We are the only species who drink another species' milk

Comments

• potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    All living things live off other living things.
    Its the way that nature works.
    Learn some science.

If you're going to tell people what to learn at least learn how to use apostrophes.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    So misleading thread title then. :rolleyes:

What did you think it was about?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    What did you think it was about?

The OP changed it. It started off as something about buying four pints of breast milk at Tesco. Maybe shackfan got his hopes up.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Honey badgers suckle cows milk before they strike their fatal blow.

It is also known for American Eagles to swoop on the land cow and fly off to their lair with them before devouring their tits (and inclusive milk) before eating the meat.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    You know, we are the only species to do a lot of things. That's what makes us so brilliant.

Yeah, the "it's unnatural so we shouldn't do it" argument was made redundant since at the very latest when we were able to write those words down.

And Europeans have evolved to drink cow's milk. Those who couldn't take it, were at a disadvantage, so their genes were less likely to carry on.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Honey badgers suckle cows milk before they strike their fatal blow.

It is also known for American Eagles to swoop on the land cow and fly off to their lair with them before devouring their tits (and inclusive milk) before eating the meat.

Is it wrong to :D at that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was bad for them? Something about lacking enzymes to digest it properly?:confused:

Not true. I asked my vet about it once. Some cats cannot digest it properly (and they will likely throw up if they drink any), but some can. Basically she said that if a cat likes drinking milk then it is OK for them to drink, as they would avoid it if they were intolerant to it.

I've had.cats that love milk, and others that won't touch the stuff.

The one milk that none of them would touch was Whiskas 'cat milk'!
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    No we slaughter them to write in them.
    Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Oops.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is odd that we drink milk from another species that is so different to us.

Primate's Milk is closer to human breast milk because Primates are carried around as newborns like human babies.

Cow's milk is intended for animals that can stand up and move about almost straight after birth so it has different levels of proteins and nutrients to suit a mobile animal.

Having said that an orphaned Lamb would be given formula milk that isn't derived from Cow's milk, yet it's considered ok for babies.
  • BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    I have no allergy to cows milk protein.

Why don't you just campaign to inform those who do to avoid cows milk?

Am I just being immature or...
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is odd that we drink milk from another species that is so different to us.

Primate's Milk is closer to human breast milk because Primates are carried around as newborns like human babies.

Cow's milk is intended for animals that can stand up and move about almost straight after birth so it has different levels of proteins and nutrients to suit a mobile animal.

Having said that an orphaned Lamb would be given formula milk that isn't derived from Cow's milk, yet it's considered ok for babies.

And we all know cow's milk is one of the top 10 causes of death in babies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I've never had time for this claim that drinking cow's milk is unnatural. Drinking cow's milk is as perfectly natural as eating cow flesh.

Back in our hunter gather days, we would have hunted down buffalo or whatever and we would have consumed just about every part of it. The meat, the offal, and yes we would have drunk the milk too.

Do you really think our ancestors would have hunted down a huge wildebeest, eaten only the meat and then chucked away the sweet, white, fresh milk saying it was 'unnatural'? I imagine the milk would actually have been seen as an amazing treat, a gift from the gods even.

What seems unnatural now is that we take milk from cows without actually killing them. We have developed a way to keep the cow alive and keep taking milk from it again and again. That might not happen in nature but that is simply because no other mammal has evolved a method for doing it. Humans do it because we are 'smart' enough to have thought of dairy farming (leaving aside the cruelty question here). If certain species of chimps had evolved alongside certain species of cow, then I think we may well have seen some kind of taking of cow's milk in the wild.

So let's please lose this idea of drinking milk being 'unnatural'. It is as natural to consume as a steak. Humans would have consumed it from the dawn of time. All that's changed is the method we now use to gather it.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I just being immature or...

:confused:What's your point?
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    I have no allergy to cows milk protein.

Was in reply to this
    potatolegs wrote: »
    Most milk intolerance in is due to allergy to cows' milk protein
    This wouldn't happen if we drunk humans' milk.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    I've never had time for this claim that drinking cow's milk is unnatural. Drinking cow's milk is as perfectly natural as eating cow flesh.

