Mega Lolz

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
Over the last week or so continuity announcers on E4 have used this phrase about upcoming tv shows. Every time I hear or read the phrase it reminds me of the lost prophets child abuse case and is the first result that comes up if you search it on Google. Why would they purposely use it knowing the controversy :confused:

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Presumably because they haven't picked up on its use in that case. I wasn't aware of the connection until I read your post and Googled it. In any case I don't think a pre existing phrase should suddenly be deemed out of bounds just because some sicko used it tbh.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was probably a phrase they used before.

Should we really stop using certain words because someone used them in a hideous context?
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Presumably because they haven't picked up on its use in that case. I wasn't aware of the connection until I read your post and Googled it. In any case I don't think a pre existing phrase should suddenly be deemed out of bounds just because some sicko used it tbh.

Same here, I haven't Googled it and the only reason I know it has any connection to that case is because the OP has said it has. Nor do I think it should be deemed out of bounds because some child abusing freak has used it in some way (I assume he has said it?).

ETA, just Googled it. Well that just makes him an even bigger **** as he clearly saw child abuse as funny.

I immediately associate it with Rude Tube style video malarky or online gaming sillyness and I assume E4 or whatever are doing just that.

That said, I haven't heard Mega Lolz used before, it's normally Epic Lolz isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Should we really stop using certain words because someone used them in a hideous context?

I can't bring myself to say "now then, now then" anymore :blush:
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I am the ripper' has been ruined for me :-(
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »

I haven't heard them use it before, however, this could be because I had no reason to notice it whereas now it stands out for that reason.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the last week or so continuity announcers on E4 have used this phrase about upcoming tv shows. Every time I hear or read the phrase it reminds me of the lost prophets child abuse case and is the first result that comes up if you search it on Google. Why would they purposely use it knowing the controversy :confused:

Better find out what other clothes he wore. Can't be too careful.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Who knows. Contact Channel 4 and make them aware of the issue. Then something might get done.
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    'I am the ripper' has been ruined for me :-(

:D lolz that are mega ;-)
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Who knows. Contact Channel 4 and make them aware of the issue. Then something might get done.

Can't be arsed, I'm not that bothered lol.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    The first thing I thought of was Ian Watkins when I read the thread title and that was without even opening it. So I get the op's point.
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    The first thing I thought of was Ian Watkins when I read the thread title and that was without even opening it. So I get the op's point.

Me too, the phrase is now clearly associated with a convicted peodophile for a lot of people.
    Forum Member
    Tiffani wrote: »
    Me too, the phrase is now clearly associated with a convicted peodophile for a lot of people.

Well the way to combat that is to continue to use it in other contexts rather than to leave it to remain associated with this scumbag. What if he'd quoted Shakespeare? Or the bible? Would we put them out of bounds as well? I don't think we should allow him any more impact than he has already had. He should just rot in jail forgotten and unmissed.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiffani wrote: »

It is for me as well.
    Of course E4 are free to use the phrase, but it might not be such a good idea as it has negative connotations for some people. Not really a great advertisment for their product.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Can't be arsed, I'm not that bothered lol.

Well, I was wondering how bothered you were, since you started the thread in the first place. As for the expression concerned, I haven't yet heard it used on E4 and I watch it a fair bit for the comedy shows.