Options

What Classic Who DVD's did you get for Xmas?

Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
Forum Member
✭✭
Happy New Year y'all!
I got a load of classic Who DVD's for Xmas and am working my way through the extras just now. They were:
Key to Time box set
E-space box set (always loved State of Decay)
Myths and Legends box set
City of Death & Attack of the Cybermen.

Seen the first 2 episodes of Underworld and quite enjoyed them - not nearly as bad as their reputation. Great pairing of 4th Dr and Leela makes up for any production shortcomings.

There's an amazing documentary about the whole of the Williams era on the Ribos Operation disc too.

My questions are - what classic Who dvd's did you get for Xmas and what do you think of the stories / their extras?

Comments

• Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over Xmas I got Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks, Planet of Evil, Image of The Fendahl, the Dominators and I bought the Invasion.

I haven't watched them all yet. :D

Planet of Evil was always a fave of mine and I enjoyed Fendahl, as I couldn't remember it. The Invasion is worth getting, great animated episodes.
    I've watched the first three parts of Frontier in Space.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, The Dominators. Taking over the world, by frightening people with your huge shoulder pads ...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember having it on VHS and it was fairly dire. Still, it's made my son a fan of Troughton. He's watched my pressies before I have. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Ah, The Dominators. Taking over the world, by frightening people with your huge shoulder pads ...........

Are you sure that's not your Dynasty dvd's you've been watching instead?:D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »

There is a guy near me who looks like a Dominator. I can't stop laughing when I see him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be worse for the dude, he could look like a Quark! Or worse, a Chumblie (although most of the female guests on Jeremy Kyle are built like one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got "Farewell Great Macedon","The Fragile Yellow Ark of Fragrance " and "Kiss Of Death".

I didn't get any DVDs.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TFYAoF is the best Who title ever. What the hell is it actually about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shane54 wrote: »
    TFYAoF is the best Who title ever. What the hell is it actually about?

It is sad and about love and death.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Colony In Space

It's weird seeing Gail from Coronation Street and the voice of Zippy and George acting together :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colony in Space gets a bit of a kicking from the fans but I saw it years ago on UK Gold and quite liked it.
    I thought the different Uxaerians were quite imaginative (okay, a bit dodgy in the actual realisation, but hey it was the early 70's!)

Would like it when it's going for about a fiver on Amazon. Is the 'making of' documentary any good?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Colony in Space gets a bit of a kicking from the fans but I saw it years ago on UK Gold and quite liked it.
    I thought the different Uxaerians were quite imaginative (okay, a bit dodgy in the actual realisation, but hey it was the early 70's!)

Would like it when it's going for about a fiver on Amazon. Is the 'making of' documentary any good?

I haven't watched it all yet but the "Making of.." starts with an animated recruitment commercial for IMC :D
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have all of them already, except for Revisitations 2. I pondered it in a sale (30 quid instead of 40), but decided against. I don't want the extra Extras that much!

There is a guy near me who looks like a Dominator. I can't stop laughing when I see him.
    Could be worse for the dude, he could look like a Quark! Or worse, a Chumblie (although most of the female guests on Jeremy Kyle are built like one).

I look a bit like a Quark. My legs are as short 9but my legs are bandier than Quark legs).

Are you sure that's not your Dynasty dvd's you've been watching instead?:D

Ooh. Dynasty DVDs would be a perfect Christmas present!

Verence wrote: »
    Colony In Space

It's weird seeing Gail from Coronation Street and the voice of Zippy and George acting together :)

I a one of those who gives Colony a kicking. I utterly hate it. It's the only DVD I haven't watched. I suppose I ought to build up the stamina to give it a go. Helen Worth is wondefully winsome, and of course Tony Caunter is fun. A shame it;s two episodes too long though ... :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I got
    Robots of Death
    Pyramids of Mars and
    The Revisitations box set.

Also got series 6 with the Silent on the front which is really awkward to shelve, the DW Encyclopedia and the Brilliant Book 2012.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    I got
    Robots of Death
    Pyramids of Mars and

Also got series 6 with the Silent on the front which is really awkward to shelve, the DW Encyclopedia and the Brilliant Book 2012.

Spoken like a true Doctor Who fan! :D:D:D;)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Tumpy wrote: »
    I got
    Robots of Death
    Pyramids of Mars
    and

Two of my favourites.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Lost in Time
    Beneath the Surface
    New Beginnings

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost in Time
    Beneath the Surface
    New Beginnings

:)

Some great choices there spanning a good range of the show's history.
    I remember watching Castrovalva as a kid. Although I'd remembered the Pertwee / Baker regeneration I was too young to make anythign of it so this was my first experience of knowing about a new Doctor.
    I always think it's a little underrated gem - quite a brave way to start a new Doctor's era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished watching Frontier in Space. A bit slow, but not a bad Pertwee story. Delgado was great as per usual calling the Daleks "Stupid Tin boxes"... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got "Genesis of the Daleks". I'm pretty new to Classic Who DVD collecting, so far I've got "The Beginning" box-set, the "New Beginnings" box-set, "Robot", "The Five Doctors" and "Earthshock" as well as the aforementioned "Genesis". Any recommendations for what to get next would be much appreciated.

:D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Pyramids Of Mars,one of the best classic Who stories IMHO.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None because I can afford to buy them myself on day of release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JG600 wrote: »
    I got "Genesis of the Daleks". I'm pretty new to Classic Who DVD collecting, so far I've got "The Beginning" box-set, the "New Beginnings" box-set, "Robot", "The Five Doctors" and "Earthshock" as well as the aforementioned "Genesis". Any recommendations for what to get next would be much appreciated.

:D

Oh where do you start....
    I'd go for:
    Pertwee - Inferno, Green Death
    T Baker - Seeds of Doom, Robots of Death
    Davison- Mara Boxset

That should keep you entertained for a good while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got The War Games on audiobook. Does that count? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got The War Games on audiobook. Does that count? :(

Yeah, course it does. Come in and join our little club:)

Is it any good?