Friends Gripes

Comments

• Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 'Joey' the agent he hires looks a lot like Monica old neighbour..

Probably because she is the same person xD Love the actress though.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assumed they all kind of knew each other, like Ross and Monica's parents knew Rachel's parents (and obviously Monica and Rachel were friends) because Jack mentioned how much Rachel's dad spent on her wedding to Barry. Jack and Judy were friends with Richard so I guess Rachel's parents were too (she mentioned him kissing her when she hurt herself as a child). So Barry and/or Mindy (or rather, their parents) probably knew Richard too and he was invited to the wedding, with Monica as his plus one.

Especially as Rachel's Dad was a doctor, Rachel's parents probably knew Richard

I thought Ross and Rachel were very cruel to Chandler when they said that he wouldn't get Emma if Ross, Rachel and Monica all died
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't a gripe but a 'blink and you'll miss it moment'

Last night i watched the one with the morning after. On the end scene where they are leaving Monica's apartment as the credits are rolling, watch as the door closes. It doesn't close properly instead the image cuts to a frozen image of the door closed.

I had to check my DVD wasn't jumping it's actually on the episode!
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    How come when Monica and Chandler got together everyone started speaking of marriage quickly but when the so called 'meant to be' couple Ross and Rachel got together no one did? Weird considering they were the couple of the group originally. It always looked that Ross/Rachel wedding would be how the show ended
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    How come when Monica and Chandler got together everyone started speaking of marriage quickly but when the so called 'meant to be' couple Ross and Rachel got together no one did? Weird considering they were the couple of the group originally. It always looked that Ross/Rachel wedding would be how the show ended

Ross & Rachel were a weird set up. They were the big will they/won't they couple of the series but everything they did as a couple was kind of back to front. They got married but it was a drunken mistake and they were both 'not in that place' at the time. They had a child together but again they weren't really a couple at the time of conception and again that was a drunken mistake (plus a dodgy condom). When they actually were a couple they were only officially together around a year (or slightly less) and never lived together as a couple.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was well known in the group that Monica really wanted to get married and start a family - once she found the right man. When the Friends found out that she and Chandler were in love it probably just seemed like the next natural step!

Whereas Rachel was quite scared by the idea of settling down and responsibility
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mostly they were joking but Ross and Rachel split after a year, whereas Monica and Chandler moved in after a year.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd always assumed that was in a jokey way, given Chandler's usual fear of commitment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The collective ridiculousness that was the last few seasons. The characters became caricatures, and not very good ones at that.

Monica became an obsessive, bitchy, almost cartoonish control freak, whereas she seemed much more laid-back at the start while also having an OCD edge.

Joey just became too stupid to take seriously.

Ross became more whiny and annoying than ever.

Phoebe became very manipulative and annoying. Didn't really like the way she constantly ridiculed everyone else.

Chandler just became the token henpecked boyfriend/later husband.

Rachel....actually became much more grounded as the series progressed. A rare one.

I liked the show, right up until the end, but it felt like a completely different show at that point, not necessarily in a good way.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but just saw an earlier episode today where Joey talks about dating a girl who had a big Adam's apple (the joke being that it wasn't a girl). But in a later season when they really buffooned him out, he supposedly thought it was named after each man ie "it hurts my Joey's apple".

It's reasons like this that Joey was my least favourite character. Completely lazy writing for cheap laughs. He started off as such an interesting character though.
  • emzangel28emzangel28 Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    The one after Joey and Rachel kiss. Monica, Phoebe and Chandler are in between the two rooms listening through the walls to Rachel and Joey, and Ross and Charlie. So those three can hear the slightest sounds such as bed springs and shoes being kicked off, but the others can't hear Monica phoebe and chandler talking much louder? Hmm...haha!
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who didn't find the references to Ugly, naked guy very funny? I never understood why the audience used to find it so humorous whenever they referenced a guy who we couldn't see. I was so glad when he moved out and Ross took over his flat.

In the first series there is someone who keeps spying on Monica & Rachel from across the street with binoculars. But this same person also spies on Joey & Chandler's place as well even though their flat sits on the other side of the building.
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who didn't find the references to Ugly, naked guy very funny? I never understood why the audience used to find it so humorous whenever they referenced a guy who we couldn't see. I was so glad when he moved out and Ross took over his flat.

In the first series there is someone who keeps spying on Monica & Rachel from across the street with binoculars. But this same person also spies on Joey & Chandler's place as well even though their flat sits on the other side of the building.

