Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »
    Boris is a husky cross
    His tail is amazing to see as it's all fluffy
    on the lead is a night mare

Kobi is a nightmare on the lead, on the advice of other husky owners we bought a walk your dog with love lead, it is a harness that is very simple to fit, it gives you steering on your dog from the front like a horses bridle, Kobi still pulls a little but he's so much easier to keep in check now when previously it seemed impossible. The only point is that I tuck a long lead onto his collar as a safety net as I'm not convinced he couldn't get out o the harness, I tuck it loosely round my wrist so that if h did get out of the harness he's still on the lead.

Clever little scamps aren't they!

Google walk your dog with love if you are interested, came from US and took less than a week to arrive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    BZR wrote: »
    Because, smart alec, our workplace is accomodating and we can bring them with us if we like or failing that my house is less than 10 minutes away, our lodger can see to them during the day if need be.

He he :D Glad they aren't left alone all day then.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    pasodaisy wrote: »
    Kobi is a nightmare on the lead, on the advice of other husky owners we bought a walk your dog with love lead, it is a harness that is very simple to fit, it gives you steering on your dog from the front like a horses bridle, Kobi still pulls a little but he's so much easier to keep in check now when previously it seemed impossible. The only point is that I tuck a long lead onto his collar as a safety net as I'm not convinced he couldn't get out o the harness, I tuck it loosely round my wrist so that if h did get out of the harness he's still on the lead.

Clever little scamps aren't they!

Google walk your dog with love if you are interested, came from US and took less than a week to arrive.

thank you so much for that adive it's getting to the point where I can't handle him on the lead
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huskies with blue eyes look a bit unusual. you can actually have one blue and one brown eye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huskies with blue eyes look a bit unusual. you can actually have one blue and one brown eye.

Kobi has one brown eye, the other is half brown/half blue which is very odd, he is a beautiful boy, very loving and currently thankfully tired out from morning trek and breakfast!
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cedric11 wrote: »
    He he :D Glad they aren't left alone all day then.

The maximum time they are alone is 4 hours, however we tend to just bring them to work as its near a river and plenty of fields so might aswell come then as soon as we finish take them a walk before home.
    Forum Member
    I cant leave boris more than a hour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »
    I cant leave boris more than a hour

Akuma our first dog had terrible separation anxiety and once we brought him home we literally started leaving him for about 10 minutes at a time and building it up slowly. We discovered the kong toy and put a filling in then put it in the freezer, this kept him occupied for ages then he had a nap cos it was hard work!

Whenever we came home (we do same now) we didn't acknowledge or look at the dog, we went about getting coats off, putting shopping away etc and acknowledged him in a calm manner once he had calmed down, this took a while but his separation anxiety got alot better.
    Forum Member
    that sounds like a good idea
    he just goes mental when we out he rips everything up
    Forum Member
    Akuma our first dog had terrible separation anxiety and once we brought him home we literally started leaving him for about 10 minutes at a time and building it up slowly. We discovered the kong toy and put a filling in then put it in the freezer, this kept him occupied for ages then he had a nap cos it was hard work!

Whenever we came home (we do same now) we didn't acknowledge or look at the dog, we went about getting coats off, putting shopping away etc and acknowledged him in a calm manner once he had calmed down, this took a while but his separation anxiety got alot better.

Very Victoria Stilwell of you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very Victoria Stilwell of you :D

Eh? Who's that?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they particularly 'mouthy'?

I've come across a few and they seem a bit aloof until given a fuss, then they seem to get a bit over excited and 'mouth' - all in play, no malice at all. But is it a breed trait? Or am I just tasty?:D

Unless I'm with my dogs - then they seem to just want to play. They also seem to have the worst selective hearing of any dog except maybe Beagles.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huskies do mouth during play, in my experience they will get as rough as you do however mouthing outside of play I believe I've read is a dominance trait.

Our old boy would get rough with our 6ft son but was as gentle as could be with the toddlers who visited.

All huskies I've met have selective hearing lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huskies do mouth during play, in my experience they will get as rough as you do however mouthing outside of play I believe I've read is a dominance trait.

Our old boy would get rough with our 6ft son but was as gentle as could be with the toddlers who visited.

Never met a 'bad' Husky I have to say - well mannered if exhuberant at the slightest encouragement to a one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never met a 'bad' Husky I have to say - well mannered if exhuberant at the slightest encouragement to a one.

The foster home we got Kobi from had another foster husky, he attacked the guy when he was first taken there (he races/trains them) and said in all his years he'd never seen one like it. Badly treated I think :(

Mine is currently lying asleep with his head hanging right over his basket lol, if I move he will get whiplash thinking I might be going to the kitchen :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The foster home we got Kobi from had another foster husky, he attacked the guy when he was first taken there (he races/trains them) and said in all his years he'd never seen one like it. Badly treated I think :(

Mine is currently lying asleep with his head hanging right over his basket lol, if I move he will get whiplash thinking I might be going to the kitchen :D

lol - My most hairless Chinese Crested has made a nest out of my dressing gown, my other CC is asleep in his crate and my terrier is curled up in the arm chair with his blankie. If I move, they'll all spring to life thinking I'm off to the Kitchen:D

Sad about the rescue Husky though. I've come across a fair few and each has been very sweet natured. Must have been very scared to turn like that:(
    Forum Member
    Eh? Who's that?

She is a dog trainer who has a program on the TV called 'It's me or the dog.' The techniques you describe are the ones she would use, as oppose to the Cesar Milan techniques.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ours was very gentle - her milk teeth were like tiny needles, but her second teeth a lot larger.

she was as kind as anything, until she was fed. if you approached her when she had food, she hunkered down, her hackles rose, and she was what you imagined a wolf would be like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a dog trainer who has a program on the TV called 'It's me or the dog.' The techniques you describe are the ones she would use, as oppose to the Cesar Milan techniques.

I've picked up advice over the years from other dog owners etc, will have to watch out for her.
    Forum Member
    boris seems calm down today
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - did you manage to persuade your BF that it was a bad idea in the end?