Options

Lib Dems in Scottish meltdown

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Latest poll has them slumping to 8%. If the Scottish parliament general election was held now they would be down to 9 MSPs only.

The LD Scottish leadership is desperately trying to distance themselves from their Westminster colleagues but it won't wash. They have lost all integrity. Such is the fate of collaborationists. :sleep:

Comments

• Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are screwed in Scotland, and hell mend them.

Jo Swinson will need her Lib Dem boyfriend to be the breadwinner in a few years.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    They've been going backwards for several years now.and haven't achieved much under Nicol Stephen and Tavish Scott since 2007 - the SNP have stolen much of their ground in the centre. Locally the Lib Dems have been responsible for a number of disasters (Edinburgh and Aberdeen in particular).

But they may well hold on to most of their seats (many of which are in historically Tory/Liberal areas, especially in the Highlands and islands where incumbents enjoy a huge advantage, with the loss of votes mainly being in the constituencies where they're second, third or fourth, and the regional list of course. Labour are currently hoovering up the anti-SNP vote but once the campaign starts and the spotlight is on Iain Gray, they may hit some roadbumps.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Gray is an unelectable tool. And I say that as Labour Party member. He's an electoral liability.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Serves them right. They took the short-term opportunity without thinking of the long-term consequences.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Tory-Lliberal marginals might be their only hope. Can't see much hope in Liberal- Labour marginals or university towns.

Similarly if I was a Labour strategist, I would be looking at Kent and Essex which seems to be losing out heavily on education and policing and the rest of the London train commuter belt paying inflated fars on falling incomes - there's enough seats there to move close to pssing the Conservatives.
  • Options
    SPniSPni Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Iain Gray is an unelectable tool. And I say that as Labour Party member. He's an electoral liability.

Iain Gray is an idiot. He has nothing about him whatsoever. He's just irritatingly plain.
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only place they'll keep holding will be the highlands who still haven't realised labour took over from the liberals as the main tory opposition party in the 20s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are going out..............and they are dropping % fast.......8% ouch....Clegg must be so proud
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the link to the Scotsman/YouGov poll:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Spending-review-poll-Labour-ahead.6592009.jp
    The poll also offers stark evidence that the Lib Dems are being punished over their decision to enter a coalition with the Conservatives. The Lib Dems earn just 8 per cent on both the constituency and list vote, a drop of 4 per cent in just two months.

The sudden fall in Lib Dem support could leave the party with only nine MSPs at Holyrood, down from the current 16, if replicated next May.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,259
    Forum Member
    SPni wrote: »
    Iain Gray is an idiot. He has nothing about him whatsoever. He's just irritatingly plain.
    He is a total fool. I was really quite shocked when they elected him, especially after his (then recent) performance on Newsnight re: Wendygate.

See his whole sweaty, stammering showstopper here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AQe5AXxnU

Please let this man never be our country's leader.
  • Options
    JazzyPJazzyP Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chief wrote: »
    He is a total fool. I was really quite shocked when they elected him, especially after his (then recent) performance on Newsnight re: Wendygate.

See his whole sweaty, stammering showstopper here;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AQe5AXxnU

Please let this man never be our country's leader.

Admittedly I am not a big follower of the ins and outs of Scottish politics but came across as a total idiot.
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Gray is an unelectable tool.

But as sure as night follows day, he will be elected in May :sleep:
  • Options
    ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a sentiment with which very few people would disagree; he appears to have no policies to call his own and, to make matters worse, his stance on many of the SNP's key policies appears to vary depending on which day of the week he's asked...
    The leader of Labour’s Holyrood group was speaking on Radio Scotland yesterday when he was asked about his party’s stance in many areas including council tax and prescription charges.

On the council tax freeze Mr Gray revealed: “We’ve never been opposed to the idea of a council tax freeze…” Mr Gray added: “A national freeze has to be properly funded, if that’s not the case then the consequences will be serious.”

The admission from the Labour leader that his party has no objection in principle to a freeze is at odds with recent comments from senior Scottish Labour figures who have attacked the SNP’s proposed freeze saying that it is undemocratic and benefits the rich.

Mr Gray was then asked whether he supported the SNP’s policy of removing prescription charges and answered: “Prescription charges? - yeh”.

This unambiguous backing for one of the SNP’s key election pledges will come as a shock to his health spokesperson Jackie Baillie who only last week had attacked the SNP plan saying: "We need to seriously consider if this is the right priority at this time." Ms Baillie had added: "This policy will cost £40 million - that is 1,500 nurses that won't be in Scottish hospitals next year."

http://newsnetscotland.com/politics/852-iain-gray-labour-not-opposed-to-council-tax-freeze#comments