My cat is really sick...

Comments

• UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad your wee boy is happy and enjoying life. I hope it continues for a very very long time. x
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the update lost_soul. I do hope he continues to improve. :)
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quick update, we're still fighting....we saw the vet again today, nothing much changed except the vet has stopped telling me Mac only has days left and mac has put on a lot of weight, Mac is acting just fine right now but the vet has reduced his meds and last time that happened he got very sick very quickly and i almost lost him....the vets still arent sure what is wrong but they are still sure his blood tests show he is dying :(
    My boy is a fighter thats for sure!

i did 2 quick videos of him today and put them on facebook, they are public so i hope they work...he really doesnt look sick, which is wonderful but also its heartbreaking because i know he really is ..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=642194832531508&set=vb.100002229919970&type=2&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=642212315863093&set=vb.100002229919970&type=2&theater
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    quick update, we're still fighting....we saw the vet again today, nothing much changed except the vet has stopped telling me Mac only has days left and mac has put on a lot of weight, Mac is acting just fine right now but the vet has reduced his meds and last time that happened he got very sick very quickly and i almost lost him....the vets still arent sure what is wrong but they are still sure his blood tests show he is dying :(
    My boy is a fighter thats for sure!

i did 2 quick videos of him today and put them on facebook, they are public so i hope they work...he really doesnt look sick, which is wonderful but also its heartbreaking because i know he really is ..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=642194832531508&set=vb.100002229919970&type=2&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=642212315863093&set=vb.100002229919970&type=2&theater

Oh he is gorgeous. Very handsome and as one comment on the facebook said- so alert!
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a lovely little cat. I find it hard to believe he's dying, he looks as bright as a button. Have his lymph nodes gone down any?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    He's a lovely little cat. I find it hard to believe he's dying, he looks as bright as a button. Have his lymph nodes gone down any?

yes, since hes been on the steroids his lymph nodes are less than half the size they were before but his temperature still wont go down and now the steroids are being reduced we have to watch him like a hawk to make sure his lymph nodes dont swell so much he stops eating and it effects his breathing like they did before...
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I took a deep breath before I opened this thread, but thank goodness he's still holding his own. He is absolutely gorgeous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's eating, putting on weight and responding to treatment then I wouldn't be too pessimistic. Sounds like he's a little fighter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's eating, putting on weight and responding to treatment then I wouldn't be too pessimistic. Sounds like he's a little fighter.

im definitely not giving up on him and hes certainly not giving up, hes due to have a new lot of xrays and bloods in 2 weeks if hes fine on the reduced meds, so maybe we'll get some answers then, ive lost count how many times in the last 13 weeks ive been told he wont make it and he just keeps on going, apart from a week when they stopped his meds and he became really sick hes always been alert and eating...its hard though when 3 different vets tell me he wont get through this, ive been through so many emotions, ive grieved for him and then he runs around the room and i cant believe how happy it makes me ....

heres an extra photo of him...well why not :p
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=642138799203778&set=a.209169712500691.52208.100002229919970&type=1&theater
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a puzzle. It sounds so much like what Tigger had last year including the vet's pessimism and all the symptoms, and I never got any answers as to what it was.

I hope very much it has the same happy ending with you as it did me.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG he's gorgeous! What a little character. (I bet all those little figures have to be shut out of paws reach!) And gorgeous tail... is he at least part Maine ****? I love the photo where he's looking straight at the camera.

I hope things continue to go well for him and fingers crossed for a good result when his meds are reduced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    OMG he's gorgeous! What a little character. (I bet all those little figures have to be shut out of paws reach!) And gorgeous tail... is he at least part Maine ****? I love the photo where he's looking straight at the camera.

I hope things continue to go well for him and fingers crossed for a good result when his meds are reduced.

Yes my husbands collection has to be cat proof :D there have been a few disasters in the past!
    we dont really know what Mac is but the vet thinks part ragdoll or ragamuffin (which i'd never heard of) he really loves the camera, as soon as he sees it he poses for me.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    AWW - he's gorgeous! How many times a day do you strokes that beautiful tail? :D I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off it. He really is a gorgeous little feller. I hope all turns out well for him, and for you too, of course.
  • thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a newbie to this thread, but I have just read every single page and it made me cry. :(:cry: I really hope that you and Mac get through this. Just remember to think about all the positive times you've had together. Is there any news on how Mac is doing today?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a newbie to this thread, but I have just read every single page and it made me cry. :(:cry: I really hope that you and Mac get through this. Just remember to think about all the positive times you've had together. Is there any news on how Mac is doing today?

