Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Adam_Shaw wrote: »
    This is terrible with Steve Allen he has gone right down hill.

Firstly I don't think it's just him that's lazy but his producer as well. They have not even bothered to do a Twitter update or engage with the huge audience on Twitter, yet the voiceover after the news asks listeners to Tweet them. What is the producer actually doing while Steve is presenting? He/She clearly is not bothering with social media nor answer phones...So I guess the producer is just sat going through newspaper clippings

Steve is obsessed by two things on his show: Newspapers and Text Messages

He made some disgusting comment that the only thing people from Blackpool eat on Valentines Day is 'kebabs', does he not realise people from Blackpool who are listening are contributing to his wage.

Steve is getting all his words mixed up he sounds awful, he seems to have really problems adapting to change.

Finally since the new imaging and voiceover which sound very newsy, his show does't match what the imaging is trying portray, especially when Steve talks over the news bed about whats coming up.

I'm afraid ladies and gentleman if Steve even dares gets a poor showing from RAJAR radio listening figures he will be out the LBC doors forever.

Welcome to the horror that is the Steve Allen show. Apparently some think he's a talented broadcaster suffering from LBC's format, the time slot and lack of guests. Of course all of the other presenters get a choice in these matters.... Not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listened to a bit of SA this morning to see if becoming national had changed his show..... no such luck. He is out of his cozy cliquey depth and he knows it and it shows.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the 45 minutes i suffered until i flipped back to james max for the latest london travel news, steve also managed to say everyone in Glasgow was a liar.

He sounded so disjointed and lost. Normally he is lost in his own mind repeating stuff, but clearly having to think "don't say 97.3" is taking up all his thinking power and like an old pc he is slowing right down trying to run the new message through his mouth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, for the third day running, I'm bored with Steve and Radio Blackpool (he keeps mentioning the place), and I'm off to BBC4X again.

Dreadful, I'm afraid, ladies and gentlemen, dreadful.

Can you remember all the awful things he has said about Blackpool and the people there in the past? He's had to change his tune.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Lol. Ferrari. What the hell is going on. Think he didn't know mic was on
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Lol. Ferrari. What the hell is going on. Think he didn't know mic was on

Ooh - what happened?
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacqui Smith ????

....that particular BDSmithM would probably enjoy it too much.:)
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the 45 minutes i suffered until i flipped back to james max for the latest london travel news, steve also managed to say everyone in Glasgow was a liar.

He sounded so disjointed and lost. Normally he is lost in his own mind repeating stuff, but clearly having to think "don't say 97.3" is taking up all his thinking power and like an old pc he is slowing right down trying to run the new message through his mouth

Yet you still listened.:confused:

You enjoy - admit it :)

(won't tell anyone;-))
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadly i didnt enjoy it... but once the complaints started coming in i did listen to see how many he would deal with before he admitted he was a fool. he didnt, he kept blaming the producer and then went off on some utter rubbish about something else he hardly understands. it is very sad that a "national news" station employs a guy who reads something effectively for the first time out of a lightweight paper and then rants on about it as if he knows all about the subject. car crash radio i was stuck to :o but just in case global thinks thats good, anyone advertising on it i take note not to want to be associated with by buying if it is something i would have bought and there are options as good as to buy. :p
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Ooh - what happened?

Just after news at 8.34 there was silence and Ferrari almost shouted. What the hell is going on. Then after 2 seconds he said. Hello I am nick Ferrari.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

Duncan Barkes slipped up last night and said LBC 97.3, force of habit I suppose. :D
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Duncan Barkes slipped up last night and said LBC 97.3, force of habit I suppose. :D

Iain tweeted that he was giving £5 to charity every time he said it.

Morning all (just!) :)
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi and a special welcome to our new visitors thanks to LBC going nationwide. If you have not heard 'Mystery Hour' before, I recommend you tune in now.

