Options

FA Cup 5th round TV picks

Comments

• Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely a good thing would be to have Chelsea v Brentford live on either ITV or ESPN on the Saturday lunchtime, so by time, 3pm comes its only the 5th round to be done with.

Chelsea are in Prague on the Thursday before so the match wont be until Sunday
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely a good thing would be to have Chelsea v Brentford live on either ITV or ESPN on the Saturday lunchtime, so by time, 3pm comes its only the 5th round to be done with.

I now theres a blackout from 2:45pm, but when Everton played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in a previous year, that match went to penalties, and carried on way past 2:45 so it coud be done yes

Chelsea play in the Europa League on the previous Thursday, so it won't be on the Saturday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I believe that it will be:

Oldham v Everton ITV 16:00 sun - Liverpool tv ratings and excitement after great game earlier

Man City v Leeds ESPN 14:00 sun - Obviously two big cities so big ratings

Man Utd v Reading ITV 17:15 sat - ITV also want to pick Utd when possible as it will be big ratings

Middlesbrough v Chelsea ESPN - decent game decent pick but why can't Chelsea play the replay between the 2nd and the 9th?

Luton v Millwall ESPN 12:45 sat - history between the clubs, non league team, london ratings
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Middlesbrough v Chelsea ESPN - decent game decent pick but why can't Chelsea play the replay between the 2nd and the 9th?

The same reason no other replays would've taken place then. International friendlies.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal-Blackburn has to be on the Saturday, as Arsenal are in the CL on the following Tuesday.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    When will Middlesborough platy Chelsea/Brentford...could that be shown if Chelsea go through at a later day?

They might not fancy a long mid-week trip up north...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    When will Middlesborough platy Chelsea/Brentford...could that be shown if Chelsea go through at a later day?

They might not fancy a long mid-week trip up north...

It'd have to be Weds 27th Feb
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think:

Oldham v Everton (ITV 4pm Sun)
    Man U v Reading (ESPN 5:30pm Sat)
    Man City v Leeds (ITV 2pm Sun)
    Middlesbrough v Brentford/Chelsea (ESPN midweek)
    Luton v Millwall (ESPN Sat 12:45pm)

Replay: Chelsea v Brentford (ITV Sun 12pm)

But would ITV want to show 3 games in a row on the Sunday? If not:

Middlesbrough v Brentford/Chelsea (ITV midweek)
    Man City v Leeds (ESPN Sun 12/2pm)

Replay: Chelsea v Brentford (ITV Sun 12/2pm)

This is presuming ITV do the right thing and don't pick Man U as 1st pick.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I particularly find the 3 games being played on a day tiresome, I feel the same when Sky do a triple bill super sunday with games kicking off at 12noon, 2pm and 4pm, which today seemed a bit rushed to me.

On a premier league triple header the times are normally 12noon, 2.05pm and 4:10 to allow 5 minutes more time in between
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could show Man City v Leeds on Monday night at 8pm to avoid the need for a double header.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I particularly find the 3 games being played on a day tiresome,

3 games in a day is great, just like watching the world cup, one game after another. as long as its only an occasional thing then I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They could show Man City v Leeds on Monday night at 8pm to avoid the need for a double header.

Doubt it, as Leeds will have to move 1 game as it is, and they're due to play a league game on the Tuesday, they wouldn't accept playing a league game 2 days later on the Wednesday, they wouldn't move their league game to the Thursday as that'd mean moving their next weekend game to the Sunday, and they'll not be happy having to move a game to another midweek given they're already going to have to try and rearrange their game that's due to take place on 5th round weekend to a midweek anyway.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I think:

Man City v Leeds (ITV 2pm Sun)
    Middlesbrough v Brentford/Chelsea (ESPN midweek)

Replay: Chelsea v Brentford (ITV Sun 12pm)

But would ITV want to show 3 games in a row on the Sunday? If not:

Middlesbrough v Brentford/Chelsea (ITV midweek)
    Man City v Leeds (ESPN Sun 12/2pm)

Replay: Chelsea v Brentford (ITV Sun 12/2pm)

This is presuming ITV do the right thing and don't pick Man U as 1st pick.

