and not going through the motions like he does with some guests.

I was surprised with BARROWMAN and Johnny Vegas too. I used to love Barrowman, but went off him because he was a bit over-exposed and I started to find him too much. Thankfully, absence did seem to make the heart grow fonder and he wasn't too over the top. Similarly, the last time I saw Vegas interviewed, he wasn't saying anything interesting, just a bit of incoherent rambling and silliness. It was good to get a proper conversation, and his he/she karaoke was brilliant, especially with the cutaways to Celine in the green room. :D

I was also pleasantly surprised by Boyzone. I was expecting the song to be a bit rubbish, but it was quite good and sounds like they'd put a bit of effort into it.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    I met him twice, briefly, towards the end of my time as a tennis coach (finished in 2007).

He WAS very nice back then too, if a bit shy, that's all ( he was great coaching small kids and very few can create rapport like he did - understated, simple and gentle).

As his huge talent has placed him in the public eye, he has been exposed to masses of opinions about him and as I've watched, listened and read all of this, whenever he has spoken, I've always thought him to be an intelligent, thoughtful and brutally honest, even in the ridiculous post match interviews that the players are required to give with people like Gary Richardson..

While he has changed, of course, over the last few years since he hit the headlines (he has matured considerably even in the last 18 months since losing Wimbledon 2012), I think it's as much a case of the public changing their perceptions of him and as it is him changing who he is to fit others' perceptions of what they want him to be.

Yes, I am sure he was. There was this big misconception about him being boorish and anti English. I remember Tim Henman saying that whole thing about the football was spoken in jest anyway and as he was there when the conversation took place, he should know.
    I think viewers saw him in a whole different light when he lost Wimbledon last year and ended up in tears. Being a long time Tim Henman fan and not liking Andy too much I certainly fell into that category.
    I do agree he has matured enormously over the past couple of years on court helped in part by another favourite of mine, Ivan Lendl....
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch tonight but did anyone else watch last week when JR had Jonathan Rhys Meyers on? He was all over the place, talking really quickly and twitching constantly, it was awkward to watch. I know he's had alcohol problems in the past but he really did seem like he was on something and all JR kept saying was how well and healthy he looked. :confused:
    He explained it himself as to do with being Irish and it being a trait of the nation.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Yes, I am sure he was. There was this big misconception about him being boorish and anti English. I remember Tim Henman saying that whole thing about the football was spoken in jest anyway and as he was there when the conversation took place, he should know.
    I think viewers saw him in a whole different light when he lost Wimbledon last year and ended up in tears. Being a long time Tim Henman fan and not liking Andy too much I certainly fell into that category.
    I do agree he has matured enormously over the past couple of years on court helped in part by another favourite of mine, Ivan Lendl....

Yes, Chrissie.

As far as the tears were concerned, there were those who were suggesting that he needed to do stuff like that to endear people to him. I was never sure about that as these guys are so focused in their bubble that I'm really not sure how much their public image helps them to win points, games, sets or matches.

I imagine it's a very personal thing; Connors and Mac, if anything used a lot of negativity against them as a motivational tool to pump themselves up (especially Jimbo).

If anything, the tears were a bit out of context as he had never shown that side of himself before. I know that's an obvious thing to say but I wondered what was going on???

Only he knows why he cried (as opposed to keeping control, despite his disappointment) and also only he will know how that match / aftermath affected him.

What seems to be the case is that there was a coming together of a reaction to that match, the hiring of Lendl and the Olympics and all those things added to his pretty solid regime / team produced the success in London, NYC and ultimately, Wimbledon.

Maybe, he began to see the logic of listening to Lendl especially bearing in mind that Ivan had been through a number of GS losses and was at the same age as Murray (24) when he won his first Slam?
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but I just cannot watch this show anymore - JR's FAWNING all over the guests is really off putting and annoying. Spends every interview blowing smoke up their arses as if any of them need an ego boost.

Love Andy Murray and good not being like people who say he's miserable who couldn't be more clueless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I don't know why but I just cannot watch this show anymore - JR's FAWNING all over the guests is really off putting and annoying. Spends every interview blowing smoke up their arses as if any of them need an ego boost.

I disagree. I find Ross talks to them like pals, whereas I reckon Graham Norton seems to act like the ultimate fanboy of whatever A-lister he has on. He just seems to let them talk without conversing and you start to forget he's there. I loved him when he was on Channel 4 but he's seems so watered down on the BBC.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Yes, Chrissie.

As far as the tears were concerned, there were those who were suggesting that he needed to do stuff like that to endear people to him. I was never sure about that as these guys are so focused in their bubble that I'm really not sure how much their public image helps them to win points, games, sets or matches.

