Chromecast - will you get it?

Comments

• RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Incase anyone is interested, Amazon.com are now shipping to the UK http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE for a total cost of £34.06

And now they have suspended international orders. This whole thing is becoming farcical.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/google-chromecast-now-shipping-outside-the-us-via-amazon-1187713
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Restorer wrote: »
    What looks to be keeping them so long is the paranoia of these damned copyright lawyers who seem to have been able for some reason to put the wind up Google :mad:. The blocking of streaming local content via Android devices was a despicable act by a company who prides itself on serving the open-source community - especially when it is allowed on so many other devices.

Good job it only cost $35 so we can continue to wait while no doubt talented developers like koush will go on chipping away at the barriers :).
    At this point, until it does gets more developer support, I will watch it in earnest
  • Grandad56Grandad56 Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Just to add my two pennyworth. I was watching Netflix on my laptop in the kitchen while the other half watches Corrie etc in the living room. I decided to purchase a Chromecast. price quoted was £34.99 delivery free. This unit came from Hong Kong. It arrived today. The delivery note advised:
    Chromecast £14.99
    Freight Charge £20.00

I connected up as instructed and tried to download Chrome. This failed several times, but eventually managed to download an old copy and update this. Ran through the setup even though it advised Win 7 (I'm on XP) failed first attempt, second try successful.

It was a lot harder to get it running on my Kindle Fire HD, but with a little perseverance and downloading Avia, I got it working as well.

I can now watch Netflix on my 22" in the kitchen, I need to check this out fully before giving it a thumbs up, on the face of it, just to watch Netflix was worth the £35 I paid. I will check out any other features, BBC IPlayer etc and get back to you.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grandad56 wrote: »
    I can now watch Netflix on my 22" in the kitchen, I need to check this out fully before giving it a thumbs up, on the face of it, just to watch Netflix was worth the £35 I paid. I will check out any other features, BBC IPlayer etc and get back to you.

Wouldn't a Roku box have been better as its £30 and includes many catchup services such as Netflix, iPlayer...?
  • Grandad56Grandad56 Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't a Roku box have been better as its £30 and includes many catchup services such as Netflix, iPlayer...?

Strange, I've just checked this out and the cheapest is shown as £39.99 and it's only 720 P outlet and from the reviews:

Weak local network media streaming support
    Poor USB play-back features
    Doesn't have apps for Lovefilm, 4oD or ITV player.

I think the Chromecast is more flexible from my laptop as anything in the Chrome browser displays on my TV. I'm finding it a struggle with the Kindle, Netflix is OK, but I'm struggling with other apps, this probably me as I'm new to the Kindle and still getting used to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Received my Chromecast on Friday, must say I was really looking forward to trying this out. Oh dear its a bit dissapointing, works fine,easy to set up but not much else. Very limited with anything decent out there, OK YouTube is good and iplayer, why no itv or channel 4 player.apart from that I see nothing unless that is you want to subscribe to stuff like Netflix. Another Google rip off. I'll probably stick it on EBay,doubt I'll lose much on it.
  • tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give it a chance 'denwyn' it was only released in the UK last week :). Third party apps are starting to be available and I am sure the likes of ITV/C4 will be on there before long.
    It has great potential I think there will be more video apps that will work on Chromecast before long, than you can shake a stick at :) .
    I got mine the first day,love it.
    Forum Member
    Just given it to my neighbour to try out, he went to Curry's to buy one,But they have none left,seems there difficult to get hold of now,I can't understand why that is,but that's just my opinion. Anyway if he likes it he will give me the £30 I paid for it. I do realise there new here,but there has been enough time for interested parties to release apps for it. I don't think its anywhere near as good as all the hype that surrounds it.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denwyn wrote: »
    there has been enough time for interested parties to release apps for it.

Why would 4od and ITV release support for it before it was even available here? Its been out for less than a week, I think its a little early to judge.

(Plus they don't need new apps, just add a bit of code to their existing apps)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it must be serious for denwyn to make only their 3rd and 4th posts in 8 years :)

i'm very happy with mine. didn't think i'd use one because i already have netflix on my bluray player,but it's so much easier to use via the iPhone and cast it to my TV.
  • tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has not really been a lot of time for developers to work on content/apps for the Chromecast 'denwyn' the SDK was only released last month.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast-sdk-released-developers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly. and like with any new hardware, it'll take time for developers to really get to grips with it and find out exactly what they can do with it.

for the price, and the ease of use it gives you for the likes of netflix and youtube, it's well worth getting now. give it a few months and i'm sure you'll be able to do a lot more with one.
    Forum Member
    Neighbor didn't want it after trying it out, so for now I have put it back in the box and may try it again in a few months. i do understand its new in the UK, but still not very impressed with the lack of stuff to use with it, yes there is quite a bit to play with for the tech minded, but i am not rally interested in the likes of Plex etc, just wanted easire and more useful apps to use with it. Time will tell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denwyn wrote: »
    Neighbor didn't want it after trying it out, so for now I have put it back in the box and may try it again in a few months. i do understand its new in the UK, but still not very impressed with the lack of stuff to use with it, yes there is quite a bit to play with for the tech minded, but i am not rally interested in the likes of Plex etc, just wanted easire and more useful apps to use with it. Time will tell

I think you have to ask yourself what you were expecting in the first place. Using Youtube and Netflix with it is an absolute joy and takes away so much messing around loading up the apps on your smart device.

If I had your approach to it, I'd have waited 6 months before buying one and just kept up to date with the progress of it rather than just getting one on the first day and expecting far too much from it.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One little trick is to press CTRL-O and it opens up a select file menu. Select a file compatible with your TV (e.g. MP4 file), and cast it.

i have successfully cast itv player from a PC via the chrome browser. I can do all the other main UK catchup services by my now TV,

I am disappointed though at the chrome beta app for android - I have not managed to get that to work yet.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What advantage does Chromecast have over attaching a tablet to a TV via an HDMI cable?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadgets/1306615/google-chromecast
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What advantage does Chromecast have over attaching a tablet to a TV via an HDMI cable?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadgets/1306615/google-chromecast

That you don't need to either sit right in front of the TV or have a long HDMI cable running along the room.

Also you get everything in native resolutions which isn't always the case when outputting content via a HDMI cable from a tablet
  • martcalmartcal Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Try Bubble Upnp, its a perfect App for casting locally stored media (e.g. movies) to the Chromecast from your Android tablet or smartphone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't an iOS equivalent of that yet. I'm interested to see how much easier it would be to cast stuff directly from my NAS drive though. I think PLEX would probably do the job, but i've read about some issues with decoding audio though but I don't mind waiting.
  • martcalmartcal Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I would try Plex but I don't have a PC to install the Server software. I've only got a Chromebook, a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the iOS plex app on iTunes seems to indicate you don't need the server running on the PC .. i'd quite happily pay the £2.99 for it but i don't want to waste the money if it's not going to work.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google's new app photowall is slowly rolling out. iOS only right now but there's already a link to the android app. Just not enabled yet.

http://g.co/photowall
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope as I now have a quad core android tv box £57 from DX.com
    Ive also got a HTPC as well.
    Can't think anything the Chromecast can do anything more then I already have? Unless you can convince me?
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    Nope as I now have a quad core android tv box £57 from DX.com
    Ive also got a HTPC as well.
    Can't think anything the Chromecast can do anything more then I already have? Unless you can convince me?
    Why should anyone make the effort to convince you? :confused: