In British sexism more 'more "in your face" than in other countries' ?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    The whole LAD thing is more prevalent here than overseas and some aspects of that are pretty sexist and a bit rude.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the gym at the bottom of my road.

We should probably ban men's and women's changing rooms too, as they are clearly sexist. As a man I shouldn't be excluded from women's changing rooms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    We should probably ban men's and women's changing rooms too, as they are clearly sexist. As a man I shouldn't be excluded from women's changing rooms.

Changing room and general discussion forums are completely two different things. You can't compare the fact that it is UNCOMFORTABLE for women change around men. You really think women likes men to see their privates and what not. This is from my experience talking to my girl friends.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she must of got her job because of a quota - or who is her family / lover?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    The Royal & Ancient golf club in St. Andrews are apparently looking at allowing women to join the club from October (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10724047/Women-to-be-allowed-to-join-Royal-and-Ancient-Golf-Club-after-250-year-wait.html).

Y'see, this is what happens when you give them the vote...:p
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a woman, where in the world would I rather live?

A) Britain
    B) Afganistan
    C) Africa

Hmmmm, tough one...

I can understand her dislike of page 3 etc and we do need more women in Government but overall, Britain is doing much better with women's rights than most countries.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »
    I read it earlier today.

Originally she was quoted as saying Britain was among the worst in the world regarding sexism. While their are still issues, the UK is in the top 20 for best countries regarding women's rights.

Regarding the media she admitted that she had not seen those websites and TV channels, but came to the conclusion based on what some people had told her.

I guess the (unsubstantiated) point she was trying to make is that there's a difference between legal equality and cultural sexism? We may be good for one, but bad for the other.

I'm not certain myself having never experienced another country deeply enough to understand feelings about gender, but this country does have a large amount of pathetic attitudes to gender hanging around in the media.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the (unsubstantiated) point she was trying to make is that there's a difference between legal equality and cultural sexism? We may be good for one, but bad for the other.
    But we are hardly the worst at that either which is fairly obvious if you just walk around bring female in a couple of countries. It might also then occur to this idiot that there are more sexualised images of women in the UK because it is one if this'd countries where women can comfortably express their sexuality, talk about it and comment about it and comment about people talking too much about it.... in a variety of press and media platforms press. She's a total idiot.

Yes lads culture can be alienating but it isn't pervasive - it's on of many sub-cultures