Options

Is 3 really that bad of a network?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm considering cancelling my T Mobile contract, and switching over to 3 for the iPhone 4S because they seem to have the best deal for money.

However, I've been told by 2 seperate people that 3 is a really shoddy network. One told me that her signal drops, if she's out of London. Now I rarely leave the city, so are the network issues that much of a big deal?

Also, how do I go about bringing my number to a different network?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three have the best 3G network, however they have no 2G network. This means that where other networks would drop down to 2G to extend coverage, Three can't do this.

In practice, I have found that this doesn't really matter - and the positives (price & 3g experience) far outweigh the negatives.

Most of the bad feedback about the network is from when it first launched, since then it has made great strides to increase coverage.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've not had a problem with 3 apart from it not liking Milton Keynes. It has worked everywhere else I have visited.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Wilt said
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I believe 3 can piggybag onto Orange/T-Mobile when the 3G signal is too weak, but in reality I've only been a couple of places without great signal on 3. Just outside Halifax was a no-go, however the middle of nowhere in North Wales was absolutely fine.

They are cheaper and better value than any other network and are pretty much the only network that realises that smartphones require internet capacity - my £18 pm contract gets me 5000 texts, 300 minutes and unlimited internet, which truly is unlimited. No-one else even tries to match that
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three are awful, they dared to innovate with things like the One Plan and give customers more and faster data for the same money. They campaigned against abuse of the meaning of the word "unlimited". The bloody cheek of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounding like a good deal then... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    The are fine as long as you don't need to call their customer services. I was on to them for 50 minutes today going round in circles, then finally got transferred to a UK call centre and the call then dropped
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 for 3 here
  • Options
    sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Three internet is NOT CAPPED its unlimited

i have got 3 and never had any trouble from them apart from today the network as gone down were i live

As far as i know 3 use T+Mobile 3G signal and they use to get there 2G form Orange
    For some reason Orange has turn the 2G off from 3 so all they get is 3G now

They are still the best for there network.
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 3 were the only mobile operator in the uk I would not have a mobile phone anymore

Pony
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy on 3. Get great signal out and about. The only time I have no signal is when I'm in big buildings like the supermarket or indoor shopping centres.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I've been with three for about 7 years now and not had any problems, apart from those third party companies that pretend to be three at upgrade/contract renewal time.
    Its swings and roundabouts with signal as just like any network, some places have black spots but on the whole the coverage I find is pretty good indeed.
    My work mobile is with vodaphone and that seems to suffer more signal issues than my three signal, but does of coarse depend on where I am at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Just done this speed test with iPhone 4S on 3 - over 9 meg download

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/156817849.png
  • Options
    Kopite76Kopite76 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Three are awful in my area. Signal drops out nearly everywhere along the north east coast.

I phoned to complain but all I got was £5 rental discount, which is a joke.

I went with them due to being cheapest but remember - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well looks like I shouldn't have bothered to make this thread!

For some unknown reason, going through mobiles co uk and quidco, three declined my application deeming credit score as the reason.

Weird because I have had no problem with my credit before :rolleyes:

Tried the next best deal which is with Orange, was approved (quelle surprise) but I'm on back order due to no stock.

Hope the iPhone is worth it, I hate waiting! :D
  • Options
    Kopite76Kopite76 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    call it fate (or a lucky escape) mate!