YNWA

XXXXXX
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Hillsborough Tribute on News 24, Very touching, much respect to Martinez and Everton. As the banner said, 2 Clubs, one family.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Given the number of families on Merseyside divided between support for Liverpool and Everton, and the likelihood that a large number of Evertonians lost family or friends at Hillsborough, it's not surprising that the two clubs stand together so closely regarding the disaster.
  • edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if Rafa is at the memorial today?
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Burnham. A wonderful case of an MP listening to what the people said and wanted and acting upon it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Burnham, probably one of the very few MP's in the house whom I could vote for.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez says to the crowd: "How can anyone die watching the game you love? That isn't right, that isn't fair.

"What happened after wasn't right or fair either. To have to fight for the good name of the ones you lost was appalling."
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought with the 96 today. Watched the ceremony on BBC News channel and was moved to tears by the sheer fight those families have gone through. the 2 managers stood side by side and spoke brilliantly. Margaret and Trevor spoke so brilliantly as well. Always touched by this service and YNWA was incredibly moving as it always is at this time of year.

I hope the families get justice.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Watch what you say on here guys. DS is a bit funny about any references to anything that has a court case pending. Theres already been threads pulled. Obviously the tributes should be ok but just a heads up that discussing what happened might see posts removed and stuff.

I was off work today and i noticed that Liverpool TV did a similar thing for the same reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Rest in peace 96 Angels

Never forgotten #YNWA
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Watch what you say on here guys. DS is a bit funny about any references to anything that has a court case pending. Theres already been threads pulled. Obviously the tributes should be ok but just a heads up that discussing what happened might see posts removed and stuff.

I was off work today and i noticed that Liverpool TV did a similar thing for the same reason.

Yeah they only broadcast it live for 30 minutes up to the silence. They're showing it in full this evening but obviously vetting it first to make sure they don't broadcast anything that could affect the inquest.

There's also a new Hillsborough documentary being broadcast on ESPN in the US tonight at 8pm (1am UK) but it's not being shown in the UK for the same reason as above.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    Yeah they only broadcast it live for 30 minutes up to the silence. They're showing it in full this evening but obviously vetting it first to make sure they don't broadcast anything that could affect the inquest.

Ah, thanks :) I wondered why they did that :confused:

As it was, I somewhat guiltily turned to Sky to watch it, only for :o Kay Burley to start talking over Martinez' speech!! >:(

Finally got a decent version on BBC News...why didn't I think of that in the first place?!?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the show on Liverpool TV on Sky earlier, and it was very moving indeed, this was more than a football tragedy, this a human one, I hope that they get everything that want.

Today we should all be on the same side, there are no rivals, just people wanting the best for other people.

Justice for the 96.

YWNWA.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing was very moving - Roberto Martinez was excellent - whatever our footballing differences, Everton have always stood side by side with Liverpool when it comes to Hillsborough.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Been to the service today - very moving.

Ours is a special special club is the truth - the LFC family was very much in evidence with the current squad (all the first team, the reserves and youngsters, ladies team + staff), ex players and staff (Kenny, Rushie , Thommo, Carra, Cally, Didi, Souness, Aldo David Johnson, Ron Yeats were just some of those I saw) and of course the 96 families all there.

It was also nice to see what a sporting club ours is with the way Martinez and others were received - and the scarfs from all clubs all over the world on the pitch in the shape of 96. In short it was all that is good about the football family. It was also good to see the number of items like scarves, shirts ...etc from other clubs near the Hillsborough memorial. Well done to the fans who left them.

Roberto Martinez, Trevor Hicks, Margaret Aspinall, Brendan and Andy Burnham all spoke really well and YNWA was awesome.

I also loved the way KD was praised by both Brendan and Andy Burnham and the reception to this from the crowd was deafening - it gives the lie to anyone who suggests that there is any kind of rift between KD and BR - which has been hinted at in these boards recently. Also it shows what 'his people' think of him - and I am sure that is all that matters to him, a CFC fan calling him a dinosaur on DS prob does not cut much ice. Lol.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been to the service today - very moving.

