Half Term

Comments

• GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Paid employees get paid all year round even though they only turn up for a MAXIMUM of 39 weeks.

I never realised that there was so much potential for serious cuts.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find most stuff in schools is done on a shoestring. A new lightbulb is like the second coming.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Upper Sixth over in Northern Ireland. We only got 3 days off.
    That said, we get two months off in the summer for some reason.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Overpaid? Get a grip Sulla. I get less than £12000 a year!
    Doesn't apply to you then. :)
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    Oh I see! Now people have pointed out to you that it would cost rather a lot to open schools for 3 extra weeks a year, you're switching the argument. Great strategy - lose one argument, quickly switch to another and hope nobody notices.
    I have switched nothing and I still don't see the point of 13 weeks holiday a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Roles in my school: teachers, teaching assistants, pastoral assistants, canteen staff, learning mentors, exams' officer, learning support admin staff (too many varied roles to name), bursar and assistants, caretaking staff, secretaries/PAs, student support staff (running school shop, medical bay etc.), technicians (science, tech, art etc.), business manager and reprographics staff. I've probably missed somebody. The fact is that in a modern average sized secondary school, this is the kind of staff needed to keep it running if you want to maximise your teachers in the classroom.

I think you'll find most stuff in schools is done on a shoestring. A new lightbulb is like the second coming.

When I was at school we had what I have put in bold.

Do we REALLY need all these others?
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*No idea why I'm still justifying but...*

Much of the extra work was done centrally at one point but as LA's have been cut down, responsibility for finances etc. has been devolved to schools. Things like exams, with so many exams' series, there has been a need to have somebody doing that job - used to be done by teachers, but you'd literally not have time to teach and be in lessons for about 6 weeks of the year. Like I said before, it's all about putting teachers in the classroom rather than doing admin in the increasingly demanding world of education.

Or, alternatively, schools are simply taking the government for a ride.

You choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    yes..

You only need them if you want to invent jobs for people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    *No idea why I'm still justifying but...*

Much of the extra work was done centrally at one point but as LA's have been cut down, responsibility for finances etc. has been devolved to schools. Things like exams, with so many exams' series, there has been a need to have somebody doing that job - used to be done by teachers, but you'd literally not have time to teach and be in lessons for about 6 weeks of the year. Like I said before, it's all about putting teachers in the classroom rather than doing admin in the increasingly demanding world of education.

Or, alternatively, schools are simply taking the government for a ride.

You choose.

The teachers in my day must have been superhuman.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The last few years, August weather has been crap. The best weather seems to be in June and Sept these days.
    It does vary doesn't it. We had that long hot summer last year, but the 2 years before that (at least) it seemed to rain non-stop through the summer holidays.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can only suggest to go and spend some time in a reasonable sized secondary school for a few weeks. It is a very different place from 'your day' I suspect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The teachers in my day must have been superhuman.

Or, as I've pointed out a few times, the job and schools have changed.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    Personally I'd like more half terms, it's brilliant driving to work with no traffic.:D
    That is one good thing about half term. And also on public transport as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    I can only suggest to go and spend some time in a reasonable sized secondary school for a few weeks. It is a very different place from 'your day' I suspect.
    I suspect you are right. No wonder Education is so expensive.
    Or, as I've pointed out a few times, the job and schools have changed.

Like everything else in the public sector. They are top heavy with employees.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't apply to you then. :)

And that is taxed and stretched over 12 months, pittance. Good job I love my job :)

And I support my family since my husband was made redundant nearly 4 years ago - but that's just extra information.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The last few years, August weather has been crap. The best weather seems to be in June and Sept these days.

Because the kids are in exams or just back at school. It's like one of the laws of nature*.

*not really but, you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Upper Sixth over in Northern Ireland. We only got 3 days off.
    That said, we get two months off in the summer for some reason.

A lot of the schools in my area got the same this year, I wonder if they'll take slightly longer for St Patrick's weekend because of Easter being late.

