Options

Would you buy your little boy a princess costume?

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    What if he wanted to dress like Hitler or the kkk would that be ok?

Hitler's policies killed millions of people, the KKK stand for white supremacy and hate. What does a pink princess stand for? It's not even comparable.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    epicurian;

The reference to the Wests was to prove the point that I wasn't saying that married parents are always better than single parents. It wasn't a comparison.

Kids who are bullied often end up becoming bullies so I'd say the answer to that could be both.

Children often don't tell parents if they're bullied so the fact the parents don't know is not proof it didn't happen or wont happen later due to the parents advertising the picture/s and even if in that one isolated case the child had no problems in later life due to pictures being made public on their behalf, its still not proof of why its fine to apply that across the board.

Strange that he would choose to continue to wear the tutu if he was being bullied for it. You're grasping at straws.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Strange that he would choose to continue to wear the tutu if he was being bullied for it. You're grasping at straws.

I'm not grasping at straws atall, Because my family moved around during my schooling I when to 6 different schools from the age of 5- 16. All of them had Bullies. As I said before, most of the people I know are married and have kids and that's the reason I know bullying has not been eradicated in schools yet. One isolated case where you claim the child was not bullied and allegedly will not be in the future doesn't prove that's the norm.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys should dress up as manly things. Native Americans. Traffic cops. Cowboys. Construction workers. Soldiers etc.

...wait a minute...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    A facebook friend of mine has just posted a photo of her little boy (he's around 2 or 3) in a Snow White princess costume, at first I was taken aback but it has a lot of "likes" and I know she's a very "earthy" mother, her approach to parenting is very natural and loving, and one of her boys favorite toys is his dolly.

It got me thinking as I'm currently pregnant with a boy, and although I wouldn't mind so much if he wanted a doll, I'd probably cross the line at buying him a princess costume, which makes me feel bad for stereotyping.

As a child, I was very much a tom boy, I used to wear boys clothes and I remember wanting an army toy for Christmas and my mum telling me it was "a boys toy" and I couldn't have it.

I've been doing a little research as I was curious how common this is and I found a Youtube video, it was a hidden camera experiment set in a costume shop, and they had a mother and her son arguing in the shop because he wanted the Belle (from Beauty and the beast) costume, and his "mum" was trying to get him to choose clothes from the boys department.
    Other shoppers were getting involved, trying to persuade him to try on Spiderman and Army costumes, and telling the mum that there's no way they would buy their boys girls costumes.
    They also did a role reversal, where a girl wanted to be Spiderman and the "mum" was trying to get her to try princess costumes.
    Again, other shoppers got involved, telling the girl she would look so much prettier in a dress and that the costumes she wanted were for boys.

I just wondering what everyone elses take on this is. Have you been in that situation, what did you do? Or what would you do?

of course not, that would be stupid and do you want him to be bullied

jesus, some people
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Boys should dress up as manly things. Native Americans. Traffic cops. Cowboys. Construction workers. Soldiers etc.

...wait a minute...

digital spy needs a like button;-):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...wait a minute...

I'm not old enough to remember the YMCA song coming out but I expect police and native Americans existed before that and didn't base their costume on that song.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not old enough to remember the YMCA song coming out but I expect police and native Americans existed before that and didn't base their costume on that song.

and i dont think anyone them were really gay so its a double bust

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh wow.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »

As I understand it, the Indian was openly gay and the Cowboy came out later. But the rest of them are straight.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought all but one was gay. I think it may have been the Native American one or the leather one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course not, that would be stupid and do you want him to be bullied

jesus, some people

That would say more about the bullies are the one with the problem and not the victim,
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always running round in dresses at nursery. I never got bullied. But then again I am a nasty bastard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought all but one was gay. I think it may have been the Native American one or the leather one.

Surely it depends which lineup we're talking about?
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah because no cop of native America was ever gay before then.....

I miss the roll eyes smilie.....
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it depends which lineup we're talking about?

That's true. But I think there was a section on Never Mind the Buzzcocks that had the question about which one was straight and IIRC it was the original line up.

Yes I did just base my knowledge on this from NMTB. :D:D
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see an issue. If he wants to play at being a princess then so be it. People do make a big deal over nothing.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as YMCA is an indisputable gay anthem, and we wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea about our sons, perhaps it's best we ban all village people related fancy dress from now on. Just in case someone mistakenly bullies them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah because no cop of native America was ever gay before then.....

I miss the roll eyes smilie.....

You also missed the point. Well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You also missed the point. Well done.

...and you didn't?
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    What if he wanted to dress like Hitler or the kkk would that be ok?

When I was at junior school (sixties) we used to play a game called "the war". Our school was built on a bomb site, we all knew it was a bomb site as we used to play on it before the school was built (Clerkenwell, London)

Now obviously because we were playing "the war" children played as Germans and we would go around seig heiling and goose stepping and talking in funny accents to get in character if it was our turn to play the Germans.

(Just as an aside, they were rarely the Nazis, they were the Germans)

Just wondering if that would be allowed in the school playground nowadays?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Seeing as YMCA is an indisputable gay anthem, and we wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea about our sons, perhaps it's best we ban all village people related fancy dress from now on. Just in case someone mistakenly bullies them.

I had to look it up to check but that song is older than me and I'm 34. I doubt kids would make an association between a police uniform or Native American costume and a song that came out when their parents were little or maybe even before their parents were born.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and you didn't?

The reference being made was to the village people. I'm not sure what other point you had in mind but it wasn't as clear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at junior school (sixties) we used to play a game called "the war". Our school was built on a bomb site, we all knew it was a bomb site as we used to play on it before the school was built (Clerkenwell, London)

Now obviously because we were playing "the war" children played as Germans and we would go around seig heiling and goose stepping and talking in funny accents to get in character if it was our turn to play the Germans.

(Just as an aside, they were rarely the Nazis, they were the Germans)

Just wondering if that would be allowed in the school playground nowadays?

Someone I know, son and his mates like to play army v muslim terrorists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reference being made was to the village people. I'm not sure what other point you had in mind but it wasn't as clear.

My point exactly. Well, it was more of a joke than a point, but if we're going to be po-faced about it, we can pretend it had gravitas if you'd like. When I list those things, everyone knows I'm talking about the VP even though I don't mention them by name. Associations are fluid and change over time, location and range of context, which is why the "tradition" argument doesn't really hold up in this case. The humour arises from the juxtaposition of two different and contrasting signifieds being represented by the same signifier.

Now if anyone needs me, I'll be down the pub with that Twitter bot whose raison d'etre is to drain the life from jokes by explaining them away.