HMRC to sell taxpayers' data

jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/18/hmrc-to-sell-taxpayers-data

An interesting one as I wonder where the public benefits would be. I do remember reading in Sweden that you can see anyones tax record if you want to and that keeps people honest although that is slightly different from what is being proposed.

Do we believe that the Government/HMRC can keep it anonymised and choose the companies buying the data being restricted to the public good?

Should people's dealings with HMRC and the tax they pay be open to scrutiny to any member of the British public? Should I have the right to be able to see how much tax my next door neighbour pays compared to his earnings?

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/18/hmrc-to-sell-taxpayers-data

An interesting one as I wonder where the public benefits would be. I do remember reading in Sweden that you can see anyones tax record if you want to and that keeps people honest although that is slightly different from what is being proposed.

Do we believe that the Government/HMRC can keep it anonymised and choose the companies buying the data being restricted to the public good?

Should people's dealings with HMRC and the tax they pay be open to scrutiny to any member of the British public? Should I have the right to be able to see how much tax my next door neighbour pays compared to his earnings?

It says that the data would be anonymised so you wouldn't be able to compare your earnings with anyone else's.

But I cannot see this happening. It is a totally unacceptable idea imo.
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    It says that the data would be anonymised so you wouldn't be able to compare your earnings with anyone else's.

Its not unacceptable because it already happens in a non-profit making way, but it depends if its done for a singular person or a range of person data. Working in a department which also deals with anonymised data, it something which is more than workable. Its second nature to us, as its the nature of our work, and the data cannot be traced back to any one person, or small group of people, and doesn't include data such as postcodes for example.

We don't sell it though, but people who balk at the idea shouldn't. After all, departmental budgets are being cut (and I mean, drastically cut, we haven't got money ro run most of our planned projects this year), and the departments still need to operate. One idea which has been put about amongst governmental departments is to see how you can raise your own funds, so no surprise to see this idea aired. As I said, it depends on the data itself on whether its a good thing or not. Range of person data, no problem, but singular person data, more problematical.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh brilliant first the care.data fiasco now we have the tax.data fiasco to look forward to
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can anyone now doubt that these particular people in government are corrupt?

It's been all about feathering their own nest, and helping their friends get rich. With no concern whatsoever about what is best for the UK, the UK economy or even what is best for the Conservative party.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's excellent news and should generate a lot of cash to help fix the deficit.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I don't have a problem with the releasing anonymised and aggregated data.

the problem is data is rarely as anonymised as people think.

Closeted lesbian sues Netflix for privacy invasion
    'Brokeback Mountain factor'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/21/netflix_privacy_flap/

Basically Netflix released some anonymised data that was intended to be used to help people design an algorithm that would improve their 'recommended for you' suggestions. problem was some security researchers discovered that by comparing to the timings of IMDB ratings they could work out who the people actually were.

in essence it is very often possible to compare anonymised data to other data sets and find a correlation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Various datasets cross-compared gives you details of individuals, that's what private firms are after of course. Marketing and such like.

It won't be anonymous at all. Why would private firms have any interest in that?
    No true Conservative would betray the country so comprehensively as these people in power keep doing. They more remind me of the New Labour crowd, taken to extremes.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

It really grinds my gears that the gov. flog off personal data about us to anyone with the readies.
    It already happens with the DVLA, where if you don't supply the information to them, you are breaking the law.
    Now they want to flog off NHS data about us all, and now HMRC.

Are meant accept an assurance from the gov. that such information will not make any one identifiable and that gov. departments are very secure in looking after sensitive data.

It's not like it's been found in park bins or strewn across a roundabout before is it?

I forgte the figures on how many gov.laptops have been lost and stolen, but it's a fair few.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything the Government won't sell off to the private sector?

May as well just privatise the House of Commons and House of Lords and have it all over and done with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are thieves. Criminals.

About time people realised this. Our government are corrupt like never before.

Labour are merely quasi-fascists led by a man made of cardboard. That's a step up in my view.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On radio4 at 6pm, it was suggested that local councils would be interested in Corporation Tax paid in their area. Where there is low CT, then Councils could increase non business spend
    I didn't realise there was a direct correlation between CT and a company's activities nor that Companies were only financed by equity.
  • quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people think that any of your data is anonymised or pseudo-anonymised, you really need to watch the HOC Health Committee of many examples that they can identify individuals.

See:
    http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=15289

Yes its a long vid, but interesting and an eye opener.

This is why release of data, be it health or HMRC. The more data out their the easier it is.