THings about supermarkets you find annoying

ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Probably a topic done to death in the past but having just got back from Tesco I wanted to have a whinge.

Yes I know how handy supermarkets are, all under one roof and so aon, and in general I dont mind using them but a couple of things got my goat today that I have noticed before:

Checkout staff who finger their faces: Seen this a few times, usually a young person, fingers fiddling round their nose or eyes, dometimes chewing their fingers. Then fingers greab my packet of sandwiches, which I will have to hold and open before transferring contents to my mouth. Should I put on gloves to eat?

Charity collectors stationing themselves right at the exit where you can't avoid them. I find this very awkward and embarrassing, you almost feel youi have to have an excuse for not donating.

Moan over.

Comments

• CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people in them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who take up the whole width of the aisle whilst gossiping then look at you as if YOU are rude when you say "excuse me".

When you get used to a Supermarket's layout then they change it all round so you are wandering round in a sea of confusion trying to find the pasta. WHY WHY!!!!

Wobbly squeaky trolley wheels. Grrr....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This irritating habit they have of putting all the new stuff at the back of the nearly out of date stuff (or, as in the case of my local supermarket: out of date stuff) so I have to unoad the lot at the front to get at it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Probably a topic done to death in the past but having just got back from Tesco I wanted to have a whinge.

Yes I know how handy supermarkets are, all under one roof and so aon, and in general I dont mind using them but a couple of things got my goat today that I have noticed before:

Checkout staff who finger their faces: Seen this a few times, usually a young person, fingers fiddling round their nose or eyes, dometimes chewing their fingers. Then fingers greab my packet of sandwiches, which I will have to hold and open before transferring contents to my mouth. Should I put on gloves to eat?

Charity collectors stationing themselves right at the exit where you can't avoid them. I find this very awkward and embarrassing, you almost feel youi have to have an excuse for not donating.

Moan over.

Are you being serious? What do you expect them to do, handle every single item with tongs , despite the fact that it has already got layers of wrapping around it. Do you lick the wrapping of your sandwiches or dispose of it like most people
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    This irritating habit they have of putting all the new stuff at the back of the nearly out of date stuff (or, as in the case of my local supermarket: out of date stuff) so I have to unoad the lot at the front to get at it

Yes, this irritates me too, (even though the reason for it is understandable). I always make a point of tossing the packets of older sausages, bacon etc at the front in an untidy pile all over the place, as I reach into the back for a newer packet. Petty, but it makes me feel I've got one over on them, instead of the other way round. :o
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Checkout staff who finger their faces: Seen this a few times, usually a young person, fingers fiddling round their nose or eyes, dometimes chewing their fingers. .
    david1955 wrote: »
    Are you being serious? What do you expect them to do, handle every single item with tongs , despite the fact that it has already got layers of wrapping around it. Do you lick the wrapping of your sandwiches or dispose of it like most people

As a checkout operator, I have put my fingers up to my nose, and even my eyes, but never chewed my fingers

What do you expect us to do, Im sitting there for at least 4 hours before a break, and in that time, my nose or even my eyes get itchy, so you have to do something

If your a customer, and you have an itchy nose what do you do, and then how often do you wash your hands, you probably dont think about it

Now sometime we have hand santitisers at the till, if you can find one, and if there one I will use it to clean my hands
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Yes, this irritates me too, (even though the reason for it is understandable). I always make a point of tossing the packets of older sausages, bacon etc at the front in an untidy pile all over the place, as I reach into the back for a newer packet. Petty, but it makes me feel I've got one over on them, instead of the other way round. :o

You are my soul-mate shopper - I wasn't going to admit that I also do that but now you have, I shall be braver about it :D

I make up for it by not eating grapes I haven't paid for ;)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Moan over.

What about one of the dirtest things there touched by thousands and never knowing were its been MONEY
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »

Rather better than just letting a load of perfectly good food go to waste, don't you think? The shelves have to be restocked, it makes perfect sense to stick the stuff with a longer shelf-life at the back.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Moan over.

You could always use the self service tills, t
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People without children (or with older children) who park in parent and toddler spaces.:mad:
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of sainsburys only opening half their tills, so everyone is squashed together. Whilst their is a massive row of unused space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People without children (or with older children) who park in parent and toddler spaces.:mad:

In our car park they get fined :D:D:D
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's where a fictional / non fictional call your on your mobile comes in handy :)
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always a viewing crowd around the ready meals area.

Okay, choose whatever you want and move on but noooo - it's like a massive student congregation just staring at the lasagne and cottage pie.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »

Well, what I'd like them to do, the ones who do it and they know who they are, is to stop wiping their fingers over their faces/ inserting them in their mouths/ before serving me; it makes me feel a tad queasy to watch, but hard to tear my eyes away from, like watching someone in a traffc queue picking their nose.

Re the sandwiches, they transfer their face goo to the pack, it gets transferred from the pack to my fingers, then I use aforementioned fingers to grab aforementioned sandwiches.
  • marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who come up right behind you at the checkout leaving you with no space.
    Our local supermarket is near the local Further education college and the behaviour of some of the students is a disgrace, running up and down the aisle, shouting and swearing throwing stuff around.

People who take forever to pack their bags at the end of the conveyor thus delaying the queue, One advantage of Aldi and Lidl is that you bag your items away from the checkout,
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You could always use the self service tills, t

Hmm. Not keen on those I'm afraid.

Mind you I'm about to add another whinge, and I suppose self service would answer that one as well:

being bombarded with questions at the checkout, when I am not in the mood for them:

Are you using your own bags?
    Would you like help packing?
    Have you got a clubcard?
    Are you paying with that too?
    Are you collecting cutlery vouchers?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checkout staff that go really fast and THROW my food after they've scanned it.

I use the self service tills now as much as possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    It sounds awful but I hate it when they have charity bag packers at the end of the aisles, you feel forced to give them money and also they are always kids who don't pack your stuff right.

Also I have very rarely used the self service tills without it going wrong in some way and having to wait for a member of staff to come over and swipe their card to continue, I have had that happen multiple times in one shop and in the end I swore very loudly and embarrassingly at the machine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the sandwiches, they transfer their face goo to the pack, it gets transferred from the pack to my fingers, then I use aforementioned fingers to grab aforementioned sandwiches.

But has any harm been done, have you fallen ill, now you could say the same about bank notes, there even more contaminated with germs, and some nasty ones...faeces germs, but no one makes an issues of getting notes
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds awful but I hate it when they have charity bag packers at the end of the aisles, you feel forced to give them money and also they are always kids who don't pack your stuff right.

Yeah they annoy me as well! I always just say a polite "no thanks" when they offer to pack my bags, but sling a few coppers into their bucket at the end anyway.
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those people who totter around unbelievably slow with their trollies, randomly stopping in awkward places and generally seem to be completely oblivious of everybody else around them.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who allow children to stand or sit and therefore put their dirty feet in shopping trollies.

People who eat in supermarkets, especially those who eat something from the store and then don't even pay for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    "Unidentified item in the bagging area". One of the most annoying things you can hear in the supermarket.

I'm not as extreme as the OP, but it does annoy me when people lick their fingers to get the carrier bags off the roll thing. But then again, it annoys me when people lick their fingers to turn pages on books and papers. It is completely unnecessary and annoying. Nothing to do with germs, just pure irritation at the gesture. I know I'm odd.