Radio1 Breakfast Show

2»

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Noel Edmonds, Chris Moyles, Mike Read, Bruno and Liz or Simon Mayo :D
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I'm 25. I absolutely loved the Chris Moyles show. The whole team dynamic was brilliant.

I don't mind Nick. I'm glad he uses the team more now. He didn't at the beginning.

Pretty much how I feel. I can tolerate it as my alarm clock noise - I quite like the team dynamic. Zoo format radio for Breakfast is just much more interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a joke dont understand how anyone could listen to the bumbling idiot at any time of the day!
  • dgi_mdgi_m Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    People didn't listen to Moyles for the music, they listened despite the music.

They were quite happy to take the piss out of a lot a songs they were forced to play, but there was always the chance that the audience could hear something they liked in between bits.

These days everything just seems so forced - you HAVE to like this because it's so cool and indie to like this, and is what everyone wants you to listen to.

In the 3 hours of Shaun Keaveny's show this morning he played 3 Jake Bugg songs. I thought 6Music was supposed to be about variety? Doesn't he, his music and his style seem so forced? His record company certainly seem keen to milk him as long as possible, don't they.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to Keaveny and I would say his style isn't forced at all and he is so laid back he doesn't sound arsed most of the time! As for jake Bugg the show was about Pete Townsend and jake Bugg exclusives yesterday hence why they played 3 tracks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dgi_m wrote: »

In the 3 hours of Shaun Keaveny's show this morning he played 3 Jake Bugg songs. I thought 6Music was supposed to be about variety? Doesn't he, his music and his style seem so forced? His record company certainly seem keen to milk him as long as possible, don't they.

This was part of Album of the Day Plus, something they probably only do once a month, where all the tracks from what is (and lets be fair to Jake Bugg, who I agree, I'm not a fan of his music) a big album get played during the day
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Switched to radio 2 and chris evans breakfast show, much funnier and light hearted, when chris moyles left, have not looked back since! Cannot stand Grimmy, he is grim! I cannot put my finger on it why I cannot stand him.

+1 here. Radio 1 is no longer stored or allowed in the car, thank god i have digital radio now as there much more choice.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His back announcing of songs is very uncool. "That was the sound of... insert band/artists name"

Also seems some of the guests like Bastille this morning are putting on a fake laugh to grimmys poor jokes.

He's very bland was better at night when he could focus on the music
  • podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    As someone in their early twenties, just out of Uni, it was a bit of a embarrassment to say you listened to Chris Moyles. The same kind of flack you got for saying that doesn't exist when you say you listen to Grimmy. That's probably wanted by management. Chris wasn't cool. Radio 1 want to be perceived as cool, young, aspirational. Grimshaw is the man for that. At least he isn't vanilla...like Greg James. Who would have got the show under Parfitt.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the fact Grimsaw is everywhere, Anyone with sense hates him and his rubbish TV and Radio shows.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    podlover98 wrote: »
    As someone in their early twenties, just out of Uni, it was a bit of a embarrassment to say you listened to Chris Moyles. The same kind of flack you got for saying that doesn't exist when you say you listen to Grimmy. That's probably wanted by management. Chris wasn't cool. Radio 1 want to be perceived as cool, young, aspirational. Grimshaw is the man for that. At least he isn't vanilla...like Greg James. Who would have got the show under Parfitt.
    To me Grimy IS vanilla. He's so bloody desperate to be cool & hang around with famous people its a massive CRINGE.
    Ontop of that his social climbing makes his life unrelatable to his audience.
    Im not in my early 20's but I just don't see the appeal.
  • danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    'People like Rizzle Kicks' do make good music. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but then again older generations criticised The Beatles when they came onto the scene in exactly the same way.

On the same note, Radio 1 was told by the BBC Trust that it needed to lower its demographic. I still maintain that the BBC has no need to work on age based demographics but that's another argument!

End of the day, it's fairly difficult to put out content that will appeal to someone who's 15 and someone who's 50, just because they both like new music.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm 28, absolutely adored Moyles and I actually really enjoy listening to Grimmy. I'll put it out there - I much prefer it when he talks more and plays less music and I agree with the poster who said its better now that he has a team interacting with him on-air too.

Definitely prefer him to the other choice of Greg James. It would be an endless stream of Mumford and Coldplay. Zzzz!
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,378
    Forum Member
    podlover98 wrote: »

Presenters shouldn't be picked due to being 'cool', they should be selected on merit based on them producing great radio for their target audience.

Is this the whole problem with the show it maybe cool having Naomi Campbell (is she really well known by teens though?) on discussing how she'll meet up with Grimmy in LA but it makes very poor radio.

The current controller is all about trying to make the station cool not to sound good, does he really understand radio?

No one ever thought Moyles was cool but that didn't stop him making great radio and being popular.

Since when did cool = popular. If you look round any school/uni, the cool set are actually in the minority, Radio 1 should be catering for the majority of normal youngsters not the few hip ones who think they will spend their lives in a band or on the catwalk.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    The current controller is all about trying to make the station cool not to sound good, does he really understand radio?

You asking that question just shows that you don't understand radio. Ben Cooper has worked in radio for years whether it be as a producer or in a management role. He was part of the Moyles team back in the nineties and has worked his way through the management ranks at Radio 1 since mid 2000s.

He has been given a brief by the BBC Trust to make the station appeal to a younger audience, which he seems to be doing, as the majority of comments on here suggest that older listeners started to drift off when Moyles left. I was one of them, but I'm well outside the target that has been given to Cooper to attract, so I should have stopped listening to it, because the content isn't aimed at me anymore.

The BBC has to try and do things that aren't available in the commercial sector otherwise they are bitching about the BBC nicking their audiences. I don't agree that BBC station should be aimed at certain age groups, but it's what is happening so we just have to get used to it. I would rather, in fact I do, listen to BBC Radio than the most of the rubbish on commerical radio. Nowhere on commercial radio can you hear the wide spectrum of music that Radio 2 and Radio 6 Music broadcast.