Do you agree with the Life Sentence for the Royal Marine?.

U96U96 Posts: 13,937
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25271157

So. Sgt Alexander Blackman was sentenced to life imprisonment with a min of 10 years today.For killing the enemy.Dismissed with disgrace.

Do you think that's the right punishment?.Would you have given him more ,or less?,or what?.

Do you agree with the life sentence for the Royal Marine?. 434 votes

Yes.It's about right.
47% 205 votes
No.He should have been given a lesser sentence.
20% 88 votes
No.He should have been given a harsher sentence.
6% 28 votes
He should have been discharged.End of.
9% 42 votes
He should have been reduced to the ranks.
5% 22 votes
He should have been re-instated as Sgt and returned to duty.
11% 49 votes

Comments

• Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the man had already been apprehended and was no danger to them, you can't just go around shooting people because you feel like it. he committed murder, he's going to prison for it, what part of that scenario could you possibly disagree with...
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was imprisoned for life for committing murder.

Whether murder as a civil crime, or murder as in killing someone in breach of the protections afforded them in the 1949 Geneva Convention - it's still "murder". And what's more the marine KNEW the Convention, and KNEW he'd broken it.

There's been some debate as to whether he should instead have been tried at the international War Crimes Court at the Hague, as a breach of the 1949 Convention is a war crime...

But the charge would have been the same, just phrased differently - and thus the penalty/tarriff would have been the same.
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    No I dont agree he should serve more than 10 years...........murderer
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the man had already been apprehended and was no danger to them, you can't just go around shooting people because you feel like it. he committed murder, he's going to prison for it, what part of that scenario could you possibly disagree with...

So you see it the same light as me walking out into the street and stabbing my neighbour because he looked at me in a 'funny' way?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was imprisoned for life for committing murder.

Whether murder as a civil crime, or murder as in killing someone in breach of the protections afforded them in the 1949 Geneva Convention - it's still "murder". And what's more the marine KNEW the Convention, and KNEW he'd broken it.

There's been some debate as to whether he should instead have been tried at the international War Crimes Court at the Hague, as a breach of the 1949 Convention is a war crime...

But the charge would have been the same, just phrased differently - and thus the penalty/tarriff would have been the same.

10 years for killing the Taliban.You couldn't make it up.
    Join the Royal Marines.Serve 15 years for Queen and country.
    Get into the 'kill zone',make a mistake and get hung out to dry.Loss of pension rights,your wife and kids can go to hell as far as the MOD are concerned.It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I dont agree he should serve more than 10 years...........murderer

You wouldn't be saying that if he was shooting at you a minute earlier- would you?.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't agree with the sentence. IMO he should have got less time or even just discharged, I am unsure on that.
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be saying that if he was shooting at you a minute earlier- would you?.

Dont try and pass this of as some sort of self defense because it wasnt, it was murder pure and simple
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get into the 'kill zone',make a mistake and get hung out to dry.Loss of pension rights,your wife and kids can go to hell as far as the MOD are concerned.It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I'll post up something I posted on another forum some weeks ago now...regarding the present state of the "Laws and customs of war" as well as the pre-1949 position...
    That was one of the main changes of emphasis incuded in the 1949 Geneva Convention; it no longer took BOTH belligerents in a war to be signatories to international rules for them to be valid between them.

This was one of the Problems with the earlier Hague Conventions and the Hague Rules on land Wrfare; they only applied BETWEEN signatories. Thus when the Finns (signatories) went to war with the Soviets (NOT signatories) in 1939...Stalin agreed with the Finns that they'd both recognise various bits of the Hague Rules for the duration on a one-off basis.

When Hitler invaded the USSR in 1941, Stalin (STILL not a signatory) attempted to reach a similar agreement with Hitler (Germany was a signatory) via the Bulgarians IIRC...but THIS time Hitler refused, believing the war in the East would be short and agreeing its conduct would be unnecessary - and thus because the Hague Rules were not activated when only ONE combatant was a signatory...the gloves were off on the Eastern Front as we all know...

As we also know - the victorious Allies turned this on its head at the IMT, arguing that the "laws and customs of war" applied to ALL sides if they were commonly upheld by all....it's also the basis of the modern Law of International Treaties achieved many decades later...but a level of dissatisfaction with that kludge at Nuremberg meant that the responsibility was changed in the 1949 Convention and was devolved upon each individual signatory, rather than pairs of them any longer.

Because of THAT - we signed it, WE have to abide by it; the Taliban didn't, so they don't have to!!! Yeah, makes a hell of a lot of sense, but that's the way it is

Now - the war in Afghanistan wasn't ALWAYS that clear from 2001 onwards, George W.Bush argued that the Taliban didn't enjoy any of the protections of the Geneva Convention...but this was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2008 as a result of an appeal by one of the Guantanamo Bay prisoners. From that day on, the Americans have HAD to abide by the Convention in their treatment of the Taliban.

The rules are 100% clear in the 1949 Convention for how wounded combatants - enemy soldiers in the field OR ENEMY INSURGENTS -should...must...be treated.

Breaking those rules, let alone letting breaches of them go unpunished properly, makes our soldiers no better at all than the Taliban. It would reduce the British Army to no better than the sort of evil we're supposed to be there to bring an end to, the sort of evil that would keep the people of Afghanistan back in some primitive Dark Age of findamentalist beliefs and lack of personal freedoms, the sort of evil that shoots girls in the street for daring to learn.

For good or ill we have as a nation accepted certain standards of civilised behaviour upon ourselves in various circumstances; these are the laws and customs we have accepted for our soldiers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont try and pass this of as some sort of self defense because it wasnt, it was murder pure and simple

Because the court says so? Or because you thought so anyway? Or because he killed someone? Or because it wasn't self defence? Or because it wasn't self defence in the eyes of the law? Or because you don't view it as self defence?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What mistake did he make?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't agree with the sentence. IMO he should have got less time or even just discharged, I am unsure on that.

It's fair enough he was judged by his own peers.But this is just PC box ticking.
    In my eyes this is breaking the military covenant.
    Train them up as killers,send them off to a shithole no-one cares about.Then,when they balls up(as this guy surely did).Hang them out to dry.Job done.It makes me sick.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that what happened though? I'm not familiar with the case, but a quick read through the BBC article says that he murdered a PRISONER. He murdered an unarmed man - and the judge said that the marine was under no immediate danger.

Murder. There is no other word for it.
  • Kayyy92Kayyy92 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I agree he should be dismissed with disgrace and sentenced but I don't think he should have got life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fair enough he was judged by his own peers.But this is just PC box ticking.
    Train them up as killers,send them off to a shithole no-one cares about.Then,when they balls up(as this guy surely did).Hang them out to dry.Job done.It makes me sick.

Thing is - that's too simplistic.

What the Army does is to train them up as soldiers, as killers within the laws and customs of war. This man stepped outside those laws, and KNEW and ACCEPTED he had stepped outside them. That's not a "sin of ommission", simply not knowing the rules of war and engagement....that's a "sin of commission", being perfectly aware of what he was doing. Soldiers are schooled...trained...in their legal responsibilities and obligations.
    Forum Member
    Because the court says so? Or because you thought so anyway? Or because he killed someone? Or because it wasn't self defence? Or because it wasn't self defence in the eyes of the law? Or because you don't view it as self defence?

What :confused: did you hear the tapes? did it sound like self defense to you or did it sound like murder?, did he not tell his colleagues to keep quiet about it as he knew what he did was a criminal act?

Or is that we just dont care because the victim was a member of the taliban
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is exactly how I feel. I haven't read the guys background properly, but I'm not sure it really matters.

