Options

Choking / Swallowing problems - Reflux?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone ever have this problem?

When I eat I choke on my food with no warning at all - no matter how slowly I eat, how carefully and how much I chew my food.

Sometimes I have to vomit to clear the blockage and it can be scary as I can't breathe.

I also choke just as I'm falling asleep - I'm just about to drift off and suddenly lurch awake coughing and spluttering.

I feel like there is always something stuck in my throat.

Seeing Doc on Wednesday but curious if anyone has had similar problems.

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Reflux is when you feel you are about to vomit with acid coming up from the stomach. Usually solved by a better choice of food, but can also be caused by drugs for high blood pressure.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep i used to have similar problems a few years ago, acid reflux and a few incidents where i would be unable to breathe for a couple of minutes, woke up once in the night with this, serems to have cleared up now, go to your doctor
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I sometimes get the choking sensation when I'm falling asleep. It's like my throat has dried up but it's linked to a dream about choking on something.

This has happened intermittently to me for many years. I've come to the conclusion that it happens when I'm stressed or anxious.

Could your symptoms have some psychological cause do you think ? I do appreciate that they are very real and 'physical' but maybe it has a psychological explanation.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I sometimes get the choking sensation when I'm falling asleep. It's like my throat has dried up but it's linked to a dream about choking on something.

This has happened intermittently to me for many years. I've come to the conclusion that it happens when I'm stressed or anxious.

Could your symptoms have some psychological cause do you think ? I do appreciate that they are very real and 'physical' but maybe it has a psychological explanation.

I've also had the horrible experience of waking up choking and unable to breathe. It's horrible. I take tablets now, which help a great deal, but I notice that I am becoming more sensitive to certain foods. Curry is a complete no-no, but it seems that even a shepherds pie set me off the other night. Rogan Josh is the worst possible reaction!

It's clearly physical and not psychological, although stress in general can have a bad effect on all aspects of health, I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I've also had the horrible experience of waking up choking and unable to breathe. It's horrible. I take tablets now, which help a great deal, but I notice that I am becoming more sensitive to certain foods. Curry is a complete no-no, but it seems that even a shepherds pie set me off the other night. Rogan Josh is the worst possible reaction!

It's clearly physical and not psychological, although stress in general can have a bad effect on all aspects of health, I suppose.

I'm getting afraid to eat anything!

I understand that tomatoes and onions are big culprits along with dairy - basically my favourite things!

I need to keep a diary I think but I'd love to get tablets just to sleep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am open to any possibility at all - if it's psychological I'm not sure what it is - weirdly I'm the least stressed right now that I have been for ages!

It's amazing how bodies react to things though,
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    red tulips wrote: »
    Does anyone ever have this problem?

When I eat I choke on my food with no warning at all - no matter how slowly I eat, how carefully and how much I chew my food.

Sometimes I have to vomit to clear the blockage and it can be scary as I can't breathe.

I also choke just as I'm falling asleep - I'm just about to drift off and suddenly lurch awake coughing and spluttering.

I feel like there is always something stuck in my throat.

Seeing Doc on Wednesday but curious if anyone has had similar problems.

Good to know your seeing your GP this week. Hope all goes well.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    red tulips wrote: »
    I'm getting afraid to eat anything!

I understand that tomatoes and onions are big culprits along with dairy - basically my favourite things!

I need to keep a diary I think but I'd love to get tablets just to sleep.

I know the feeling! The shepherds pie was a real shock, as it was very bland food!

I'm interested that you've heard something about tomatoes, though, as this seems to be my experience. I am also lactose intolerant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I know the feeling! The shepherds pie was a real shock, as it was very bland food!

I'm interested that you've heard something about tomatoes, though, as this seems to be my experience. I am also lactose intolerant.

My daughter had 'gerd' - a more severe form of reflux as a baby and the worst things were tomatoes and anything in the gourd family. Still age 4 she can't eat squash, pumpkin etc.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it's usually stress or anxiety on rare occasions that causes it with me.
    Understanding what causes it means you can control, or even eliminate it.
    I've become aware of it and I've learned that a few deep breaths and a drink of water overcomes it.