Options

Should Carla Barlow.... (Spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Carla goes ahead and has the baby I will be astounded - she loves her freedom, she is a total workaholic (and loves it) and she likes to take off for distant shores at the drop of a hat. The result would be a child that is farmed out for others to look after and I'm not sure that is a Corrie ethos; unless Leanne adopts it .....
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Lots of women don't want children, find out they are pregnanct and decide to keep the baby.
    Its very different now wanting a baby if you have made that decision, and finding out you are pregnant and becomming attached to the idea very quickly.

I wasn't maternal at all until I got pregnant at the age of 39! my baby is due in 10 weeks and I can't wait to meet it.

Congratulations! :) Wishing you and your little one the best of health. :)
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    If Carla goes ahead and has the baby I will be astounded - she loves her freedom, she is a total workaholic (and loves it) and she likes to take off for distant shores at the drop of a hat. The result would be a child that is farmed out for others to look after and I'm not sure that is a Corrie ethos; unless Leanne adopts it .....

That's exactly why I don't like the idea of her being held back with a baby. While it may be possible that she'll change her views and her priorities once the baby is there, it would completely go against her character to be a doting mother kind of character. Unless it's being used as a way to give her something to keep her going after the affair comes out.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely hated the idea when I first heard they were going down this route, but I've come round to it slightly since. As people have said Carla is not maternal at all, and I'm glad they're at least staying true to her character in that sense, but in an odd way, that's what would make it good, if done right. If Carla continues to struggle with the idea, only keeping the baby because Peter persuades her and maybe even says he'll be a stay at home dad or something (and we all know how that's gonna end) it could potentially be really interesting to see how she'd cope, suddenly finding herself a single mother. I think she'd fear she'd turn into her own mother, doubt her own ability and probably struggle to bond with the child, all of which Ali would portray to perfection. Baby stories usually bore me, but this could POSSIBLY be quite good.

However, this is SB and I don't trust him at all to do this story any justice, and for that reason I'm almost hoping Carla miscarries, as awful as that sounds. If she has an abortion she'll be hated, but a miscarriage after the affair reveal would add just strengthen her motive and add to people's sympathies for her.
  • Options
    LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of women don't want children, find out they are pregnanct and decide to keep the baby.
    Its very different now wanting a baby if you have made that decision, and finding out you are pregnant and becomming attached to the idea very quickly.

I wasn't maternal at all until I got pregnant at the age of 39! my baby is due in 10 weeks and I can't wait to meet it.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!:)

On the subject of Carla's lack of maternal feelings, I agree with a lot of FM's on here. It would totally go against everything that Carla believes in to suddenly make her all mummsy . I've not Carla's biggest fan but I'm fed up with all the changes in character that we've had to endure since SB took over.>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she keeps it she doesn't have to go all mumsy. It would be interesting to watch her struggling to bond.

It would actually have been great if Hayley was around to help Carla with the baby. :(
  • Options
    madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she keeps it she doesn't have to go all mumsy. It would be interesting to watch her struggling to bond.

It would actually have been great if Hayley was around to help Carla with the baby. :(

This is what I think would be good.

It could be done really well, but I do fear, her character is already being ruined, Peter & Tina's have been..
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe she can go to put it up for adoption but then Julie ends up beings its guardian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't someone in that street either pop to Dev's and get condoms or just pop to the doctors at the other end and get condoms, go on pill, get an IUD, or a cap. All free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevon1 wrote: »
    I think this could be interesting and I'm glad to see more focus on Carla.

Seconded.
    I suspect Peter will end up going to prison, Carla as a single mum would be interesting, and give the character some direction after she loses Peter. A post natal depression storyline might be good. I know Carla gets a lot of misery piled on to her but it's because Alison King is such a competent actress and is brilliant to watch.

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'd want her to do, but if she was going to abort, it would make for a better storyline if she was convinced to go ahead now and later aborts when she finds out about Peter's affair.

Leanne fell pregnant in 2011 but miscarried. What happened after that that meant she couldn't have children?

Whatever happened during the miscarriage meant it is doubtful that she can conceive again naturally so would need some sort of medical help in order to conceive.
    To some people's minds, including my own, Carla's actions were an indirect cause of Leanne's miscarriage.

Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I hope the writers don't have her going ahead with the baby. She's always repeat always been almost as unmaternal as I am and the chances of her having a complete turnaround at her age seems unlikely.

(I know older women often have babies, but it's usually not because they don't want one, but because they were too busy with their careers and just kept putting it off).

I always remember laughing when Carla said to Leanne, 'I wanted yer 'usband, not yer kid'. :D I haven't seen anything that would make me believe she has changed that mindset, either in respect to Simon or a kid of her own :)

Absolutely.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Whatever happened during the miscarriage meant it is doubtful that she can conceive again naturally so would need some sort of medical help in order to conceive.
    To some people's minds, including my own, Carla's actions were an indirect cause of Leanne's miscarriage.

