Next door's tree fell on my roof

oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They aren't insured as this is the second time it's happened. They were told the last time that their trees needed to come down as they are dangerous.

It's a stable roof btw., not my house. He's mended it himself and it's rubbish! Two cracked roofing sheets not been touched, gutters not replaced and the corner of the roof propped up with a plank.

He's sold his house and will be moving soon. Is there anything I can do to get him to pay?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small claims court would be the only option.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    They aren't insured as this is the second time it's happened. They were told the last time that their trees needed to come down as they are dangerous.

It's a stable roof btw., not my house. He's mended it himself and it's rubbish! Two cracked roofing sheets not been touched, gutters not replaced and the corner of the roof propped up with a plank.

He's sold his house and will be moving soon. Is there anything I can do to get him to pay?

Get three quotes for carrying out the repair work required. Provide your neighbour with these quotes, and a letter before action.

Advise the neighbour that they have 14 days in which to select a quote or provide remedy or set you back to your original position (which isn't the botched repair carried previously). Thereafter you will seek to recover your loss through the Small Claims Court. Ensure the letter is sent through tracked means.

If he fails, then start a claim through Money Claim.

Is your neighbour likely to have the money / assets to rectify the problem?
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's going to Spain, so it won't be easy to find him. The house is sold subject to contract. I've heard that you can put a hold on the sale over monies owing, but that means going to a solicitor.

Does anyone know how much this will cost and how long it will take?
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Just report the matter to your own insurers. They will pay to have your property repaired and then pursue your neighbours for the money if it's deemed they are responsible for what's happened.

That's what you pay them for! If they can't collect the money from your neighbours then that's their problem, not yours.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Just report the matter to your own insurers. They will pay to have your property repaired and then pursue your neighbours for the money if it's deemed they are responsible for what's happened.

That's what you pay them for! If they can't collect the money from your neighbours then that's their problem, not yours.

This is the best way to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks that sounds do able!
  • thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    take lots of pictures and then sue him
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also inform the council planning department about the issues with the trees.

They can issue a section 215 notice on the owner because the condition of his property is affecting the amenity of the area ( ie your property).

I have done this with my neighbours neglected garden and under the order served on him he has to, amongst other things, reduce the height of the trees to 12 ft.

It's worth a go - simply instigating a dispute with the neighbour could affect the sale and get him to do something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try that Me-cheetah. But my council only seem to perform for back handers!