Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    she looked like she walked in with a basketful. so that would be enough for about a twentieth of that jam :D

as for the strawberry retailer saying they only sold in quantities of 500 (and as if anyway) surely if you'd explained to the manager they were for a dying woman who had days to live, even the most hard nosed business person would let you buy a couple? or even give you some for nowt!

You do wonder who signs these scripts off:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the strawberries

When Tyrone offered to go with Kirk to get them, "because....it's for Haley" Just ridiculous over the top pathos.

And as another poster said - a thousand £ worth of strawberries and she ended up eating half of one. OTT rubbish.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I bet we get some kind of mushy scene with Roy giving people jars of 'Hayley's Jam' at the funeral.

In old 18th century naval days, they would inter a dead captain in a keg of wine until he returned to shore for burial. Maybe they'll inter Hayley in a giant jam jar until her funeral?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Is there a sl with audries son coming up? I thought it was rather forced when she was talking to liz, peter and carla about deirdres canada photos so she just slipped into the conversation that her eldest son lives in canada.

It added nothing to the conversation and there was no follow up question or any more info. It just seemed a really unusual way of informing the viewers that she has a son who lives in canada, who i dont recall being mentioned in the last 2-3 years that ive been a corrie viewer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I went out for a meal for my birthday and everyone kept getting up and walking around the restaraunt, answering their phones, standing at the bar - it would do my head in. Hardly anyone was sat at the table during Todds 'meal'.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I went out for a meal for my birthday and everyone kept getting up and walking around the restaraunt, answering their phones, standing at the bar - it would do my head in. Hardly anyone was sat at the table during Todds 'meal'.

Nearly as bad as when Gail comes along in her tabard and decides to give the floor a good mopping while the place is full,of customers.
  • Options
    Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla licking the spoon during the jam making session...
    Dirty Bint...:)

I'll have to go and watch it again just to be sure it was really dirty... ;-)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Tyrone said that they had 500 punnets of strawberries.
    If they were top quality like Tesco Finest they retail at £3.00 for a 227g punnet.
    So, even at wholesale they must have cost at least £1000 (and that's giving a 50% markup :o)
    Carla said that she had paid for them

And, where did they get 125kg of sugar and 250 jam jars at such short notice??
    The markup would have been far more than 50%. Markup on perishable products such as fruit is at least 75%, often much more. So strawberries being sold for say £2.00 a punnet in a store would cost around £1.15 or even less from the wholesaler depending on the number of punnets being bought. Buying direct from the importer is even cheaper.

You can bet Tesco pays about 50p a punnet for its Finest strawberries because of the huge amount they buy and they import themselves with no wholesaler involved.

Carla can afford to pay - at the moment; until the factory has no orders.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And after she walked in she then promptly started ordering people about. And as for those weird, supposedly comic scenes between Carla and Emily, I don't think I laughed once.

I didn't either.
    I hate the way the writers are making Carla out to be a bumbling idiot all of a sudden>:(
  • Options
    ChattinglilChattinglil Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I didn't either.
    I hate the way the writers are making Carla out to be a bumbling idiot all of a sudden>:(

I didn't see it like that. I saw it as evidence of Carla's total lack of domesticity and how desperate she is to join in and do something for Hayley - even though she's completely out of her comfort zone. It would have been a SOR if she'd turned out to be a WI Jam Making Queen! I did laugh - especially when she smashed the jars off camera - the only thing she was trusted with. :)
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,879
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I didn't either.

Me too! Especially as when Carla is in "comedy" mode ("comedy" used lightly!) she adopts that awful flat, nasal voice and her already unrealistic accent becomes more exaggerated. The scripts and storylines don't help but I think she's a terrible actress at the best of times.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too, one of my pet hates is people on the phone while in a social setting, especially while out for a meal.

Along with this one.
    Carla licking the spoon during the jam making session...
    Dirty Bint...:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Nothing constructive to add I'm afraid, but just wanted to say I've been a long time lurker, and I absolutely LOVE this thread :D
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyIvory wrote: »
    Nothing constructive to add I'm afraid, but just wanted to say I've been a long time lurker, and I absolutely LOVE this thread :D

You and me both! I only "de-lurked" a few weeks back, and haven't said a lot yet, but it's nice to know that I can if I want to! :D
  • Options
    auddemauddem Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    AKFE wrote: »
    Me too! Especially as when Carla is in "comedy" mode ("comedy" used lightly!) she adopts that awful flat, nasal voice and her already unrealistic accent becomes more exaggerated. The scripts and storylines don't help but I think she's a terrible actress at the best of times.

she seems to be using that nasal/common voice a lot lately its really annoying me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Carla drunk after drinking alcoholic strawberry cocktails?
  • Options
    MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Is there a sl with audries son coming up? I thought it was rather forced when she was talking to liz, peter and carla about deirdres canada photos so she just slipped into the conversation that her eldest son lives in canada.

It added nothing to the conversation and there was no follow up question or any more info. It just seemed a really unusual way of informing the viewers that she has a son who lives in canada, who i dont recall being mentioned in the last 2-3 years that ive been a corrie viewer.

Her ELDEST son? How many does she have? I thought she had just the one.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,879
    Forum Member
    auddem wrote: »
    she seems to be using that nasal/common voice a lot lately its really annoying me.

She is! They like to have her in jokey buzzer-voice mode when Peter's up to something (eg with Tina lately) as it's a soap cliche to have the unsuspecting partner really happy and jolly when they are unknowingly being wronged.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does Hayley manage to get down those stairs. She's meant to be in a lot of pain even with the pain relief I imagine it would still be painful.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    auddem wrote: »
    As I've said before at times she can lay the accent on thick. Like Daisy Duck. :p

Spotted the usual camera continuity error on last Friday's episode. Carla picks her glass of red wine in the bistro and drinks from it, different camera angle and it's on the table, another angle and she's drinking. :o
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spotted the usual camera continuity error on last Friday's episode. Carla picks her glass of red wine in the bistro and drinks from it, different camera angle and it's on the table, another angle and she's drinking. :o

I noticed in last night's that after Leanne left the Rovers you could still see her sat in the booth behind the Windass's. :D
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyIvory wrote: »
    You and me both! I only "de-lurked" a few weeks back, and haven't said a lot yet, but it's nice to know that I can if I want to! :D

Welcome :)
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I noticed in last night's that after Leanne left the Rovers you could still see her sat in the booth behind the Windass's. :D
    Yeah I noticed that when I watched this morning's repeat, she didn't appear to be moving her head at all though!
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We saw that too! (had to wind it back to double check! :D )

Didn't spot the Leanne one mind..... (will stick it back on now to have a look - love continuity errors!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've actually seen people who are supposed to be together both on their phones texting. Really irritates me! What happened to conversation.
This discussion has been closed.