Options

Thinking about PlusNet Business for Prioritised Service

timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of switching to PlusNet Business shortly as my Be ADSL account is being transferred to Sky next week.

I am particularly keen on having the best upload speed possible over ADSL (no Fibre available for another 9 months or so here). With Be I had Annex M which gave me a slightly better upload at the cost of some download speed. I run a business off it and would like to be able to VPN in too.

With Be I am currently getting about 12Mb/s down and 1.2Mb/s up (Modem syncing at 13.8Mb/s/1.7Mb/s).

I see PlusNet Business have Annex M for an extra £10/month which is a lot considering it was free on Be (and not available on Sky hence the main reason I want to leave) but I'm also considering Prioritised Service for an extra £7/month as they say on their website "This offers faster upstream speeds and a higher priority on the BT Wholesale network." and "It's particularly suited to VPN use. Perfect if you regularly upload large amounts, or need to upload files faster than normal" which sounds like it's what I need as the line is used for a lot of uploading (FTPing files and streaming), but not sure how effective it is in reality and is it worth the extra cost (now £17/month on top of the basic fee!!)

I'm hesitating a bit as with Be I always had good speeds day and night and service was excellent on their Be Pro package with Static IP so not sure if I'll see much extra benefit with going for a business package other than keeping Annex M.

Switching from Be/Sky for Internet and BT for phone line to an unlimited 24 month Broadband and Phone package on PlusNet means I can keep costs down a little but in the end it'll still put my monthly costs up by about £9-10.

Anyone here on a PlusNet business package with either Annex M or Prioritised Service care to comment?

On a monthly basis I usually upload about the same amount as I download, so I need decent upload speeds.

Comments

• Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Can't comment on the business offer but the service for home users is generally good and competitively priced.

The only issue I have with them is that the Technicolor routers can be temperamental. do business users get these?

Customer service is UK based and pretty good but you may have a long wait at busy times.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bog-standard PlusNet line has 17Mbps down, 1Mbps up. When the line is first set up they artificially set the upload to a maximum of 468kbps, but if you call them they will happily remove the artificial block for no extra cost. It will slightly lower your download speed though (I was getting upwards of 18Mbps down before).

As a result I never have issues with VPN speeds.

As for the above comment about their supplied routers, my advice is to get your own. I use a Belkin N600. PlusNet are quite happy for you to plug your own equipment in.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    My bog-standard PlusNet line has 17Mbps down, 1Mbps up. When the line is first set up they artificially set the upload to a maximum of 468kbps, but if you call them they will happily remove the artificial block for no extra cost. It will slightly lower your download speed though (I was getting upwards of 18Mbps down before).

As a result I never have issues with VPN speeds.

As for the above comment about their supplied routers, my advice is to get your own. I use a Belkin N600. PlusNet are quite happy for you to plug your own equipment in.

Yes I had that upload issue but they took the limit off when I asked them to. In my case I get 20Mb download and just under 1Mb upload so in my case it was affected by the change.

I haven't looked at the business tariffs but I expect they are more expensive than domestic tariffs and users receive a priority service.

Can business users route phone calls over 18185?
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I would need to get my own equipment as I want a dial-in VPN facility, so would probably go with a Draytek Vigor which I use elsewhere and has worked well.