Arsenal fans will not be happy. being missed again, especially with Man Utd having been on TV in the FA Cup twice..
  • Options
    familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Oldham v Everton match on ESPN maybe Sunday 2pm kick off with Luton v Millwall also on ESPN on Saturday at 5.30pm.

I think ITV will get Man Utd v Reading match with 12.30pm on Saturday and also show Man City v Leeds on Sunday at 4pm.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As like the sunday 4pm slot, is the biggest one for Skys coverage, is the same said for the 4pm slot for the cup
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Please not Utd vs. Reading

A one sided whitewash with players not celebrating scoring goals :yawn::yawn::yawn:

People said that about Brentford v Chelsea and Oldham v Liverpool.
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    That's an exception.

More than likely we're looking at a textbook utd win :yawn:

Reading more concerned with PL survival

You should look at what Reading have done in the FA Cup over the last few seasons - they are definitely a team which wants to go as far as they can in the FA Cup.
    Must be a little bit disappointing for TV broadcasters that Luton have been drawn at home to a championship club.

In the "practice" draw, they were paired with Arsenal. That would have been a much better game.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    1 thing I've just had pointed out to me is that Huddersfield Giants are playing Wigan Warriors in Super League on the Sunday of 5th round weekend. I think they'll be looking for a very quick decision on live TV games, as theretically we (Huddersfield Town) could be picked for TV on the Sunday and so the rugby match has to move to the Friday or Saturday, so obviously they could do with a decision ASAP (ok there's the possiblity that we get chosen for TV on the Sunday but lose the replay, but surely 3-4 days isn't enough notice for them to switch a game from the Sunday to the Friday or Saturday night.

Edit: Should point out the rugby is at our stadium, as would the FA Cup tie if we win the replay.

The rugby won't move, so the FA Cup game would be Friday or Saturday.

...But you have to beat Leicester first.
    As like the sunday 4pm slot, is the biggest one for Skys coverage, is the same said for the 4pm slot for the cup

Saturday 5.20pm is the big slot.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    People said that about Brentford v Chelsea and Oldham v Liverpool.

No they didn't, pretty much everyone recognised that those two games were the best in the draw and perfect TV cup ties.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Saturday 5.20pm is the big slot.

Well, Saturday teatime is the best slot for a terrestrial channel because they can get the big ratings there, but Sunday 4pm is surely the best slot for a subscription channel as on a Saturday they're opposite tougher competition from terrestrial TV.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't ITV have Oldham v Liverpool at Sat 5.20pm?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Saturday teatime is the best slot for a terrestrial channel because they can get the big ratings there, but Sunday 4pm is surely the best slot for a subscription channel as on a Saturday they're opposite tougher competition from terrestrial TV.

Yes, I'd agree with that.

But I think a subscription channel would still regard Sat teatime as a pretty close second.

I think we may well see some strong Sky ratings when they take over the Sat 5.30pm slot next season, especially if they put some high profile games in that slot which seems almost certain.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    No they didn't, pretty much everyone recognised that those two games were the best in the draw and perfect TV cup ties.

I suggest you go through this forum then - lots of people suggesting Oldham would lose by a massive margin.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure why people are finding Chelsea vs Brentford being played on fifth round weekend so difficult to deal with - in 2009 the Arsenal vs Burnley replay was played on the Sunday of sixth round weekend and ITV showed it, and then the winners of that tie in the next round in midweek. Same with ESPN and Chelsea vs Everton in 2011, they showed it live and the winners of that. The same will doubtless be the case here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Leeds fan as long as someone picks City v Leeds I will be happy.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Where's Jim Rosenthal?

I believe that the FA, who produce the draw for ITV, ESPN and their own website, wanted Jim to take a big pay cut and he decided he didn't want to accept it.

I am sure that the City v Leeds game will be shown live, hopefully now on ITV as i have had to cancell my sports subsciptions, although Leeds don't have a good record in FA Cup ties shown on ITV.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    I believe that the FA, who produce the draw for ITV, ESPN and their own website, wanted Jim to take a big pay cut and he decided he didn't want to accept it.

A big pay cut from what?!

It's no wonder there's no money in this country if people get paid tens/hundreds of thousands of pounds for hosting a Cup draw!!