Ours is a special special club is the truth - the LFC family was very much in evidence with the current squad (all the first team, the reserves and youngsters, ladies team + staff), ex players and staff (Kenny, Rushie , Thommo, Carra, Cally, Didi, Souness, Aldo David Johnson, Ron Yeats were just some of those I saw) and of course the 96 families all there.

It was also nice to see what a sporting club ours is with the way Martinez and others were received - and the scarfs from all clubs all over the world on the pitch in the shape of 96. In short it was all that is good about the football family. It was also good to see the number of items like scarves, shirts ...etc from other clubs near the Hillsborough memorial. Well done to the fans who left them.

Roberto Martinez, Trevor Hicks, Margaret Aspinall, Brendan and Andy Burnham all spoke really well and YNWA was awesome.

I also loved the way KD was praised by both Brendan and Andy Burnham and the reception to this from the crowd was deafening - it gives the lie to anyone who suggests that there is any kind of rift between KD and BR - which has been hinted at in these boards recently. Also it shows what 'his people' think of him - and I am sure that is all that matters to him, a CFC fan calling him a dinosaur on DS prob does not cut much ice. Lol.

Glad it was a good day Alan, if that's the right phrase to use.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I watched on TV and it was a poignant yet fitting service. As Alan says, everyone spoke well and I found Martinez's words particularly moving when he quoted Bill Kenwright on the authorities taking on the wrong city. Everton's commitment to stand by LFC and even erect a memorial plaque of their own is indicative of the unity between the clubs now on this issue. There were even touching tributes from other clubs such as Manchester City fans releasing 96 red balloons outside the Etihad at 15:07 with the names of the deceased on them.

I'm confident justice is on the horizon for those affected when 96 lives were tragically lost. YNWA
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    At the inquest I am sure many who have been following it know that there have been 'pen pictures' of the victims - I am finding this so poignant - making 96 not just a number but giving everyone a realisation that behind the number is 96 real people with real lives.

What I would now love is for those pen pictures to be made into a book and sold with the profits going to the families and the campaign. I'd buy it - tho every family would have to agree for it to happen.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people realise there could have been another "Hillsborough disaster" 8 years before this one but involving Spurs supporters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzH...e_gdata_player

I was about 14 stone at the time and 6 feet tall and my feet never touched the ground as I went in!! And again the police and the media at the time blamed the supporters!!!

Obviously they never learnt from that.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Do people realise there could have been another "Hillsborough disaster" 8 years before this one but involving Spurs supporters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzH...e_gdata_player

I was about 14 stone at the time and 6 feet tall and my feet never touched the ground as I went in!! And again the police and the media at the time blamed the supporters!!!

Obviously they never learnt from that.

The Hillsborough stadium has been the site of a near disaster at least 3 times before 1989 (1957 - Man Utd, Spurs 1981, Leeds 1987). That is actually the biggest scandal of all for me. The FA knew it was a potential death trap and the FA continued to sanction its use for Cup semi-finals.

Also every time the side with the biggest support base was given the Leppings Lane end which had the smaller capacity.
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very emotional day today, as it always is.

Looking back 5, 10 years, you can see the change in attitude towards the events of that day.

Due to the inquest, I am not going to go into detail, as to be honest I am not sure what can and can't be talked about.

But credit has to be given to the family members who never have up. Those who always pushed the authorities to reveal the truth.

Also, a massive, massive thank you to those tireless campaigners and those who have supported the campaign.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else watching the Hillsborough documentary currently being shown on ESPN in America?

No doubt it will available in the usual places shortly after it finishes for those who want to watch it.

I doubt it will tell people anything that they didn't aready know but it is a difficult documentary to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very upsetting it was to watch the memorial services. My cousin was at the game and luckily came home not so for people my brother knew. Hopefully justice will come for the victims.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the Hillsborough documentary currently being shown on ESPN in America?

No doubt it will available in the usual places shortly after it finishes for those who want to watch it.

I doubt it will tell people anything that they didn't aready know but it is a difficult documentary to watch.

I stayed up until 3am watching it online. Was very, very good - ESPN and the BBC did a fantastic job with it. The unseen footage they used was very disturbing to watch though... I'll admit I did struggle with it at times.

Apparently the BBC will show it in the UK next year once the inquest is at a more advanced stage.
This discussion has been closed.