IMO... take a badly behaived teen with no great future prospects, straight from failing his or her GCSEs, and train them to be a killer.. this is exactly what will happen. Then our governing body blames them directly? It doesn't sit well with me!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Don't really have a problem with that TBH.
    It's our troops, rather than our politicians, who're on the ground in these places and how can we expect them to be treated with trust and respect by allies, let alone civilians, if we don't hold ourselves to certain standards?

A shame that politicians can't be held to account as easily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll post up something I posted on another forum some weeks ago now...regarding the present state of the "Laws and customs of war" as well as the pre-1949 position...

The rules are 100% clear in the 1949 Convention for how wounded combatants - enemy soldiers in the field OR ENEMY INSURGENTS -should...must...be treated.

Breaking those rules, let alone letting breaches of them go unpunished properly, makes our soldiers no better at all than the Taliban. It would reduce the British Army to no better than the sort of evil we're supposed to be there to bring an end to, the sort of evil that would keep the people of Afghanistan back in some primitive Dark Age of findamentalist beliefs and lack of personal freedoms, the sort of evil that shoots girls in the street for daring to learn.

For good or ill we have as a nation accepted certain standards of civilised behaviour upon ourselves in various circumstances; these are the laws and customs we have accepted for our soldiers.

Rules are rules and all that.But I still think the book has been thrown at this sacrificial lamb.'Look at us,we play by the rules what what?'.
    At the very most.I'd have sentenced this chap to 3 years.
    Even his CO has stated the war had 'tainted ' him.
    Sometimes the rules and regs have to be bent.
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So our government is happy with blanket bombing and killing innocent civilians there...but dare to kill the actual enemy and get a life sentence.

His superiors already said he was probably suffering from stress, at seeing his comrades murdered with their body parts hung from trees to taunt them....sod the terrorist...a petition should be started to free him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and train them to be a killer..
    "I just broke the Geneva Convention"

The British Army....in fact ANY army of a nation that's a signatory of all the international conventions that codify the laws and customs of war...trains its soldiers as killers within certain legal paramters - and this marine knew what they were because he knew when he'd broken them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So our government is happy with blanket bombing and killing innocent civilians there...but dare to kill the actual enemy and get a life sentence.

First of all....

"Government" and "Army" are two different things;

Secondly...

WE don't "blanket bomb" - we don't actually DO that any more, WE don't have the capacity. The Americans do - the carpet bombing of the Republican Guard during Gulf War One, of the Tora Bora Mountains at the start of the Afghan war....but WE don't.

His superiors already said he was probably suffering from stress, at seeing his comrades murdered with their body parts hung from trees to taunt them....sod the terrorist...
    "I just broke the Geneva Convention"

Thing is - he seems to have been perfectly aware of what he was doing, of his legal obligations, and right and wrong. As a result of his own statement he has removed that as a factor in his defence.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    First of all....

"Government" and "Army" are two different things;

Secondly...

WE don't "blanket bomb" - we don't actually DO that any more, WE don't have the capacity. The Americans do - the carpet bombing of the Republican Guard during Gulf War One, of the Tora Bora Mountains at the start of the Afghan war....but WE don't.

I thought "carpet bombing" was banned anyway, after WW2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What :confused: did you hear the tapes? did it sound like self defense to you or did it sound like murder?, did he not tell his colleagues to keep quiet about it as he knew what he did was a criminal act?

Or is that we just dont care because the victim was a member of the taliban

He totally bollocksed up by being caught.
    It's true that the Geneva Convention Rules and Regs are drummed into the Military.Especially in Afghanistan.'Treat prisoners with dignity and respect etc'.What a load of shit.
    Do people think the Taliban are going to see this story and think 'oh,what a jolly fine bunch of chaps those Brits are-treating our savage, murderous IED planting,no human rights,our way or death 'soldiers'.
    Join the military and they'll shit on you from a great height.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason we are there is because we are supposed to be the civilised ones & 'they' are the savages.

That's why we are there apparently.

So no sympathy from me.

Life for murder.