I imagine it's a very personal thing; Connors and Mac, if anything used a lot of negativity against them as a motivational tool to pump themselves up (especially Jimbo).

If anything, the tears were a bit out of context as he had never shown that side of himself before. I know that's an obvious thing to say but I wondered what was going on???

Only he knows why he cried (as opposed to keeping control, despite his disappointment) and also only he will know how that match / aftermath affected h
    ?

IHe was under such pressure that Wimbledon and I think those tears were genuine, he really tried but just could not talk properly, even I was choked watching him and I was not a fan at that time,

He also got quite emotional at the end of that fab charity match at Queens with Ivan, Tim and Thomas Berdych and various celebrity guests including JR.
    He dedicated it to his friend and old doubles partner Ross Hutchins, who was fighting cancer and he could hardly get the words out without choking up...
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    IHe was under such pressure that Wimbledon and I think those tears were genuine, he really tried but just could not talk properly, even I was choked watching him and I was not a fan at that time,

He also got quite emotional at the end of that fab charity match at Queens with Ivan, Tim and Thomas Berdych and various celebrity guests including JR.
    He dedicated it to his friend and old doubles partner Ross Hutchins, who was fighting cancer and he could hardly get the words out without choking up...

I've no doubt they were genuine on both occasions.

While a coach, I knew and sat on an LTA committee with Ross' dad, Paul and I met Ross a few times to say hello.

A nice bloke (as is Paul) and I'm really glad he appears to be getting better.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    I disagree. I find Ross talks to them like pals, whereas I reckon Graham Norton seems to act like the ultimate fanboy of whatever A-lister he has on. He just seems to let them talk without conversing and you start to forget he's there. I loved him when he was on Channel 4 but he's seems so watered down on the BBC.

He may try to make it appear like they are "pals" but it patently doesn't work in my opinion.....it comes across as fawning UNLESS they genuinely are a pal like Murray or Gervais.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    I disagree. I find Ross talks to them like pals, whereas I reckon Graham Norton seems to act like the ultimate fanboy of whatever A-lister he has on.
    I agree. This series has been pretty bad for that by Norton with some of the guests he's had on.

In fact although I think Carr is the worse show of the three main chat shows I do sometimes like his bitchy, snidey remarks style. Even if it is done in a jokey self depricating way it is good that he doesn't just kiss the arse of every guest.

They're all as bad an one another to some extent though.
    The same was mentioned about Jools Holland interviewing bands & guests.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Norton having a week off due to Children In Need has benefited Ross massively.

For the coming Saturday's show, it's:

Oprah Winfrey, Forest Whitaker, One Direction, Sarah Millican and Eminem.

I sort of understand why Norton's show requires a comedian but in an episode with one of the most successful boy bands ever, probably the most successful rapper ever and definitely the most successful TV personality ever, why oh why do we have to have Sarah Millican too?

As you can tell, I'm anticipating she'll be really out of place.
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norton having a week off due to Children In Need has benefited Ross massively.

For the coming Saturday's show, it's:

Oprah Winfrey, Forest Whitaker, One Direction, Sarah Millican and Eminem.

I sort of understand why Norton's show requires a comedian but in an episode with one of the most successful boy bands ever, probably the most successful rapper ever and definitely the most successful TV personality ever, why oh why do we have to have Sarah Millican too?

As you can tell, I'm anticipating she'll be really out of place.

I hope he interviews Eminem, doubt it though :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I hope he interviews Eminem, doubt it though :cry:

He is and performing

Em likes Johnathan Ross. His been on before. One time after they filmed the show in 2009 they went back to Johnathan Ross house to look at comics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1180800/Bizarre-bonding-session-Eminem-Jonathan-Ross-buddy-comic-books.html
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These One Direction lads have no personality whatsoever :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son has been mistaken for Zayn! (admittedly by a 7 year old!)
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dark lad is really pretty, dumb as a box of hair though.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    These One Direction lads have no personality whatsoever :confused:

Sums the Jonathon Ross show up though doesn't it.
    Surely it's days are numbered?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Harry drunk?
    He slurs a bit.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    My son has been mistaken for Zayn! (admittedly by a 7 year old!)

Pic please! :eek::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Pic please! :eek::o

lol I can't post my son's picture here! (it was before the beard btw)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sums the Jonathon Ross show up though doesn't it.
    Surely it's days are numbered?

The last good one I saw was Yoko Ono, but even then I had to switch off when she wrapped him in bandages :eek:
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross is quite unwatchable, so I don't watch him anymore.

Awful television, but very typical ITV dross.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this going to be like The One Show.. Oh Oprah Oprah you're so amazing and wonderful. . Especially how you claim your country is racist. . The same country that has allowed you to be the richest woman in earth.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    One direction...one personality between them. I thought these guys were supposed to have the X factor