Options

Any franking machines experts out there?

AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
Forum Member
I've just been handed a franking machine and told to get on with it. My predecessor left in a hurry, although she did show me how to set it up and stamp the envelopes, just wondered if there's anything else I neeed to know?

Don't want to look a wally, as it's been assumed I know what I'm doing.

I don't have to use a specific post box, do I? It seems to suggest you do on the Royal mail site, but I'm not aware of them being taken anywhere other than the nearest box.
Also, is there any reason why I can't prestamp a load of envelopes -is the date any issue?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franked post can go into any normal postbox
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Also, is there any reason why I can't prestamp a load of envelopes -is the date any issue?

Yes, Royal Mail check this and I think will rap your knuckles if you make a habit of it (cos obviously it makes them look bad for delaying the mail).
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    you have to use the seperate boxes for franked mail (normally on industrial estates or near lots of offices) or Royal mail will supply you with bags/trays which they may come and collect or they may ask you to take to the local post office, you can put some franked mail in normal post boxes but it has to be a certain amount/type.

This has more advice http://www.royalmail.com/discounts-payment/franking/franking-help-centre#Prepare
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember by how much, but it's cheaper to use a franking machine than the actual price you'd pay at a Post Office.

Depending where you are, you may find that there is a franked mail only slot in a double post box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should also be weighing all the letters as its common for even small envelopes to go over the normal first class postage weight allowance. So franking a load of envelopes is not advisable. I used to work in a large office and my job was to frank the 200 plus letters that got sent out each day. The machine used to jam a lot and I became an expert on unclogging it. Also the thicker envelopes wont run through the machine, so use the stickers or you are asking for constant jams. Learn how to put more ink in the machine as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »

Don't want to look a wally, as it's been assumed I know what I'm doing.

If you are genuinely not sure what you are doing then you should ask. If I were your boss I would be much less impressed to find out mail had not been posted properly or had been posted with incorrect postage than if you came to me at day 1 and explained you were not 100% certain.

Rather than mess it up or cost your company money, you should double check the process.

Our franking machine is very easy to use, once you know how. However you cannot just put franked post into a normal post box. Our contract specifically says this and you run the risk of your company's post not being sent out at all or being returned to you.

Given that this is one way in which your company faces its clients and/or the Public, you don't want to mess up the postage and possibly have correspondence returned or even worse, have the recipient given the option of paying for any shortfall in your postage!

Someone has already posted the link to the franking site which explains you should not use a normal post box.

If you have a lot of letters the same size, similar weight then pop them all on the scales before doing anything and batch your post into price groups so you can run each group in one go rather than having to change each time you need to change the postage.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you do know how to top up the credit on it don't you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some 'weigh on the way' and will automatically price up each letter. Some don't and you will have to price them up automatically.

If your machine does weigh on the way, then it will have a rates card included which will need regularly updating (whenever Royal Mail change their rates).