Absolutely.
    Leanne is overjoyed to find that she is pregnant but although Peter seems happy, he admits to Ken that he isn't sure they are ready. Peter and Leanne celebrate in the Rovers and Carla overhears Deirdre and Ken congratulating them and forces Peter to confirm that Leanne is pregnant. Leanne is furious when she realises Carla knows about her pregnancy, especially when Carla drops hints to Simon about it. She confronts Peter and they argue about it, which ends with Leanne hurling vicious insults at Peter about his alcoholism and he storms out of the flat. Feeling guilty, Leanne runs after him but trips and falls down the stairs, where she is later found by Stella. Leanne miscarries and reconciles with Stella.

I fail to see how the blame can be put on Carla. Her ranting at Peter and taking a tumble seems more like the cause of the miscarriage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how the blame can be put on Carla. Her ranting at Peter and taking a tumble seems more like the cause of the miscarriage.

I agree, How the hell is the miscarriage down to Carla
    It was just Leanne being Leanne
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I hope she aborts the baby but I have a feeling she won't.
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of you seem against this, but the one thing Corrie tries to do is prepare for its future. Part of that is introducing children that hopefully get the opportunity to grow up on screen. It's something Corrie has done extremely well over the years: Tracey, Peter, David, Nick and Sophie are all adult characters born on the show, and born to long term characters with a committed actor.

By the looks of it there's also a huge potential that Amy, Simon, Ruby, Hope, Asda and Aldi will be part of the next generation to do so, as I don't see Steve, Leanne, Fiz, Tyronne or Dev going anywhere (Joseph and Jade deliberately left out).

It could be that Alison King is just as happy to stay for the long game, and if so, I welcome the move. I personally like the fact that they sporadically add a new Barlow into the mix, but it seems slightly more authentic to do so when we've watched Peter all these years.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla's about as likely to want to be saddled with a baby as Tina is to be mistaken for an albino. Totally unsuitable ridiculous move for her, she's as maternal as I am - and Cruella De Vil is probably more maternal than me:p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they'll want to continue the Barlow line also, that's why I see her keeping it.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, it'll give Peter another reason to come back if Chris does return after his break. I mean sure, he could come back for Simon, but by then Simon will be what, 13? Old enough to potentially disown Peter after him possibly having killed Tina and abandoned him yet again. A baby that Peter may never have got to see before he was jailed or however he's being written out would be a far bigger pull and of course would bring a lot of potential in terms of storylines,

Also, if Carla has an abortion in a week or so's time, would this have been hyped up as much? It feels like they're setting up a long term story to me.
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she'll have the baby for sure, as they see it as a novelty for this career minded, unsentimental woman to have to deal with the mundanity and drudgery of nappies, feeding times, tiredness etc for a while. But once the novelty has worn off Carla and the baby will be taking a back seat like all the other mums on the show (well, except Fiz, as she does have special needs!) and if she is stuck with a kid growing up who's needs are greater than her own, it's going to get boring and eventually they'll drop out of the show, until some future event or some massive gathering of the Barlows calls for them to be summoned up from the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    I think she'll have the baby for sure, as they see it as a novelty for this career minded, unsentimental woman to have to deal with the mundanity and drudgery of nappies, feeding times, tiredness etc for a while. But once the novelty has worn off Carla and the baby will be taking a back seat like all the other mums on the show (well, except Fiz, as she does have special needs!) and if she is stuck with a kid growing up who's needs are greater than her own, it's going to get boring and eventually they'll drop out of the show, until some future event or some massive gathering of the Barlows calls for them to be summoned up from the past.

I HIGHLY doubt they'd let Carla fade into the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I HIGHLY doubt they'd let Carla fade into the background.

We'll see:D I already predicted to myself that her and Peter would last about as long as a chocolate fireguard and i was right about that:) That is a smug smile by the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    We'll see:D I already predicted to myself that her and Peter would last about as long as a chocolate fireguard and i was right about that:) That is a smug smile by the way.

I bet you predicted Carla would have left years ago, but funnily enough she's still here
    Carla and Peter have lasted longer than Leanne and Peter not cheating!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kazza81 wrote: »
    I bet you predicted Carla would have left years ago, but funnily enough she's still here
    Carla and Peter have lasted longer than Leanne and Peter not cheating!

No Kazza, i didn't predict she would have left years ago, but I did send out my bad vibes and one of my designer curses in her direction. Sadly my magic doesn't seem to have been strong enough......YET!

However long Peter and Carla have been together. it's been too long. I'm mean apart from having sex and going on minibreaks what else have they done?
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm bothered if she as the baby or not....just as long as we don't have to endure to much Carla on screen I find her very irritating.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    Can't say I'm bothered if she as the baby or not....just as long as we don't have to endure to much Carla on screen I find her very irritating.

Ditto.