Back in our hunter gather days, we would have hunted down buffalo or whatever and we would have consumed just about every part of it. The meat, the offal, and yes we would have drunk the milk too.

Do you really think our ancestors would have hunted down a huge wildebeest, eaten only the meat and then chucked away the sweet, white, fresh milk saying it was 'unnatural'? I imagine the milk would actually have been seen as an amazing treat, a gift from the gods even.

What seems unnatural now is that we take milk from cows without actually killing them. We have developed a way to keep the cow alive and keep taking milk from it again and again. That might not happen in nature but that is simply because no other mammal has evolved a method for doing it. Humans do it because we are 'smart' enough to have thought of dairy farming (leaving aside the cruelty question here). If certain species of chimps had evolved alongside certain species of cow, then I think we may well have seen some kind of taking of cow's milk in the wild.

So let's please lose this idea of drinking milk being 'unnatural'. It is as natural to consume as a steak. Humans would have consumed it from the dawn of time. All that's changed is the method we now use to gather it.

Good post.

I'm not sure why those who believe drinking cows milk is not "right", don't just stop drinking it themselves. Why do they have an opinion and want to take all of us with them?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »

I'd never heard of this 'milk is harmful' idea before today.... but a quick browse around the web made me realise that its quite a popular view, especially with the tin foil hat crew. Lots of misinformation, nonsense and lies on many sites...

Why milk though? Of all the things to ban it seems relatively harmless
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cats suckle off my dog, so this is not true at all.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    My cats suckle off my dog, so this is not true at all.

So does one of mine
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure many women would sign up to replace cows on the milk machines :p

it would be an interesting sight though
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    I'm not sure many women would sign up to replace cows on the milk machines :p

it would be an interesting sight though

You can count me out. Those breast pumps hurt!
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I'd never heard of this 'milk is harmful' idea before today.... but a quick browse around the web made me realise that its quite a popular view, especially with the tin foil hat crew. Lots of misinformation, nonsense and lies on many sites...

Why milk though? Of all the things to ban it seems relatively harmless

Hi IG. There is some question as to why people who eat the most dairy have the most osteoporosis. It should be the opposite. That is not totally tin foil hat. It is not just genetics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Hi IG. There is some question as to why people who eat the most dairy have the most osteoporosis. It should be the opposite. That is not totally tin foil hat. It is not just genetics.

Hey Bolly.. yeah., I've heard something along those lines... but its usually with people whose diet is mostly based on dairy products. As with any food type, too much will generally screw you up. Keep your intake to moderate levels and a glass of milk is better for you than, say, coke
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Hey Bolly.. yeah., I've heard something along those lines... but its usually with people whose diet is mostly based on dairy products. As with any food type, too much will generally screw you up. Keep your intake to moderate levels and a glass of milk is better for you than, say, coke

Give up diet coke? Eek. We need to get 1000 mg a day calcium so that is a lot of dairy. Or tons of green veggies. I still don't understand the negative connection. It is thought to be too much acidic products leeching calcium from the bones but who knows. My boss swears by a supplement that is cow colostrum, says only reason alive to this day.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things I have learned from this thread. Or "rules of Milk Thread Club".

1. People who are allergic to cow's milk should not drink cow's milk.

2. People who are allergic to cow's milk should NOT drink cow's milk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Give up diet coke? Eek. We need to get 1000 mg a day calcium so that is a lot of dairy. Or tons of green veggies. I still don't understand the negative connection. It is thought to be too much acidic products leeching calcium from the bones but who knows. My boss swears by a supplement that is cow colostrum, says only reason alive to this day.

I'd doubt the any lactic acid would get out of the digestive tract... there must be some mechanism though.

Anyway, I like my dairy stuff too much to stop having it for no good reason. Hey, when you were at CU was Toms, the Sienfeld restaurant, there? They make the most awesome milkshakes I've tasted... not giving that up!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're going to tell people what to learn at least learn how to use apostrophes.

If you really have to be pedantic about this stuff, then try to get it right yourself. It looks better that way.
    (or goats if you drink goats milk)