I fear that Mac is slowing down ...he hasnt played for a few days which isnt like him at all, he's alert and interested in his toys but once he realises what it is he just lays down, hes been sleeping more than normal too, ive spoken to the vet on the phone but they told me with what hes going through (whatever that is) this is to be expected :(
    hes still eating well though and will run for food, he's proved the vet wrong before so hopefully hes just having a few off days and will prove them wrong again.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I fear that Mac is slowing down ...he hasnt played for a few days which isnt like him at all, he's alert and interested in his toys but once he realises what it is he just lays down, hes been sleeping more than normal too, ive spoken to the vet on the phone but they told me with what hes going through (whatever that is) this is to be expected :(
    hes still eating well though and will run for food, he's proved the vet wrong before so hopefully hes just having a few off days and will prove them wrong again.

Fingers crossed. That he is still so interested in food is really good.
  • thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I'm glad he's still eating well. :) That's a good thing. I hope he gets better, lots of support for you and Mac. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could just be the antibiotic making him sluggish, it has that effect sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could just be the antibiotic making him sluggish, it has that effect sometimes.
    hes been on antibiotics of one type or another for 3 months...ive just noticed his lymph nodes are bigger today than they were yesterday, the vet cut his steroids on wednesday morning so he hasnt had a full dose since tuesday, they told me if i notice any change in him to up the dosage again so i'll try upping them tonight and see how he goes. My heart says get him back to the vet but my head says why, they will just tell me to put him to sleep..and he is still eating fine and running for his chicken treat.
    i know steroids have a lot of dangerous side effects , thats why the vet wants him off of them but without them his lymph nodes swell so badly he cant breath properly...and with all the vets ive seen saying Mac wont get through this thing i want whatever time he has left to be comfortable and as normal as possible and i guess if that means he stays on steroids then so be it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it seems that my baby boy is coming to the end of his fight...and hes faught it bravely,
    the meds are no longer working, his lymph nodes are getting bigger and all he does now is sleep and eat..i was praying he would make it until may the 4th so we could celebrate his 2nd birthday but unless we get another miracle that wont be happening, hes not in pain, hes not suffering and hes still eating so his fight isnt up yet but he cant fight much longer...im completely broken, hes my boy, i feel so useless watching him die and knowing i cant stop it...
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    So sorry to read this Lost_Soul - take care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it seems that my baby boy is coming to the end of his fight...and hes faught it bravely,
    the meds are no longer working, his lymph nodes are getting bigger and all he does now is sleep and eat..i was praying he would make it until may the 4th so we could celebrate his 2nd birthday but unless we get another miracle that wont be happening, hes not in pain, hes not suffering and hes still eating so his fight isnt up yet but he cant fight much longer...im completely broken, hes my boy, i feel so useless watching him die and knowing i cant stop it...

I'm so sorry Lost Soul. At least he's not suffering and is still enjoying his food. You've done the very best you could to fight with him, but sometimes there's just nothing anyone can do.

Is there nothing else the vet can suggest?
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so, so sorry to hear this :(

Not even 2, it seems so cruel

Give him a cuddle from me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry Lost Soul. At least he's not suffering and is still enjoying his food. You've done the very best you could to fight with him, but sometimes there's just nothing anyone can do.

Is there nothing else the vet can suggest?

the vet says theres nothing else to try, Macs had a temperature since he was first admitted on the 28th December, it isnt as high as it was but its still there and hes been on antibiotics for all this time, (different types) , he started the steroids a month ago when he stopped eating and was doing really well until the vet reduced them, the dosage has increased now but his lymph nodes are getting bigger, i dont know if this would have happened if i hadnt reduced the meds but he was only on the reduced dosage for 3 days,
    whether this is FIP or lymphosarcoma the medication would be the same, i spoken to people who have cats with FIP and mac definitely has some symptoms of dry fip and ive spoken to people who have cats with lymphosarcoma and he has some of the symptoms of that too, its hard not knowing, i feel like theres so much more i should do, i just dont know what else i can do .
    hes just eaten and is cleaning himself right now so for now hes ok... but i know his fight is ending :(
    it just feels so wrong..
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    Sorry to read the update. :(

I think it's always good when cats are still eating. I know the signal for my decision to end my Tabitha's life was when she stopped eating and lost complete interest in food (she was still interested in going outdoors right to the very end though).

I hope you still have a little bit longer because every single day is precious and will give you memories to look back on.