Options

Most Effective Post War Chancellor of the Exchequer

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
Who do you think is the best or most effective post war chancellor of the exchequer?

execution of that roll only. some have gone on to other jobs for which they may be better known.

poll is anon.

Who was/is the most effective or best chancellor 103 votes

George Osborne
10% 11 votes
Alistair Darling
8% 9 votes
Gordon Brown
32% 33 votes
Kenneth Clarke
12% 13 votes
Norman Lamont
0% 1 vote
John Major
2% 3 votes
Nigel Lawson
22% 23 votes
Sir Geoffrey Howe
3% 4 votes
Denis Healey
0% 0 votes
Anthony Barber
0% 1 vote
Iain Macleod
0% 0 votes
Roy Jenkins
0% 1 vote
James Callaghan
0% 1 vote
Reginald Maudling
0% 0 votes
Selwyn Lloyd
0% 0 votes
Derick Heathcoat-Amory
1% 2 votes
Peter Thorneycroft
0% 0 votes
Harold Macmillan
0% 0 votes
R. A. Butler
0% 0 votes
Hugh Gaitskell
0% 0 votes
Hugh Dalton
0% 1 vote
Sir John Anderson
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Someone voted for gordon brown?

i maybe wasn't clear about the question. by what metric could have be described as the most effective?
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

i maybe wasn't clear about the question. by what metric could have be described as the most effective?

Well it wasn't me because I haven't voted yet but.....

According to this poll Gordon Brown is second best Chancellor after Kenneth Clarke.

Osborne is in 14th place
    Best Chancellor of the Exchequer (in post-war Britain)

Who has been the best Chancellor in post-war Britain? Who has been the best manager of the country's financial affairs? 'The Chancellor of the Exchequer' is the title held by the British minister responsible for all economic and financial matters. The Chancellor has a similar role to the posts of Minister of Finance or Secretary of the Treasury in other nations. Britain has had 21 post war chancellors, 4 of whom have gone on to become prime minister. Who has been Britain's best money man?

http://www.rankopedia.com/Best-Chancellor-of-the-Exchequer-%28in-post-war-Britain%29/Step1/18158/.htm
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Where's Stafford Cripps?
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

Its now two votes for Brown !

I didn't know Gordon Brown and Ed Balls were members of this forum :D
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it wasn't me because I haven't voted yet but.....

According to this poll Gordon Brown is second best Chancellor after Kenneth Clarke.

Osborne is in 14th place

out of 32 votes :D
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    What about Mr Cripps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Mr Cripps?

The yellow robot from catchphrase?
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Britain had its longest ever unbroken run of economic growth while Brown was at No. 11 and unemployment was sustained at its lowest levels since the mid 1970s. Even George and Dave were fans at one point, they even promised to match Brown's spending plans in early 2007. :D

Yes it all ended in tears but all economic booms do, look at what happened after the Lawson and Barber booms.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Britain had its longest ever unbroken run of economic growth while Brown was at No. 11 and unemployment was sustained at its lowest levels since the mid 1970s. Even George and Dave were fans at one point, they even promised to match Brown's spending plans in early 2007. :D

Yes it all ended in tears but all economic booms do, look at what happened after the Lawson and Barber booms.
    Now Labour are doing the same with Osborne's plans. Funny old world, isn't it?

What a pity Brown's claim of no more return to boom and bust was nothing but smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If someone would have told brown that.

End to boom and bust.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone voted Osborne!!:o
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

End to boom and bust.

At least everyone's in agreement that Osborne's little housing bubble fudge is going to pop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    At least everyone's in agreement that Osborne's little housing bubble fudge is going to pop.

What are you talking about?
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems Osborne is not getting too many votes.

If the poll were changed to ask if people thought he was a maggot, he would be flying.:D
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

End to boom and bust.

Maybe, but I don't think Gordon was the only one who deluded themselves into thinking the boom could last forever, hence George's foolish promise in 2007. In fact prior to Northern Rock collapsing I can barely recall any doom or gloom in the media or elsewhere about the state of the economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you talking about?
    ...Willis :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    Seems Osborne is not getting too many votes.

If the poll were changed to ask if people thought he was a maggot, he would be flying.:D

What do you mean George Osbourne is a maggot? I don't get the comparison?

You know this poll is about all the post east chancellors? What made you single out George Osborne? Do you think he's the best post war chancellor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, but I don't think Gordon was the only one who deluded themselves into thinking the boom could last forever, hence George's foolish promise in 2007. In fact prior to Northern Rock collapsing I can barely recall any doom or gloom in the media or elsewhere about the state of the economy.
    That was the problem. There was plenty of doom and gloom in the economic press and on this site but it went unnoticed. I was called a doom sayer on more than one occasion (although Jonah was my favourite nom de plume of the time).

IIRC, the Conservative mantra was "share the proceeds of growth" for much of the time. It was foolish (and I said it at the time) but it was not unalloyed praise of Brown's policies. Far from it.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question should have asked who the worst was, there would only be about three votes cast by now.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has to be Brown. Money is the root of all evil. Therefore Brown dispelled evil by getting rid of all that nasty money (and gold). But don't try and thank him for spending thirteen years relieving you of your burden. He's far too selfless for that, he insists that the credit should rest entirely with the banks and that he had nothing to do with the managing of the economy at all.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    I still want to know why Cripps is missing from the list.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still want to know why Cripps is missing from the list.

I'll send out a search party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    has to be Brown. Money is the root of all evil. Therefore Brown dispelled evil by getting rid of all that nasty money (and gold). But don't try and thank him for spending thirteen years relieving you of your burden. He's far too selfless for that, he insists that the credit should rest entirely with the banks and that he had nothing to do with the managing of the economy at all.

The love of money is the root of all evil, if you use the correct quote, the meaning is significantly different.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean George Osbourne is a maggot? I don't get the comparison?

You know this poll is about all the post east chancellors? What made you single out George Osborne? Do you think he's the best post war chancellor?

He just reminds me of a maggot, it is no biggie. No more than IDS reminds me of a leech and Alex Salmond is a turd.

It isn't personal.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, I couldn't have been more surprised if a spaceship just landed in my garden :o I know what I would like to do with prudence..... In relation to pensions, the latest Chancellor giveth whilst Gordon taketh away... >:(