No explanation needed, just listen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Just after news at 8.34 there was silence and Ferrari almost shouted. What the hell is going on. Then after 2 seconds he said. Hello I am nick Ferrari.

Thanks for that. I wonder if it'll make the podcast...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I have been forced to re-tune my DAB today, after getting a looped message from Nick Ferrari to do so. I've just heard my first 'national' travel report, which overlapped slightly with a trailer. I have to say, it was so general as to be utterly useless. "There are lots of streets closed in Windsor, Staines, Purley etc - you get the picture". Wow - what was the point of that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I wonder if it'll make the podcast...?

SAsaid this morning during his show that Cressida Bonas was wearing a rather odd hat on her head:

It was I fact her hair being blown about in a strong gust of wind.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't like the jingles. Should have kept the old lot and rewrote the IDents.

Only heard callers from the south. Only heard traffic in South, is it read different for Nothern listeners,
  • Options
    tolerant tillytolerant tilly Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Steve Allen being compared with Ray More - a touch of genius! You either get him or you don't but whether you agree with what he says nobody could argue he is a top broadcaster. The same goes for Nick Ferrari.
    I podcast Steve everyday and go to sleep listening - I do not want
    heavy politics then just something to lull me to sleep.
    I do miss some of his guests particularly John Warrington but how many people could cope with 2 and a half hours chat with no idiotic
    sidekicks and never run out of something to say.
    As I said before why listen to him!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SA in his podcast yesterday stated that Wikipedia is full of inaccuracies and you should never take any notice of it:

Ironic that one and he has been known to regularly use it during his show....
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the lower bitrate LBC DAB transmission. Poorer than from the old one for London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    I'm not impressed with the sound quality on the lower bitrate LBC DAB transmission. Poorer than from the old one for London.

I've noticed that too, as I had to re-tune today. Sounds quite weedy.
  • Options
    Adam_ShawAdam_Shaw Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Steve Allen being compared with Ray More - a touch of genius! You either get him or you don't but whether you agree with what he says nobody could argue he is a top broadcaster. The same goes for Nick Ferrari.
    I podcast Steve everyday and go to sleep listening - I do not want
    heavy politics then just something to lull me to sleep.
    I do miss some of his guests particularly John Warrington but how many people could cope with 2 and a half hours chat with no idiotic
    sidekicks and never run out of something to say.
    As I said before why listen to him!!!!!!!!

I'm afraid ladies and gentleman LBC has moved on & it does seem Steve is refusing to budge with the station so I guess he is just hanging on by a thread at the moment before he's pushed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adam_Shaw wrote: »
    I'm afraid ladies and gentleman LBC has moved on & it does seem Steve is refusing to budge with the station so I guess he is just hanging on by a thread at the moment before he's pushed.

It's a pretty thick thread! More of a rope, really...! He's still getting the best London figures for that time of day. The risk, I suppose, is whether going national will affect what LBC want in his slot.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone think the voice-over man for Galliard Homes adverts would be a better choice for voice-over man for the new national LBC?

The Galliard adverts sound like the guy that does the X-Factor voice-overs but I'm not 100% sure it's the same person.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with virtually everything you say .Unfortunately He doesnt seem to fit in with the current chat-about -the - news -to - death format and it seems his ridiculously early slot has almost a charitable status.Personally would give my right eye to elbow out most other presenters to have him on at a reasonable time.:)

A similar light-heart weekday show possibly missus a bit of the bitchy stuff for a later start (and for that reason only) with callers getting involved in the fun straight after say the deadly serious Ferrari show would suit Steve Allen very well, he has the quality that would make it a great show. At the moment the station for me is a tad too serious, for a start there's too many politicians and ex politicians what is that all about?.

This is a completely personal view but I wouldn't have the like of Nick Glegg anywhere near my radio station if I won the Euro lottery and owned my own station, Boris I do like, Ken can't comment not having heard him and same with Mellor.
This discussion has been closed.