I think the extra 2-3 days we had in school prior to Easter and the lack of half term in the summer term probably made up part of the extra days for the summer.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Believe me, if schools could get rid of some of these people it could. Mine did a massive restructuring a couple of years ago in an attempt to save money due to the budget cuts. They've had to re-hire people since because it was simply impossible for the people we were left with to do everything that needs to be done. We're still very short of learning assistants and children with conditions such as dyspraxia are therefore getting no help.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until you work in a school, you don't realise how much the pupils need that break after 6 weeks.

I have worked in a school where I worked all year round with only 4 weeks holiday and now I work in a different one where I get all of the school holidays off. Persoanlly I would prefer a higher wage and to work all year round but it's not necessary in this particular job.

However the pupils really, really need that break especially those in the Special Needs unit I work in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I think that's the thing a lot of people are missing, it's for the benefit of the pupils more than the staff.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Until you work in a school, you don't realise how much the pupils need that break after 6 weeks.

I have worked in a school where I worked all year round with only 4 weeks holiday and now I work in a different one where I get all of the school holidays off. Persoanlly I would prefer a higher wage and to work all year round but it's not necessary in this particular job.

However the pupils really, really need that break especially those in the Special Needs unit I work in.

Completely agree. The hours and breaks in education are for the children. They're children, not adult workers and they need it.

School times and holidays aren't about the parents or anyone else.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We didnt have half of those position when I was at school either, but schools have changed greatly since I was there!! Each government has added and changed and mucked about the education system, its beyond recognition now. Apart from teachers, those lucky secretaries that manage to negotiate full time contracts and caretakers who work all the holidays maintaining the school, all the other staff are paid term time only. So whether you like it or not, apart from the strain on children, who start school at 5 years of age, working 5 days a week, with only 4 weeks off a year, it would be financially impossible for schools to pay for this without getting more money from taxpayers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    We didnt have half of those position when I was at school either, but schools have changed greatly since I was there!! Each government has added and changed and mucked about the education system, its beyond recognition now. Apart from teachers, those lucky secretaries that manage to negotiate full time contracts and caretakers who work all the holidays maintaining the school, all the other staff are paid term time only. So whether you like it or not, apart from the strain on children, who start school at 5 years of age, working 5 days a week, with only 4 weeks off a year, it would be financially impossible for schools to pay for this without getting more money from taxpayers!

The obvious answer is to get rid of the froth. They have all these extra positions but still have to make exams far easier.

Pastoral assistants ??
    Learning mentors ??
    Learning support admin staff ??
    Student support staff ??
    Reprographics staff ??

etc etc
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious answer is to get rid of the froth. They have all these extra positions but still have to make exams far easier.

Pastoral assistants ??
    Learning mentors ??
    Student support staff ??
    Reprographics staff ??

etc etc

You've drifted away from the point a bit. Whether there are too many overpaid workers in schools doesn't alter the fact that it would be expensive to open all schools for an extra the weeks a year. Even with a simple teaching, leadership and site staff you'd be looking at millions.

For you, would reducing the school holidays to 10 weeks from 13 be worth paying for. And where would you see the money coming from?
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pastoral assistants ??
    Learning mentors ??
    Student support staff ??
    Reprographics staff ??

etc etc

Ahem, one of those is my job title! :o

I do the admin in the Learning Support unit. There is a heck of a lot of paperwork especially relating to the pupils with Statements and my job is essential.

I also help out in the main office with a couple of things that used to be the responsibility of the LEA and they have now passed over to schools.

The pastoral staff are also essential, dealing with issues such as bullying and links with the pupils' homes. In a school of 1600 pupils, who would do that otherwise?

There is a part-time person in reprographics - a lot of people do their own photopying but if she didn't do the bulk photocopying it would be doen to higher paid admin staff to do it so it's a good financial decision to employ her.

ETA I am also not overpaid, the admin staff are very poorly paid in the school I work in:(
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    This week is half term week but is it really necessary to have weeks off in february,may and october. Should schools fall in line with other sectors of the workforce and work through to easter and christmas. I would abolish half terms and reduce easter to just a few days just like the majority of the workforce.

I love the kids having time off school, funnily enough I enjoy their company. I didn't have children so they could spend their entire childhood in a classroom.

I particularly like the October break as my son was born halfway through it and will never have to attend school on his birthday!:D