That was a terrible plot, The person could see Joey cooking naked? The kitchen in the apartment has no window also so she couldn't see this
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering why they decided to dumb Joey down further?

The episode where he was learning French, and couldn't even repeat a simple and common saying,
    What was that shit all about? Fli do flu fli
    He went from being slightly average stupid to just plain dumb arse.

Monica was a better character in the first 1-3 seasons!
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Just wondering why they decided to dumb Joey down further?

The episode where he was learning French, and couldn't even repeat a simple and common saying,
    What was that shit all about? Fli do flu fli

He went from being slightly average stupid to just plain dumb arse.

Monica was a better character in the first 1-3 seasons!

That episode was written by a bunch of 2 year olds. I think as a sort of experiment to see what they found funny.

If that is not the reason then the actors involved should have refused to film something so pathetic
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    It's odd to me people getting annoyed with Phoebe. Her evil comments (at times) are part of her specific humour. She can also be one of the more understanding of the bunch too.

She's not my favourite character and sometimes the constant high pitch of her voice can be a bit irritating, but as for her character, I see her comments more in a black comedy kind of way.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    It's odd to me people getting annoyed with Phoebe. Her evil comments (at times) are part of her specific humour. She can also be one of the more understanding of the bunch too.

She's not my favourite character and sometimes the constant high pitch of her voice can be a bit irritating, but as for her character, I see her comments more in a black comedy kind of way.

So do I. She was one of the funniest for one liners.

Her "No wonder you're pregnant" to Rachel still makes me howl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might have mentioned this before, but In the One with the Cop, when Chandler and Ross make jokes about cops eating doughnuts, is that a reference to Chief Wiggum in The Simpsons or is it a known sterotype that cops love Doughnuts? I've seen an episode of TBBT or HIMYM where a similar joke is made
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a well worn stereotype. A couple of examples from popular music:

'All the cops in doughnut shop say....' from 'walk like an egyptian' by The Bangles

and

'I got more rhymes than theres cops at a dunkin' donuts shop....' from Jump Around by House Of Pain.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watched the ep where Monica is making dinner for her mum and her mum had the frozen lasagne in the freezer incase she messes up and "pulls a Monica".

Judy notices Monica's nail varnish (which was blue I think) and says something like "they look just like your nana's when we found her".

But in the first season there was the ep where we got to see nana's death (TWICE). She wasn't found dead. She could have been talking about Jack's mum of course, but I thought of this thread when I saw it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watched the ep where Monica is making dinner for her mum and her mum had the frozen lasagne in the freezer incase she messes up and "pulls a Monica".

Judy notices Monica's nail varnish (which was blue I think) and says something like "they look just like your nana's when we found her".

But in the first season there was the ep where we got to see nana's death (TWICE). She wasn't found dead. She could have been talking about Jack's mum of course, but I thought of this thread when I saw it.

When Monica gets married, Judy says "I wish your Nana was alive to see this" to which Monica replies "she is" and Judy says "not that old cow I mean my mother" suggesting that Jack's mum was still alive in season 7
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok - I have one

Monica and Chandlers wedding - Chandler thinks he has lost the disposable cameras from the tables so he, Joey and Ross take ONE disposable camera in the hope of taking enough photos to fool Monica into thinking he hasnt lost all the cameras - come on guys - ONE camera - seriously??!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    ok - I have one

Monica and Chandlers wedding - Chandler thinks he has lost the disposable cameras from the tables so he, Joey and Ross take ONE disposable camera in the hope of taking enough photos to fool Monica into thinking he hasnt lost all the cameras - come on guys - ONE camera - seriously??!!

I think it was just Chandler and Ross who did that
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I think it was just Chandler and Ross who did that

lol even more ridiculous then! :):D
  • Kevin_GeddesKevin_Geddes Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    This one has probably been posted on here before, had a quick look but couldn't find it.

Another one about Joey getting more and more stupidier as the show went on

I was watching an earlier episode today about season 2 i think and Joey was on about this 'Lady' that he had been with saying that she had a very big adams apple. In a much later episode towards the end i remember him saying to saying to chandler about something was hurting his 'Joeys' Apple and chandler had ti explain to him they are not named after each person

Obviously the writers had totally fogotten about the earlier show i agree with most on here about how stupid he gets towards the end of the show and that where he cant speak french was just plain stupid