Options

Cameron wants energy suppliers to hold prices until after next election

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By most people am I right in presuming you're saying it isn't only Labour supporters who would support a freeze in energy bills ?

If I am then does that mean there is also a 'lack of basic knowledge of how the energy market works' among Tory supporters as well ?

It is warming to think that DanClegg believes that the majority of people in Britain are likely to vote Labour at the next election, though.
  • Options
    DanCleggDanClegg Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is warming to think that DanClegg believes that the majority of people in Britain is likely to vote Labour at the next election, though.

How does that make sense? Just because one policy has support, it doesn't mean automatic victory for the party. What a strange idea. As a natural Tory supporter, do you think that bars me automatically from agreeing with any Labour policies?
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanClegg wrote: »
    Yes, I imagine there's ignorance on all sides. How else would UKIP gain a footing. I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

And no, I wasn't saying anything about 'Labour supporters' - must you be so painfully partisan all the time?

But I am not partisan so your insistence that I am would be quite amusing if it wasn't so sad.

I'd try a new record if were you ;)

As it is you just take the emphasis off the debate with your petty point scoring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I am not partisan so your insistence that I am would be quite amusing if it wasn't so sad.

I'd try a new record if were you ;)

As it is you just take the emphasis off the debate with your petty point scoring.

Oh gummy, I do wish you would stop pretending otherwise.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh gummy, I do wish you would stop pretending otherwise.
    David Tee wrote: »

If you think I am partisan then you obviously don't know the meaning of the word partisan. I suggest you look the word up.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think I am partisan then you obviously don't know the meaning of the word partisan. I suggest you look the word up.:)

Gummy, we know what it means:
    a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person

I don't know why you're so bothered about the tag so much. Own it. I'm not fussed about owning up to generally being a Tory voter. You're a Labour voter. It's painfully obvious on this board.

Your continual denial of it just makes you look like the Sally Bercow of the Politics forum...

"I don't vote Labour" *innocentface*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gummy, we know what it means:

I don't know why you're so bothered about the tag so much. Own it. I'm not fussed about owning up to generally being a Tory voter. You're a Labour voter. It's painfully obvious on this board.

Your continual denial of it just makes you look like the Sally Bercow of the Politics forum...

"I don't vote Labour" *innocentface*

You may think you are being clever but you know what I really don't appreciate being called a liar, especially by some faceless person on a forum. So I won't stoop to your level, instead I think it's better to ignore both your comment and your ignorance ;)
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    The stupid Tories are missing a golden opportunity to grab much needed electoral support. It would be a great move to freeze energy prices now and maybe even start privatising the energy network.

But unfortunately for the Tories they are not that bright or clever.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never cease to be amazed that given the number of polls that Labour overwhelmingly win on this forum that there are so few Labour supporters here.

Its fr*gging bizarre :D:D:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    I never cease to be amazed that given the number of polls that Labour overwhelmingly win on this forum that there are so few Labour supporters here.

I know. Even the ones that do support Labour have trouble actually admitting it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that is aimed at me then show me were I have ever denied voting Labour.

just as a point of view don't you think it is bizzare that Tory voters are going off the subject of the thread ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. Even the ones that do support Labour have trouble actually admitting it ;)

:D:D;)
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stupid Tories are missing a golden opportunity to grab much needed electoral support. It would be a great move to freeze energy prices now and maybe even start privatising the energy network.

But unfortunately for the Tories they are not that bright or clever.

I presume you mean nationalise the network. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that for the Tories to intervene like this, is to admit to the flaws of their 'privatise everything' ethos. The energy firms, like all the other utilities and public services, were sold off, promising that we'd all be able to own a stake in them, when, as taxpayers, we already did. Now they are in the hands of a select few, who hold the rest to us to ransom. We even have to foot the bill for re-investment in their companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another report of what the Government intends to do about energy bills.
    Ministers are to fund a £300m plan for a £12 rebate on every domestic electricity bill in the country as part of a Government effort to combat a round of inflation-busting energy price hikes.

Sky News has learnt that the Government is finalising plans this weekend for a series of measures ahead of next week’s autumn statement by the Chancellor, George Osborne.

http://news.sky.com/story/1175864/ministers-to-fund-300m-energy-bill-rebates
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    I think that for the Tories to intervene like this, is to admit to the flaws of their 'privatise everything' ethos. The energy firms, like all the other utilities and public services, were sold off, promising that we'd all be able to own a stake in them, when, as taxpayers, we already did. Now they are in the hands of a select few, who hold the rest to us to ransom. We even have to foot the bill for re-investment in their companies.

Is it anything to do with privatisation though? - the Tory plans that I have seen are simply removing the added tax burden that has been placed on the bills over the years for Climate Change measures. Unless you are claiming that Nationalised utilities wouldn't have had the extra taxes placed on them then the type of ownership is irrelevant.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron having grown weary of doing U-turns on his own policies has now started doing U-turns on Labour policy instead, a change is as good as a rest as they say.
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another report of what the Government intends to do about energy bills.

http://news.sky.com/story/1175864/ministers-to-fund-300m-energy-bill-rebates

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Thats kinda like indirectly subsidising energy companies profits - instead of the spanking they deserve.

Why not drop the hated bedroom tax - would have a greater impact to the people that need it.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »

And this is where my irony meter exploded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it anything to do with privatisation though? - the Tory plans that I have seen are simply removing the added tax burden that has been placed on the bills over the years for Climate Change measures. Unless you are claiming that Nationalised utilities wouldn't have had the extra taxes placed on them then the type of ownership is irrelevant.

Why would the government tax a nationalised utility? You'd be taxing yourself. Those green taxes were nothing to do with the environment. Just successive governments skimming off the top, whilst trying to hide behind a supposedly noble cause. A Stealth windfall tax. The badly run utilities were supposedly sold off to remove the burden on the taxpayer. Why? Why not sack the incompetent people running them, and run them efficiently and properly?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's looks like Ed flexed his muscles and Cameron and co jumped.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    And this is where my irony meter exploded.

I can't believe for a moment you own one :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Why would the government tax a nationalised utility? You'd be taxing yourself. Those green taxes were nothing to do with the environment. Just successive governments skimming off the top, whilst trying to hide behind a supposedly noble cause. A Stealth windfall tax. The badly run utilities were supposedly sold off to remove the burden on the taxpayer. Why? Why not sack the incompetent people running them, and run them efficiently and properly?

Sorry, you've lost me now. The whole point behind 'Green Taxes' is to drive up the cost so as to make people use less - if you believe in Green taxation surely it is irrelevant what ownership structure you have in place.

People are not magically going to use less electricity if you suddenly bring back the London Electricity Board.